GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Luongo Leaving Vancouver?

+7
PTFlea
Mojo
wprager
SeawaySensFan
SensGirl11
shabbs
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

31Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:37 am

SensGirl11 wrote:The same could be said for Brodeur. He's really had a rough go at the playoffs the last 3 or 4 years. They are way overplaying him in the regular season.

He's amazing, and he has 3 Stanley Cup rings already. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Luongo, but they need to stop playing him so much, or they won't ever win a Cup again.

Brodure isnt the same goalie he used to be, but he was still a money goaltender. Play consistant all the time, and played big when it counts.

No excuses this year because he has 1/2 the season off. Right now you are seeing the gradual decline of Brodure. He also hasnt been the same since Stevens and Niedamayer left as well. Brodure's best days are behind him and now all he is going to do is set some records that may very well be out of reach, at least for a while.

Brodure has his place in the HHOF locked up, Luongo has a lot to prove before he can even be spoken in the same sentance with Brodure, IMO.

32Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Neely4Life wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:The same could be said for Brodeur. He's really had a rough go at the playoffs the last 3 or 4 years. They are way overplaying him in the regular season.

He's amazing, and he has 3 Stanley Cup rings already. I wouldn't put him in the same category as Luongo, but they need to stop playing him so much, or they won't ever win a Cup again.

Brodure isnt the same goalie he used to be, but he was still a money goaltender. Play consistant all the time, and played big when it counts.

No excuses this year because he has 1/2 the season off. Right now you are seeing the gradual decline of Brodure. He also hasnt been the same since Stevens and Niedamayer left as well. Brodure's best days are behind him and now all he is going to do is set some records that may very well be out of reach, at least for a while.

Brodure has his place in the HHOF locked up, Luongo has a lot to prove before he can even be spoken in the same sentance with Brodure, IMO.

Fraudeur is pretty much the same goalie he always was. The Devils just aren't the team they used to be.

It seems like just a few weeks ago the "experts" were unanimously giving the Devils a bye into the Eastern Final because of Fraudeurs infallibility. Funny stuff.

33Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Meh, I dont think he is as good as he used to be. There is some truth to him being over rated and his stats being inflated because of the era and the type of team and system he plays with, but thats not what made him great, it was his consistancy.

Anyone who think Brodure is the best goaltender of all time is just looking at the stats, the best goaltender of all time is Roy. 3 Conn Smyths maybe never done again (further out of reach then the SO record), and Roy was the best, against the best everytime out. Look no further than the 2001 Final where Roy bested Brodure (Brodure in his prime).

Luongo will never be either of those guys, not even close. Doesnt have the mentaility or foritude to be that great.

34Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 11:57 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hard to argue with that when Luongo just got bested by a Cup winner in Bulin.

35Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Yup, people can rip Bulin all they want too, he has a cup and is showing it wasnt a fluke he got it. Bulin may very well go down as the best Russian Goaltender to ever play in the NHL. If he gets Chicago to the Cup, he might have gotten himself into the HHOF as well.

Winning is something some are born with, and something others learn hard lessons in. In the end, the character always comes out on top. Its no different in Ottawa or Vancouver.

36Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 12:02 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Neely4Life wrote:Meh, I dont think he is as good as he used to be. There is some truth to him being over rated and his stats being inflated because of the era and the type of team and system he plays with, but thats not what made him great, it was his consistancy.

Anyone who think Brodure is the best goaltender of all time is just looking at the stats, the best goaltender of all time is Roy. 3 Conn Smyths maybe never done again (further out of reach then the SO record), and Roy was the best, against the best everytime out. Look no further than the 2001 Final where Roy bested Brodure (Brodure in his prime).

Luongo will never be either of those guys, not even close. Doesnt have the mentaility or foritude to be that great.

You're right. But Brodeurs decline is far from precipitous. He's still pretty close to where he's always been. The other thing that has been consistent is the Devils system and rosters that have executed that system night in and night out.

And I agree. Roy is the better goalie. By far, IMO, which leaves room in between Roy and Brodeur for other goalies including Luongo.

37Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 12:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Meh... the Vancouver fans will all simmer down and cooler heads will prevail. Luongo will remain a Canuck. You can book it.

38Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 12:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Meh... the Vancouver fans will all simmer down and cooler heads will prevail. Luongo will remain a Canuck. You can book it.

In order for that to happen the fans will have to sign him to an extension at some point next year. They won't lose him for nothing.

39Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Meh... the Vancouver fans will all simmer down and cooler heads will prevail. Luongo will remain a Canuck. You can book it.

In order for that to happen the fans will have to sign him to an extension at some point next year. They won't lose him for nothing.
Yeah, that's what I was intimating... he'll sign an extension.

40Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 12:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was intimating... he'll sign an extension.

Could be. Luongo strikes me as a player who would buy into the whole "unfinished business" thing.

41Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs...careful with those predictions... Wink

Here's something to think about...

Spezza, Heatley, Elliott <> Luongo, Hodgson, Bieksa...

42Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:29 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:

Mark Spector is of the opinion that Vancouver are lacking shutdown D. I'm starting to see a deal here...

43Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 pm

davetherave wrote:

um Suspect do you feel like explaining the logic on that one?

44Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

Both Heatley and Spezza? Hesuz....

The centerpiece of the deal is Luongo for Spezza, right? So, Heatley for Hodgson? I love Hodgson, but that's really steep. Elliott for Bieksa is fair enough.

How about:

Jason Spezza
Anton Volchenkov
Pascal Leclaire
9th overall pick this draft

for

Luongo
Hodgson
Bernier
Vancouver's 1st round pick (20 something).

45Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Spezza, Heatley, Elliott Luongo, Hodgson, Bieksa...

um Suspect do you feel like explaining the logic on that one?

I'll leave that to our GMHockey gang to toss around...

And let you figure it out...you're a knowledgeble fan.

Wink

46Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle it, I can't let Volchenkov go, I just can't. I love Luongo and Hodgson, but A-Train hurts.

47Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Switch Berner for Edler and we're talking again though - probably take Vancouver's 1st rounder out.

48Luongo Leaving Vancouver? - Page 3 Empty Re: Luongo Leaving Vancouver? Wed May 13, 2009 2:44 pm

504Heater wrote:
davetherave wrote:

Spezza, Heatley, Elliott Luongo, Hodgson, Bieksa...

Both Heatley and Spezza? Hesuz....

The centerpiece of the deal is Luongo for Spezza, right? So, Heatley for Hodgson? I love Hodgson, but that's really steep. Elliott for Bieksa is fair enough.

How about:

Jason Spezza
Anton Volchenkov
Pascal Leclaire
9th overall pick this draft

for

Luongo
Hodgson
Bernier
Vancouver's 1st round pick (20 something).

I don't like it. Not a big fan of Berniers and he didn't really impress me in the playoffs.
Let's assume Spezza for Luongo leaves us having to even things out a bit, so we add Leclaire but that leaves them having to even out a bit. They add Hodgson, so we add? Volchenkov? I don't think so.

Also Imo our 1st should really only be put into a package that moves us up in the draft, but obviously some specifics could change my opinion on that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum