GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day: Sharks at Senators

+14
asq2
PKC
Hayden
Cap'n Clutch
The Silfer Server
beerandsens
Cronie
shabbs
Flo The Action
Hockeyhero22000
SeawaySensFan
wprager
PTFlea
davetherave
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

The NHL leaders visit the Nation's Capital tonight.

The San Jose Sharks, number one right now with 91 points, have created controversy among those who argue over who is the NHL's best team. But anyone who has watched them play knows the Sharks are a hockey machine with strength at every position. Brian Boucher may be one of the best backup goaltenders in the in the NHL (9-1-2, .932 SV%, 1.79 GAA).

With the coaching change from the irascible Ron Wilson to ex-Wings assistant Todd McLellan; and the addition of Cup-winning defensemen in Dan Boyle, Rob Blake and Brad Lukowich, as well as the irrepressible Claude Lemieux; many are picking the Sharks to be one of the Western Finalists--and perhaps finally Cup worthy. Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton have never been better.

There are some Ottawa connections here, with local boys Boyle and Sharks GM Doug Wilson.

Here's TSN's snapshot:

Coming off a tough loss to their main competition in the Western Conference, the San Jose Sharks will try for a quick turnaround in tonight's battle with the Ottawa Senators at Scotiabank Place.

Ottawa halted a three-game slide with Tuesday's 4-2 decision over Carolina at Scotiabank Place. The newly re-acquired Mike Comrie recorded the eventual game-winning tally as part of a three-goal barrage for the Senators in the first period.

Comrie was playing in his second game since being traded to the Senators from the New York Islanders last Friday. The 28-year-old center also played 41 games for Ottawa as a mid-season pickup in 2006-07 and played a key part in the team's run to the Stanley Cup Finals that season.

Dany Heatley, Chris Kelly and Jason Spezza also had goals for Ottawa to back a sensational performance from goaltender Alex Auld, who turned back 41-of-43 Carolina shots.

Ottawa began a season-long eight-game homestand with Tuesday's triumph and improved to 13-10-5 at Scotiabank Place for the season.

The Senators will be in search of their first win over the Sharks since a 4-1 decision in San Jose on October 18, 2003. The teams have met twice since, with the Sharks taking both matchups.

The Sharks' lead atop the West was shortened by the Detroit Red Wings last night, with the defending Stanley Cup champions snapping San Jose's four-game winning streak with a 4-1 victory at Joe Louis Arena.

The triumph moved Detroit within three points of San Jose in the standings, although the Sharks do have two games in hand on the Wings.

Christian Ehrhoff had the lone San Jose goal and Evgeni Nabokov allowed four goals on 33 shots for the Sharks in Wednesday's defeat.

San Jose will be playing the third test of a four-game road trip tonight and conclude the trek with a visit to Montreal on Saturday. The Sharks opened the jaunt with a 1-0 victory over fellow Pacific Division member Dallas on Monday, with Nabokov stopping all 29 shots he faced.

San Jose came through with a 2-0 win over the Senators in its most recent visit to Ottawa, which came on January 12, 2006.

2Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll admit to being a teeny bit scared.

But, we have to lose, so at least we have the odds with us this time. Smile

3Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Game is on RDS,CSN-BA,SNET-E (HD).

Sadly, not on atdhe.net Sad

Now I have no reason for dropping my Lite for something heavier.

4Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

According to Ice Chips Auld gets the start. Maybe they *will* send Elliott down if Gerbs clears.

5Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:According to Ice Chips Auld gets the start. Maybe they *will* send Elliott down if Gerbs clears.

Gerber's not clearing. Murray wouldn't call him up if he knew otherwise.

6Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:02 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Good opportunity to see how the Senators measure up against the best.

7Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Who was "the best" when they lost to Boston in the shootout?

8Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Who was "the best" when they lost to Boston in the shootout?

I'm not even going to go there...Sharks have 91 points, best in the NHL. See my post above.

9Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm just saying they played pretty even against Boston. Of course Boston was playing the second night in a row. And San Jose will be playing in a different time zone.

10Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

Again no changes to the lineup tonight

11Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I'm just saying they played pretty even against Boston. Of course Boston was playing the second night in a row. And San Jose will be playing in a different time zone.

Understood, Prags...but at this level, IMHO the whole question of who is 'The Best' is measured in increments...

Watching San Jose and Boston play on a number of occasions this year, I asked myself who besides them we could expect to see in the Finals. I would say at this point Detroit and New Jersey are the most likely candidates. But as we know, when the playoffs start, it's a whole new playing field.

The Wings-Sharks matchup last night was a demonstration of Detroit's ability to control a game.

Then again, we've seen teams like Columbus beat both of them.

I am curious to see how Clouston will approach this challenge.
8)

12Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

scared is an understatement. i've got SJS picked to make the finals this year, and win the cup. can't help but respect a team that is that solid. it will be really exciting to watch especially if we can keep up. maybe we'll win? that would be a solid for the confidence and chemistry of this team.

13Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some comparison stats from ESPN...

Game Day: Sharks at Senators Sharkssens

Been on training all week... haven't had a chance to get my usual Game Day Thread up. Glad to see people step up to the plate!

Smile

14Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

No prob, Shabbs...just bring the virtual beer n' nachos... Cheering

15Game Day: Sharks at Senators Empty Re: Game Day: Sharks at Senators Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let's rock this joint.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum