GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis?

+13
bravenash55
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
beerandsens
Riprock
Urkie
beedub
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Jordo
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

91Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is that his name? He goes by Irish Blues too, right?

92Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:57 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Is that his name? He goes by Irish Blues too, right?

I really don't know. It would make sense, tho'. He's Irish, and I'll just go ahead and guess that he might be a Blues fan. Razz

93Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Yes. My bad (as usual) Fisher isn't making 6 million, that's my imagination. What is this "cap" you speak of?

I'm cold and confused. Where are my meds?

I find this to be the absolute best:

[url=http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=OTT
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=OTT[/quote[/url]]

If I knew what a cap is, I would tell you that I'm partial to nhlnumbers.

Rooney's one of the better cap guys out there, but the simple definition is:

A team has 56.7 million as of now to use at their disposal. The cap goes up or down depending on the attendance and revenues of each team, but it's the same number for each team.

So, if you have 55 million to spend next year - you have to factor that in when you're signing players. Mike Fisher, for example, might be paid 6 million dollars this year, but in reality, he signed a 5 year, 21 million dollar deal. The NHL doesn't care what he's being paid per year, just what the average of that salary is (4.2 million).

So by that rationale, you could be paying the Sens 65 million dollars, but the average of their contracts adds up to just under 50 million. In subsequent years you might be paying the Sens 40 million dollars in actual cash, but the salary cap is still the same.

Players who are waived to the minors don't count against the cap, but they are still paid their NHL salary if they're on a 1-way contract (meaning NHL only). Players on a two-way contract have a salary for the NHL and a salary for the AHL. These two salaries differ greatly, but the same applies, if this player is sent to the minors, he no longer counts against the cap.

That's some of it in a nutshell. There's more obviously, but that's the basic gist.

94Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's also a HARD cap, meaning that a team may not go over it at any point.

Also, players on long term injury reserve have their salaries taken off the cap for the amount of time they're on the IR.

95Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

[quote="504Heater"]
SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Yes. My bad (as usual) Fisher isn't making 6 million, that's my imagination. What is this "cap" you speak of?

I'm cold and confused. Where are my meds?

I find this to be the absolute best:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=OTT[/quote]

If I knew what a cap is, I would tell you that I'm partial to nhlnumbers.

Rooney's one of the better cap guys out there, but the simple definition is:

A team has 56.7 million as of now to use at their disposal. The cap goes up or down depending on the attendance and revenues of each team, but it's the same number for each team.

So, if you have 55 million to spend next year - you have to factor that in when you're signing players. Mike Fisher, for example, might be paid 6 million dollars this year, but in reality, he signed a 5 year, 21 million dollar deal. The NHL doesn't care what he's being paid per year, just what the average of that salary is (4.2 million).

So by that rationale, you could be paying the Sens 65 million dollars, but the average of their contracts adds up to just under 50 million. In subsequent years you might be paying the Sens 40 million dollars in actual cash, but the salary cap is still the same.

Players who are waived to the minors don't count against the cap, but they are still paid their NHL salary if they're on a 1-way contract (meaning NHL only). Players on a two-way contract have a salary for the NHL and a salary for the AHL. These two salaries differ greatly, but the same applies, if this player is sent to the minors, he no longer counts against the cap.

That's some of it in a nutshell. There's more obviously, but that's the basic gist.

I was following until you said "one". Thanks anyway.

96Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

^ Haha, dude that took time to write. Read.

97Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:17 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:^ Haha, dude that took time to write. Read.

Don't need to. I understand the cap. My original point was that Vermette will not get the same opportunity as Fisher because Fisher makes significantly more. Cap-wise or, as I said, in real dollars.

98Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh man...I should have asked if you were serious or not.

99Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Oh man...I should have asked if you were serious or not.

People want to jump in to "correct" me, I say things. :_:

100Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LMAO!! you kill me Seaway!

101Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Here's an interesting twist- would you trade Fisher for Hamhuis?
Would Nashville need to sweeten the pot a little?

102Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

ouch Jordo... that's a toughie.

I'm trying my best not to be biased, but I think Nashville would have to sweeten the pot just a little. Not a 1st or anything, but a 2nd or decent prospect perhaps; but then again, I'd rather throw them Vermette over Fisher personally.

103Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:01 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:Here's an interesting twist- would you trade Fisher for Hamhuis?
Would Nashville need to sweeten the pot a little?

I would. Nashville would add salary to the deal to even things up. Talent-wise, we would win a straight-up deal.

104Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:02 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:Oh man...I should have asked if you were serious or not.

People want to jump in to "correct" me, I say things. :_:

People around this site have cited the $6 mil figure for Fisher 1,000,000 times, always to trash him and his contract, but that number is meaningless and the statement mis-representative. That's why I hate when people cite it.

I fully understand what you're saying, re: Fisher makes more than Vermette, and I'm with you in the sense of being a Vermette booster. Just don't twist the facts to make Fisher look worse, that's all.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but to be fair, Vermette blew his chances this year. He spent most of the 1st 1/3rd of the season in the top 6 and created nothing. He's going now, perhaps you'll say -- true, and great. But is he going now because the pressure is less and the opposition he's facing as a 3rd liner is less -- or because he's really top-6 material? The jury remains out. I like Vermette and don't want to trade him, but he really hasn't earned much to this point, or taken advantage of the opportunities he's been given.

105Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Rooney-

I bet the $10mil, $8mil, $6mil, and $5.5 mil that are being paid to Heatley, Spezza, Fisher, and Alfie, respectively this year aren't meaningless to Melnyk
affraid

106Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:07 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bang on Jordo... Something has got to give for sure.

107Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Jordo wrote:Rooney-

I bet the $10mil, $8mil, $6mil, and $5.5 mil that are being paid to Heatley, Spezza, Fisher, and Alfie, respectively this year aren't meaningless to Melnyk
affraid

Doesn't change the fact that those numbers mean absolutely nothing in terms of the salary cap. The total salary amount divided by the years in the contract = the only number that matters in the grand scheme of things.

108Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 7 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:15 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Jordo wrote:Rooney-

affraid

So you're saying that when Melnyk is paying that group 5, 4, 3.8 and 3, respectively, that he'll care less about losing?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum