GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis?

+13
bravenash55
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
beerandsens
Riprock
Urkie
beedub
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Jordo
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

31Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 pm

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Here's what I was going to say about the deal, but this is because I always thought of Hamhuis as a #3 dman... the HF Boards posting you just put up would suggest he is a legit #2 in which case I might reconsider...

I wouldn't do it as a solo deal. I might do it if you show me what forward player we get after the deal but I'm not excited about leaving it to the uncertainty of the UFA market.

It's probably one of the best returns we could get for a guy like Vermette, but IMO still not worth it. I don't see the void left on the PK being filled by anyone else and we are just starting to have some semblance of secondary scoring. I don't think Hamhuis' offensive upside would balance it out, so we would have to turn around and get another forward who can put up some points.

I'm basically hoping we have other trade-able players on our team who can get us decent dman value coming back. If not, well...

32Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:

Heatley-Spezza-The Alfie
Campoli-Hamhuis

That would be one hell of a PP unit.[/quote]

I think they'd be pretty lethal 5-on-5 as well.

33Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Heatley-Spezza-The Alfie
Campoli-Hamhuis

That would be one hell of a PP unit.

I think they'd be pretty lethal 5-on-5 as well.[/quote]

The pizza/cash line would be back, does Pizza Pizza (or whatever pizza place that was) still do that for home games?

34Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

cash wrote:Trading Vermette is a mistake. N4L is right when he says that there is no more complete player on this team, besides Alfie.

He's just entering his prime and he's putting up a ppg (almost) over the past two months. Yeah, I know he did the same thing last season at this time, but there's no harm in seeing what he's got under Clouston for another 12 months. We can always trade him next deadline, if thats the thing to do...

How many times have we said this about Vermette?

35Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Last four seasons I believe. It's amazing, Vermette never ages!!! He's constantly entering his prime, I wish I could say that.

36Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jordo wrote:
cash wrote:Trading Vermette is a mistake. N4L is right when he says that there is no more complete player on this team, besides Alfie.

He's just entering his prime and he's putting up a ppg (almost) over the past two months. Yeah, I know he did the same thing last season at this time, but there's no harm in seeing what he's got under Clouston for another 12 months. We can always trade him next deadline, if thats the thing to do...

How many times have we said this about Vermette?

Not half as often as we've said "Fish is back!!!" this season.

I agree that has been overused in Vermette's case.

37Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Amen to that.

It's like the boy who cried wolf personally. Maybe Vermette will crank it up and keep it cranked, but we've been waiting for what, 3 seasons now at least to see him fulfill his potential... It's a hard-decision, that's for sure.

38Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:55 pm

Cronie wrote:Amen to that.

It's like the boy who cried wolf personally. Maybe Vermette will crank it up and keep it cranked, but we've been waiting for what, 3 seasons now at least to see him fulfill his potential... It's a hard-decision, that's for sure.
Not really a hard-decision at all. It is so much harder to find a high minute eating skilled defenseman than a borderline top 6 forward. If this was actually a valid proposal, I would make this deal in a heartbeat. These are the kind of deals that you need to make to improve the franchise.

39Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:59 pm

How many defencemen would we have then...

10 NHL'ers and one high end prospect yikes.

Who are we keeping (7) then for next year...

Lee
Smith
Volchenkov
Campoli
Phillips
*Hamhuis*
*Karlsson*

means minimum getting rid of (trade, minors, waive)...

Kuba
Picard
Bell
Schubert

I still don't see a STUD in our top four. Karlsson could be a great 'O' guy but never will he be a prototypical stud because of his size. Plus he may not be NHL ready.

The list of Studs really...

Webber
Phaneuf (bad year though)
Pronger
Chara Crying
Blake
Bouwmeester

Am I missing anyone?

The top 'o' guys (where Karlsson would fit hopefully)...

Green
Boyle
Neidermeyer
Rafalski
Markov
Lidstrom
Streit
Campbell

So I guess I would love to see us go after Hedman, get him a nice mean streak and turn him into a stud. That or...

we get into the Bouwmester stakes or...

go back three years choke the life out of Muckler and have the 'new' GM keep Chara ahead of Redden. We would have had a cup :x

40Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:How many defencemen would we have then...

Lee
Smith
Volchenkov
Campoli
Phillips
*Hamhuis*
*Karlsson*

means minimum getting rid of (trade, minors, waive)...

Kuba
Picard
Bell
Schubert

I still don't see a STUD in our top four. Karlsson could be a great 'O' guy but never will he be a prototypical stud because of his size. Plus he may not be NHL ready.

The list of Studs really...

Webber
Phaneuf (bad year though)
Pronger
Chara Crying
Blake
Bouwmeester

Am I missing anyone?

The top 'o' guys (where Karlsson would fit hopefully)...

Green
Boyle
Neidermeyer
Rafalski
Markov
Lidstrom
Streit
Campbell

Hamhuis would instantly become our best overall D-Man. Kuba and Schubert will be gone for sure. Lee and Picard could both be moved and Bell will probably be asked to take another 2way deal.

41Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 pm

RobbyJ wrote:
Hamhuis would instantly become our best overall D-Man. Kuba and Schubert will be gone for sure. Lee and Picard could both be moved and Bell will probably be asked to take another 2way deal.

We still wouldn't have a stud or even an high end offensive guy.

42Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i think it should be fair to see what we can get for Kuba, neil, and the bottom end D's (Picard Bell Schubert) before we trade Vermette. who knows what can come our way thru those. i really liked vermette and i agree he's always been on the brink... close but no cigar.

43Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:14 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:

I must be missing your point. How does acquiring Hamhuis, and thus improving our D, affect the acquisition of a Stud Dman.

44Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

MurderOnIce wrote:How many defencemen would we have then...

Lee
Smith
Volchenkov
Campoli
Phillips
*Hamhuis*
*Karlsson*

Stop right there, Karlsson isn't NHL ready next year. If this is all that Murray does (if he doesnt bring in a stud PMD) then we're left with:

Hamhuis-Lee
Phillips-Volchenkov
Campoli-Smith

Lee will play the top line because he can't hack it physically against the rest. I also wouldn't be opposed to:

Hamhuis-Phillips
Campoli-Volchenkov
Lee-Smith

However, I would definitely be in favour of trading Lee and Heatley/Spezza for a legitimate stud PMD. If we could get Phaneuf for either one, our D would be set for years.

Phaneuf-Hamhuis
Phillips-Volchenkov
Campoli-Smith

With wiercioch and Karlsson coming up the year after? Wow.

45Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:

Hamhuis is sorely underrated apparently. He would be our number 2 guy. Not a stud, but definitely one of the better D-men we've had here in a long, long time.

I've always seen parallels between Hamhuis and Keith, but I don't get to see Hamhuis play as much (Nashville is soooooooooooooo boring).

46Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

holy dung Jordo!

I'm drooling!!!

47Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:

Hamhuis is sorely underrated apparently. He would be our number 2 guy. Not a stud, but definitely one of the better D-men we've had here in a long, long time.

I've always seen parallels between Hamhuis and Keith, but I don't get to see Hamhuis play as much (Nashville is soooooooooooooo boring).

well we definitely need a # 2 d-man, yes we need a #1 as well, but maybe we can fill that from within, stagger campoli along enough until Karlsson/Weiroch are ready, then let it ride and save us money at the same time.

48Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? - Page 3 Empty Re: Vermette to NAS for Hamhuis? Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jordo wrote:However, I would definitely be in favour of trading Lee and Heatley/Spezza for a legitimate stud PMD. If we could get Phaneuf for either one, our D would be set for years.

Phaneuf-Hamhuis
Phillips-Volchenkov
Campoli-Smith

With wiercioch and Karlsson coming up the year after? Wow.

Off-season...wait for the off-season. We might be able to trade Spezza or preferably Heatley for Phaneuf - a deal I would do before you could say Jack Rabbit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum