GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Washington Capitals @ Ottawa Senators - 7:30pm Jan. 20th, 2009

+13
Acrobat
The Silfer Server
PKC
shabbs
Hayden
LeCaptain
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
asq2
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Riprock
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Regin's got good instincts and I think you'll see more of his skill emerge as he grows accustomed to the speed of the NHL game. I think he's a lot like Valtteri Filppula.

However, he's gotta bulk up.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Regin's got good instincts and I think you'll see more of his skill emerge as he grows accustomed to the speed of the NHL game. I think he's a lot like Valtteri Filppula.

Oh yeah, he'd be better off to weigh in at 200. That might be a primary reason to get him to Bingo soon now that he's had a taste. Focus on guiding that team and focus on bulking up.

Still, he was only tossed off the puck once that I remember, I thought he was generally strong. Looking forward to when he adds the weight.

BTW, what is he now? 180?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
I think Zubov will be here full time next year, but it may be early to tell for Z. Smith and Regin. I'm liking what we are seeing from these kids though. Bodes well for the future.

I'm starting to think that perhaps Z.Smith needs another half year of seasoning, but I really think he's got a chance to play in the NHL. Halfway through next season and he's a Sen full time me thinks.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Must sleep soon, but Hartsburg just said on the Team that he is giving serious consideration to keeping the Phillips/Lee pairing together when Volchenkov returns.

I assume that means Volchenkov with Kuba and Picard with Smith. Lee's game has enabled Hartsburg to shuffle the deck finally. I like it.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it'll be fun. (Regin) is a natural centre and I'm sure I'll take some faceoffs and things like that. I've played a little bit of wing and I'm comfortable playing wherever.

I stole this. This is a quote from Fisher, so maybe he's more open to the idea of winging it?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:Regin's got good instincts and I think you'll see more of his skill emerge as he grows accustomed to the speed of the NHL game. I think he's a lot like Valtteri Filppula.

Oh yeah, he'd be better off to weigh in at 200. That might be a primary reason to get him to Bingo soon now that he's had a taste. Focus on guiding that team and focus on bulking up.

Still, he was only tossed off the puck once that I remember, I thought he was generally strong. Looking forward to when he adds the weight.

BTW, what is he now? 180?

Fell down quite a bit.

I agree, though, I feel a bit bad about taking away the hope of the Bingo fans.

We've already taken their all-star goalie, now we've taken their two best defencemen in Bell and Lee and at varying times 4 of their top forwards in Regin, Shannon, Zubov and Smith.

Let the young'uns have a good playoff run. We certainly won't, not this year anyway.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:Also, I like Ovechkin and all, but the amount of @$$-kissing coming from McGuire is perverse. If I were AO, I'd take out a restraining order.

This was almost as bad as McGuire on Ryan Ellis at the World's.

That Ellis love-in was disturbing. I really wonder if Pierre watches replays of his comments. It's well beyond over the top.
Pierre McGuire makes me want to scratch my eyes and ears out. He's the most irritating announcer ever!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I liked Regin, but that first shift looked like, well, a rookie's first NHL shift. He got his "ice legs" after that.

I didn't realize that he was sub-200. For a guy with his frame 180 is far too little, and explains why he "fell" a few times. Good first game, but he will need to bulk up to be a threat for a top-six role.

Has anyone mentioned the other "Monster" of the game? Vermette with three assists in a 3-2 win. The guy's been on fire and that line is now our 2nd line, I don't care what the icetime says.

I'll also go with a third "Monster" -- the powerplay. The reason Ottawa did poorly in the 2nd is that the refs tried to even things up and gave them a few penalties. I'm still looking for that cross-checking (I think) to Fisher.

Lastly, someone mentioned that Washington was tired from playing yesterday. To borrow a phrase from Owen Nolan, "Boo hoo". They didn't look tired to me, certainly Ovechkin, even when playing 2-1/2 minute PP shifts, didn't look tired. Neither did Semin or Backstrom. They may have taken some "tired" penalties in the first, but overall you can't call the team "tired" when shoot almost 70 pucks toward the net (31 SOG, 22 blocked and another 14 missed).

Besides, it was an afternoon game so it's not like they got into town at 4AM or anything.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

I thought Regin played quite well. He made no real mistakes, was playing is unatural position and even banged it up a bit. I like what that line could be if he was given the time. Just shows how much of a liability Neil actually is.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

SensGirl11 wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:I'll be the first to admit that I think trading Corvo was a big mistake on our part. They should've told him to suck it up and be a man.

me too. I watched him against the Leafs last night.

And for 2.65 for last year, this year and I believe next year...how can you argue with that?

Terrible choice, just terrible.

Although, just getting Stillman back in that trade was worth it, but...Murray should've tried to sign him to an extension right away, that really screwed us out of this one.

What don't people understand about the Corvo trade? He couldn't handle the pressure in Ottawa and no longer wanted to be a part of the team.

In a team atmosphere if you have a member who does not want to be a part of it you have to remove them asap or else they will drag the entire team down.

On paper the trade looked like a win for Ottawa, when Stillman joined Ott he was the 4th leading scorer on our team (the secondary scoring that Ott fans have been chirping about for the last five years). Commodore looked to be a solid stay at home d-man. The big problem was the fact that we could not hold onto either asset.

When Corvo was traded Murray didn't expect to lose both redden and Mez in the summer.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

asq2 wrote:Also, I like Ovechkin and all, but the amount of @$$-kissing coming from McGuire is perverse. If I were AO, I'd take out a restraining order.

Coming from the guy that has been swinging from Hedman's nutsack for the last two months

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

McGuire was EXTREMELY ANNOYING last night, and he loves to contradict himself all the time. I think he may be off his rocker a little lately.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I don't really mind the Ovechkin a$$ licking because nhl-wise, it can balance the a$$ licking of another guy I know down there in Pittsburg that gets too much love compared to Ovie.

TeamRenzo wrote:

Coming from the guy that has been swinging from Hedman's nutsack for the last two months

Shut the Diddle up. The only time I ever see you post is to talk Dung. The difference is that McGuire is a media member, who really ought to remain unbiased.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Fell down quite a bit.

We've already taken their all-star goalie, now we've taken their two best defencemen in Bell and Lee and at varying times 4 of their top forwards in Regin, Shannon, Zubov and Smith.

Let the young'uns have a good playoff run. We certainly won't, not this year anyway.

He fell down a lot? Very strange, I only saw/noticed him fall once behind Washington's net. I actually found him quite strong on his skates...but that might have been wishful watching.

SensGirl11 wrote:McGuire was EXTREMELY ANNOYING last night, and he loves to contradict himself all the time. I think he may be off his rocker a little lately.

HEY MCGUIRE! STOP YELLING AT ME!!!!!

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:Fell down quite a bit.

He fell down a lot? Very strange, I only saw/noticed him fall once behind Washington's net. I actually found him quite strong on his skates...but that might have been wishful watching.
I thought the same thing. ANd even if he did fall down, it would have been as a result of hard work. I find it funny how some people expect prospects to score a hat trick or something in their first game.

504Heater wrote:Must sleep soon, but Hartsburg just said on the Team that he is giving serious consideration to keeping the Phillips/Lee pairing together when Volchenkov returns.

I assume that means Volchenkov with Kuba and Picard with Smith. Lee's game has enabled Hartsburg to shuffle the deck finally. I like it.
cheers Puking2 I've been saying that Dung all year long: One offensive, one defensive player on each pairing; and, for God's sake, put MFing Volchie with MFing Kuba - I promise it works!

*What is that? Whats that feeling?? Is that...no...it couldn't be....Is it...hope? Hope that isn't misplaced??
It just might be :afro:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum