GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

+4
smash88
mattshock
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:27 pm

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

Absolutely, a true #1 goalie can win a series on his own. A team with a proven star puck-stopper can get by with less talent up front, as the players develop a trust that their goalie will make the crucial stops and keep them in a game.

Would I give up a Heatley or Affie, no, of course not. One is the heart, the other is the hammer of this team.

Would I give up a Spezza? If the package was right (the star 'tender, a pick) I would do it.

17Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

Laker

Prospect
Prospect

I think it would be better to find the "next" elite goaltender. We can't afford an established one without dumping a top player.

18Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

mattshock

Veteran
Veteran

There was a time I agreed with you beedub, but I'm not so sure anymore.

We all heard the rumours involving Luongo, and at the time I was all for it, but now? Not so much.

If there's an upgrade available and the price is right, by all means, but I'm just not thinking a blockbuster for that #1 is what the team needs if it ends up costing a Spezza or a Heatley.

19Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Laker wrote:I think it would be better to find the "next" elite goaltender. We can't afford an established one without dumping a top player.

I heard that team down the 401 likes giving away future elite tenders.

20Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

beedub wrote:Absolutely, a true #1 goalie can win a series on his own. A team with a proven star puck-stopper can get by with less talent up front, as the players develop a trust that their goalie will make the crucial stops and keep them in a game.

Would I give up a Heatley or Affie, no, of course not. One is the heart, the other is the hammer of this team.

Would I give up a Spezza? If the package was right (the star 'tender, a pick) I would do it.

I would rather give up Fisher ... but his trade value is lo

21Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:24 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

And he has a NTC he wouldn't waive.

I'm sure that, like those Alfie to LA rumours a couple years back, Fisher will bounce back.

22Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:25 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey guys I have a new Widget up with Video Highlight feeds in it. Go check it out. I can't as my work has the feeds blocked but let me know what you think.

- Unknown Author

23Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. I think it may seem like a no brainer but in the end what would you give up to get a real #1 guy in Ottawa? If you look at Brodeur in NJ, they have been perrenial contenders and winners because of his steady goaltending. Roy won in Montreal and Colorado bringing Cups to both cities. If you look down the list the teams whose name appears on the cup more than once, it is usually accompanied by the same goalie as a #1 more than once.

I think that the goal here is to win a Cup or more than one so to me, I think I would give up almost anything to solidify that position and we may flounder for a while until we solve that. A goalie can steal a game, a goalie can steal a series and in the case of Roy in Montreal I believe he stole them a cup. I want that kind of guy here and then I will sleep happy with dreams of a cup. We can't seem to develope one so I am thinking we need to poach....

I would happily move a few assets and sign a Luongo or Nabokov to a MASSIVE contract on July 1. Like 9 or 10 million....that would make me very happy.

24Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:22 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

That would be awesome for our back end, but we'd be left with nothing to pay our forwards with.

If we add a $9M contract to the approx $31M (approximately - I didn't look it up) tied up in Alfie/Spezza/Heatley/Fisher, then consider that Phillips & A-train are up for renewal soon (say $4M each), we are left with $8M for the rest of the team, assuming a $56M cap.

Not good. Maybe we say bye to Chris or Anton.

I'm sure that we'd miss him, but either we find a way to send Fisher the other way, as part of any deal (it'd still be tight, but Murray is a genius),

It's probably better to do the Detroit "thing", and spend little on a high-mid goalie (not Gerber-esque) but load up on solid PMDs. We already are developing Lee, Karlsson, Karlsson. We keep Smith, Phillips, Volchenkov, and maybe get Shubert in as the seventh (dress him, and give him forward/PP time too - I know people will argue this, but I'm betting he can be the #5/6 line PMD if given a chance). Forwards will be afraid to enter our zone - either they get hammered, or they get caught by a lightning-fast transition game. Meanwhile, give Murray time, and he'll find a couple more diamonds in the rough for the forward lines, and then we're set for years. Only thing is, this involves a couple of years of pain first, and maybe a year or two out of the playoffs.

25Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You're right Acrobat. There's no way to add BOTH a elite number one tender and a #1 D-man - both of which the Sens will need - without losing some salary up front.

26Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:22 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:You're right Acrobat. There's no way to add BOTH a elite number one tender and a #1 D-man - both of which the Sens will need - without losing some salary up front.

I agree, I'd like to see Kelly gone for sure, he just makes too much money for essentially a penalty killer... If Fisher dosen't start producing, it could spell the end for him too.. and if Vermette dosen't smarten up he'll be out too... As much as we had a lot of change this year, I have the feeling we could have just as much next year... oh and Gerber gone too! :bounce: cheers

27Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie - Page 2 Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:39 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

smash88 wrote:
504Heater wrote:You're right Acrobat. There's no way to add BOTH a elite number one tender and a #1 D-man - both of which the Sens will need - without losing some salary up front.

I agree, I'd like to see Kelly gone for sure, he just makes too much money for essentially a penalty killer... If Fisher dosen't start producing, it could spell the end for him too.. and if Vermette dosen't smarten up he'll be out too... As much as we had a lot of change this year, I have the feeling we could have just as much next year... oh and Gerber gone too! :bounce: cheers

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum