GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie

+4
smash88
mattshock
Number Twenty Nine
Cap'n Clutch
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:38 am

I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. I think it may seem like a no brainer but in the end what would you give up to get a real #1 guy in Ottawa? If you look at Brodeur in NJ, they have been perrenial contenders and winners because of his steady goaltending. Roy won in Montreal and Colorado bringing Cups to both cities. If you look down the list the teams whose name appears on the cup more than once, it is usually accompanied by the same goalie as a #1 more than once.

I think that the goal here is to win a Cup or more than one so to me, I think I would give up almost anything to solidify that position and we may flounder for a while until we solve that. A goalie can steal a game, a goalie can steal a series and in the case of Roy in Montreal I believe he stole them a cup. I want that kind of guy here and then I will sleep happy with dreams of a cup. We can't seem to develope one so I am thinking we need to poach....

2Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:39 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not willing to take that risk while Alfie is still playing. Maybe after he retires I'd consider that route.

- Unknown Author

3Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:41 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

FWIW, we a have a perfectly good fake #1 in Auld.

The team just plays better for him. Just like when they played in front of Ray in 06/07.

4Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:43 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Great point 29. We just need capable goaltending and to address puck movement on D. Also getting Vermette and Fisher going is a must as well IMO.

- Unknown Author

5Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:45 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Goalies are a sellars market these days.

Look at all the best goalies around the league, the real #1s you're talking about. Most of them have come from within the organization (unless your organization is Vancouver).

The reality is it would cost us the farm and then some to get a Carey Price or a Luongo, and in the long run, we'd be giving more than we'd be receiving. Otherwise, I'm sure Murray would have done something about it by now.

6Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:48 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

mattshock wrote:Goalies are a sellars market these days.

Look at all the best goalies around the league, the real #1s you're talking about. Most of them have come from within the organization (unless your organization is Vancouver).

The reality is it would cost us the farm and then some to get a Carey Price or a Luongo, and in the long run, we'd be giving more than we'd be receiving. Otherwise, I'm sure Murray would have done something about it by now.

Exactly.. True number 1's command way too much for trades... Supply and demand, baby... Really in today's NHL I wouldn't put more than 5 goalies in the "elite" category...

7Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 pm

smash88 wrote:

Exactly.. True number 1's command way too much for trades... Supply and demand, baby... Really in today's NHL I wouldn't put more than 5 goalies in the "elite" category...

I am not too sure, there are occasional situations, I just think we need to be aggressive when they arise.. Vokoun, Luongo and to a lesser extent Toskala were top goalies that changed hands... I could see Kipper being moved. To the point about winning while Alfie is here... I think our goaltending hampers that effort... and I didn't always think that. I thought we just needed someone capable but to be consistent, capable is not enough... if we could get a #1 I would personally overpay.

8Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:08 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:
smash88 wrote:

I am not too sure, there are occasional situations, I just think we need to be aggressive when they arise.. Vokoun, Luongo and to a lesser extent Toskala were top goalies that changed hands... I could see Kipper being moved. To the point about winning while Alfie is here... I think our goaltending hampers that effort... and I didn't always think that. I thought we just needed someone capable but to be consistent, capable is not enough... if we could get a #1 I would personally overpay.

I'd probably be willing to overpay also, but at what cost? I am sure an established "elite" goalie would cost us one of the big three, a quality prospect as in Smith or even a guy like Foligno and a first pick... and if it does, i'm not sure i'd want to give up one of the big three as it would hamper our scoring..

If we could make a deal for an elite goalie without losing one of our big three, I would be all over it...

9Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 pm

smash88 wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:
smash88 wrote:

We have 2 first round picks this year.. nice bargaining chips in a deep draft. Vermette and Elliot. I would do that. Sure many think Elliot is our future number one and maybe he is capable but our track record of developing goalies is piss poor or worse...

I'd probably be willing to overpay also, but at what cost? I am sure an established "elite" goalie would cost us one of the big three, a quality prospect as in Smith or even a guy like Foligno and a first pick... and if it does, i'm not sure i'd want to give up one of the big three as it would hamper our scoring..

If we could make a deal for an elite goalie without losing one of our big three, I would be all over it...

10Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

Didn't Forida get Luongo for next to nothing? Same with Kipper to Calgary from SJ....

11Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:13 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Laker wrote:Didn't Forida get Luongo for next to nothing? Same with Kipper to Calgary from SJ....

Yeah but that was before they were established... and Luongo was dealt by Milbury, nuff said.....

12Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:25 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Oleg Kvasha!!

Either way, as it stands, we'd be looking at giving up one of the big three I suspect to acquire an elite goaltender.

We all know my thoughts on Gerber, and even I'm not ready to go that far.

13Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:27 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Absolutely, a true #1 goalie can win a series on his own. A team with a proven star puck-stopper can get by with less talent up front, as the players develop a trust that their goalie will make the crucial stops and keep them in a game.

Would I give up a Heatley or Affie, no, of course not. One is the heart, the other is the hammer of this team.

Would I give up a Spezza? If the package was right (the star 'tender, a pick) I would do it.

14Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

I think it would be better to find the "next" elite goaltender. We can't afford an established one without dumping a top player.

15Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Empty Re: Importance of a TRUE #1 Goalie Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:30 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

There was a time I agreed with you beedub, but I'm not so sure anymore.

We all heard the rumours involving Luongo, and at the time I was all for it, but now? Not so much.

If there's an upgrade available and the price is right, by all means, but I'm just not thinking a blockbuster for that #1 is what the team needs if it ends up costing a Spezza or a Heatley.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum