GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Go down  Message [Page 47 of 49]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I was thinking the exact same thing. Chabot at his best is not as good as Chychrun at his best, and while Chychrun is worse defensively it's not by much. I was also thinking Sanderson is looking more and more like Karlsson without the booming shot.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I was thinking the exact same thing. Chabot at his best is not as good as Chychrun at his best, and while Chychrun is worse defensively it's not by much. I was also thinking Sanderson is looking more and more like Karlsson without the booming shot.

in what way does Sanderson look like kalrsson?

Chychrun wants to stay in ottawa (apparently). It be stupid to keep the guy that’s constantly injured and is walking in the rest of his contract with a NTC.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Sanderson is an elite skater. He's so good handling the puck along the blue line and getting his shots through.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I was thinking the exact same thing. Chabot at his best is not as good as Chychrun at his best, and while Chychrun is worse defensively it's not by much. I was also thinking Sanderson is looking more and more like Karlsson without the booming shot.

in what way does Sanderson look like kalrsson?

Chychrun wants to stay in ottawa (apparently). It be stupid to keep the guy that’s constantly injured and is walking in the rest of his contract with a NTC.

He has been fine this year so far but chychrun is also very injury prone. It’s a tough choice but I think Chabot is better, personally. And no guarantee JC wants to stay here at all

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Yeah and that Chabot NTC kicks in this summer. I do see a situation where they are all here next year also. I think both carry the same pros and cons.

What's going to be important is improving the right side and not being down a goal 1 minute into a hockey game.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

And moving Stutzle to wing or moving on from him totally

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:And moving Stutzle to wing or moving on from him totally

Facepalm

Yeah, because moving an elite skilled centre that is only 22 is the right move to do.
Zibenajad all over again except worse.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

Facepalm

Yeah, because moving an elite skilled centre that is only 22 is the right move to do.

Not sure if I’d call him elite. Mika is a much better all around centre than stutzle will be. He doesn’t play like a centre. I’m not a fan of his anymore.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Norris - Celebrini (swap after a couple years) - Pinto - Greig. That's pretty decent center depth. Stutzle on the wing until Norris has shoulder surgery.

On D if they keep Chabot and Cychrun then move Sanderson to the right side. Yes, I realize that breaks up the Sanderson/Zub pairing. But Chabot was awful playing on the right side and Chychrun is probably worse -- otherwise they would have tried him there. But we don't have enough (any?) toughness in the top two pairings. So I would prefer to get a sturdy RHS to replace Chychrun (Chabot is more proven, harder to move).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Facepalm

Not sure if I’d call him elite. Mika is a much better all around centre than stutzle will be. He doesn’t play like a centre. I’m not a fan of his anymore.

It took years for mika to be the player he is. Stutzle still has plenty of growth left in him as a player.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Facepalm

It took years for mika to be the player he is. Stutzle still has plenty of growth left in him as a player.

Yes, we are (or should be) painfully aware about giving up on star centres too early. Although I will probably go to my grave believing that DJ Z-Bad needed the kick-in-the-pants of that trade to NYR to take him to the next level, and would not have reached his potential had he stayed in Ottawa.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stutzle is 22 years old. Give him a break. Mika hit the 75 point mark 8 years after he was drafted. Stu did it in year 2. Even this year Stutzle is outperforming him points wise on a less skilled team. Stutzle probably needs more time on the wing before being a full-time center. Norris' injury and Pinto being out half the year didn't help his development. Let's also remember Greig and Stutzle were drafted the same year and Greig isn't ready to be a bottom six center. Laf and Byfield are now just finding their way and Stutzle is still outperforming both of them - again on a much worse team.

Considering Stu has had a dreadful year, he's almost a point a game player and is still our most talented forward. Maybe acquiring a consistent top-six center would allow him to move to the wing where I think a lot of defensive flaws could be hidden. He has the same problem as Batherson - they were never taught how to play defense and have been part of a losing organization for quite some time. That stuff adds up mentally..

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Facepalm

Yes, we are (or should be) painfully aware about giving up on star centres too early.  Although I will probably go to my grave believing that DJ Z-Bad needed the kick-in-the-pants of that trade to NYR to take him to the next level, and would not have reached his potential had he stayed in Ottawa.

Stutzle is already a star player, it’s not the same comparison at all. The odds aren’t that great that he’ll be anything more than he is now, and I don’t think it’s smart to have him as a #1C. Just move him to wing.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Stutzle needs to go on the wing for another season. Let him grow into his body and get his confidence back.  Very rarely do you see players who go straight into the NHL excel at the C position. Bedard is a -38 this year, Jack Hughes was -26, etc.

Ottawa needs to:
- move Stutzle to LW and put a good two-way center next to him (Pinto). Put a vet scoring winger on the opposite wing.
- Put together a well-rounded L2 
- Move Norris to wing centered by Greig
- Turn L4 into a fast shutdown line that can kill penalties 

On defence, Zub needs to be on the bottom pairing with Kleven, and we need to acquire two steady RHDs. IMO the JBD experiment is over.

Stutzle-Pinto-Toffoli   
Tkachuk-Laughton-Batherson
Norris-Greig-Giroux
Joseph-Ostapchuk-XXXX

Sanderson-Walker
Chych-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Stutzle needs to go on the wing for another season. Let him grow into his body and get his confidence back.  Very rarely do you see players who go straight into the NHL excel at the C position. Bedard is a -38 this year, Jack Hughes was -26, etc.

Ottawa needs to:
- move Stutzle to LW and put a good two-way center next to him (Pinto). Put a vet scoring winger on the opposite wing.
- Put together a well-rounded L2 
- Move Norris to wing centered by Greig
- Turn L4 into a fast shutdown line that can kill penalties 

On defence, Zub needs to be on the bottom pairing with Kleven, and we need to acquire two steady RHDs. IMO the JBD experiment is over.

Stutzle-Pinto-Toffoli   
Tkachuk-Laughton-Batherson
Norris-Greig-Giroux
Joseph-Ostapchuk-XXXX

Sanderson-Walker
Chych-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

This team doesn’t make the playoffs, ever, ImO

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Hard to say. The forward group is good enough. The defense and goaltending remain problematic. But maybe there's an avenue where we can add a goalie this summer. Maybe via Chabot trade?

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I can honestly see a scenario where both Chabot and Chych are here next season, they're both gone, or only one of them is here. I really don't know what's going to happen there. 

I can also see a situation where the Sens make a real push for Saros.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Chabot makes more money but there’s no way I’d get rid of him over chychrun. Chabot is much more talented

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 47 of 49]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum