GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 45 of 50]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:I don’t see why he wouldn’t be ready for next season. Jacques even said so today.

Last year he had surgery in Feb and missed camp and the first 4 games. This year the surgery was second week of March.

I know each surgery is different but that's the history for now. Hopefully he got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and even a different surgeon.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We’ve finally now arrived in the yearly late season push by the sens to take us well out of the running of any top 5 pick.

Your Ottawa senators, when the games don’t matter.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:We’ve finally now arrived in the yearly late season push by the sens to take us well out of the running of any top 5 pick.

lol to be fair they’re not gonna lose every game. We’re can really only go down one spot too

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:We’ve finally now arrived in the yearly late season push by the sens to take us well out of the running of any top 5 pick.

lol to be fair they’re not gonna lose every game. We’re can really only go down one spot too
It just looks like every other season.
To be fair, this year has looked much worse than other teams as we usually had games where we were more competitive.
But it just seems like history could repeat itself.

At least ownership aren’t likely to lie to themselves and say they’ve turned the corner.

Looking forward to one or two big moves this summer and a few good vets brought in.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

To be fair, this year has looked much worse than other teams as we usually had games where we were more competitive.

At least ownership aren’t likely to lie to themselves and say they’ve turned the corner.

Looking forward to one or two big moves this summer and a few good vets brought in.

I think we're going to have a much different makeup/approach going into next season. I'm envisioning:

1. At least 2-3 new d-men (one could include Kleven)
2. Entirely new coaching staff
3. One new goalie
4. A ton of new forwards (including a significant UFA like Toffoli)
5. One or two massive trades
6. A surprise (or two) from camp. My money is on Halliday.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

I think we're going to have a much different makeup/approach going into next season. I'm envisioning:

1. At least 2-3 new d-men (one could include Kleven)
2. Entirely new coaching staff
3. One new goalie
4. A ton of new forwards (including a significant UFA like Toffoli)
5. One or two massive trades
6. A surprise (or two) from camp. My money is on Halliday.
I think our visions are aligning.
That’s what I’m envisioning.
The hardest apart from being able to accomplish all these moves will be the goalie if you ask me.

There’s just a limit of what you’re capable of doing in today’s NHL. I don’t know that they will be able to reshape this team all in one summer.

I think teams know we want to move players and they won’t be offering us the best possible deals.
Thankfully we do have some assets that can be moved. Chychrun will have suitors.
I expect us to be disappointed in the trade department in terms of the return.
Remains to be seen I guess.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Every year there is an unknown goalie playing lights out (usually for a team *other* than the Senators). Many teams managed to make it far in the playoffs without a Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy and so on. Similarly every year we see a goalie who played lights out the previous season regress (and it's not necessarily the "unknown" goalie from the previous season). Overall SV% in the NHL is declining. All that to say that it's not so much the goalie as it is the circumstances. In Forsberg's case he was never advertised as a #1, and if he's only playing 20-25 games I think he'd be fine. As for Korpisalo I just don't know -- some nights he's very good, other nights he stinks. Is it a confidence issue (confidence in himself as well as in his defense)? If he doesn't trust the D to take care of the slot pass he could end up cheating to the far side and give up a bad goal on the short side. I don't have the stats to confirm or deny, but this is a goalie capable of consistently making 9 saves on 10 shots.

Moving out from goal, we need to balance at least the top four. It's one thing when your #5/6 is playing his off-side but a top-4 playing 25+ minutes on the wrong side is not ideal. We also need to have some balance in the stay-at-home vs. puck-mover department. Chychrun has the tools to be a tough, crease-clearing D-man but for some reason he doesn't do that. You'd think a guy who eats raw liver would be a lot sturdier back there. At the same time he's a leftie. I think he will be moved.

I like Brannstrom but he's another leftie and is not blessed with size. I see him being moved somewhere. Personally I wouldn't mind trying him out as a winger for a stretch.

The bottom 6 needs an overhaul. Kastelic, Kelly, Kubalik -- three strikes and you're out. I would prefer Katchouk over all of these, and I wouldn't bat an eyelash of he was moved. The top six is fine if you ask me, but Norris' third shoulder surgery is very troubling. If Norris is healthy and Greig/Joseph are playing on the third line like they should be that would certainly help.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

One of Katchouk or Kelly will be on the team next year. Not both. I don't have a preference though Kelly is limited to being a pest with virtually no offensive or defensive upside. We don't need that. IMO Brannstrom, Kelly, Kastelic, Hamonic (press box?), Kubalik, and Forsberg won't be back. Maybe JBD too - I see him as a throw in to a trade. I also don't see Sokolov or Thomson being part of our system next year, and maybe the Sens move on from Boucher as well if he even has value. I'd be looking at moving him to Philly with something else for Laughton...

Batherson and Chychrun will be our two biggest trade chips. Everyone keeps saying we can't move Batherson but he's good for 1 game and disappears for 5. He's an okay scorer, doesn't kill penalties, is poor defensively... if we can get a top four RHD or a middle-sixsome good prospects I'd be all for it.

In a perfect world we find a way to integrate Halliday, Ostapchuk, Klevin and Jarventie though I think Jarventie won't be an every day NHLer any time soon. For those disagreeing about Halliday, I've seen high highlight reel and I think he's NHL ready

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:One of Katchouk or Kelly will be on the team next year. Not both. I don't have a preference though Kelly is limited to being a pest with virtually no offensive or defensive upside. We don't need that. IMO Brannstrom, Kelly, Kastelic, Hamonic (press box?), Kubalik, and Forsberg won't be back. Maybe JBD too - I see him as a throw in to a trade. I also don't see Sokolov or Thomson being part of our system next year, and maybe the Sens move on from Boucher as well if he even has value. I'd be looking at moving him to Philly with something else for Laughton...

Batherson and Chychrun will be our two biggest trade chips. Everyone keeps saying we can't move Batherson but he's good for 1 game and disappears for 5. He's an okay scorer, doesn't kill penalties, is poor defensively... if we can get a top four RHD or a middle-sixsome good prospects I'd be all for it.  

In a perfect world we find a way to integrate Halliday, Ostapchuk, Klevin and Jarventie though I think Jarventie won't be an every day NHLer any time soon. For those disagreeing about Halliday, I've seen high highlight reel and I think he's NHL ready

I know very little in Halliday but nearly no player that isn’t a high high pick makes the switch between college hockey and the NHL without some AHL seasoning.

I have a feeling the sens might keep JBD as a bottom pairing Dmen. Rightfully so too. He’s had too much put on his shoulder graduating to the NHL.
Hamonic might get bought out if he can’t be traded.

I still maintain that it’s unlikely batherson is traded. Unless the sens somehow sign someone like Toffoli who can replace batherson.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:One of Katchouk or Kelly will be on the team next year. Not both. I don't have a preference though Kelly is limited to being a pest with virtually no offensive or defensive upside. We don't need that. IMO Brannstrom, Kelly, Kastelic, Hamonic (press box?), Kubalik, and Forsberg won't be back. Maybe JBD too - I see him as a throw in to a trade. I also don't see Sokolov or Thomson being part of our system next year, and maybe the Sens move on from Boucher as well if he even has value. I'd be looking at moving him to Philly with something else for Laughton...

I know very little in Halliday but nearly no player that isn’t a high high pick makes the switch between college hockey and the NHL without some AHL seasoning.

I have a feeling the sens might keep JBD as a bottom pairing  Dmen. Rightfully so too. He’s had too much put on his shoulder graduating to the NHL.

I still maintain that it’s unlikely batherson is traded. Unless the sens somehow sign someone like Toffoli who can replace batherson.

I wouldn't put too much stock into when players are drafted. He has two full seasons of NCAA experience (point a game player) and led his team in scoring as a Freshman and Sophomore. He has NHL size and vision. Apparently his skating isn't great

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

I have a feeling the sens might keep JBD as a bottom pairing  Dmen. Rightfully so too. He’s had too much put on his shoulder graduating to the NHL.

I wouldn't put too much stock into when players are drafted. He has two full seasons of NCAA experience (point a game player) and led his team in scoring as a Freshman and Sophomore. He has NHL size and vision. Apparently his skating isn't great

That in itself could be the deciding factor on wether he’s a career AHLer or NHLer

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:

That in itself could be the deciding factor on wether he’s a career AHLer or NHLer

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This is a wild season for coaches in the NHL, 7 have been fired so far and likely another couple after the playoffs.

Here’s a list that is either rumoured or seems like are worthy coaches the sens could get consideration and maybe a couple of long shot that I think the sens might be eyeing that in playoffs races.
I’ll add my comments on some. What are your thoughts?

Jay Woodcroft
said to be a great coach. Oilers lived and died by their bad goaltending and average D in his tenure earlier this year. Does he shoulder some blame? Not my favourite candidate.
Craig Berube said to be a favourite, links to the Tkachuks which would help him in the team falling in line with new coaching next year. In my top picks
Todd McLellan a solid NHL coach. Not exactly the best coaches if you’re thinking of building a solid stanley cup contender IMO
Gerard Gallant solid coach, proven track record of working with young players and groups that are thrown together (vegas). Did not perform up to expectations in NYR weird history with Florida.
I’d be ok with this hire. Upside is good and he may be well received by this group.
Claude Julien has a stanley cup (with an awesome Boston team). Said to create rifts with some young players. Installs the type of system that the sens could use. Not too keen on this option but what do I know.
Bruce Boudreau always seems to create a coaching bump where he goes. Has a solid record in Washington with a young team. So so record in Minny. What the hell happened in Vancouver? I’m divided on whether he’s what we need at this point. He should have been hired instead of DJ back in the day if you ask me.
Lindy Ruff Large body of experience. From one team with bad goaltending to another with bad goaltending. Not in my top 3 but would be acceptable.
John Gruden long rumoured to be a top candidate for the job.
Marlies not necessarily delivering. The fan base is clamouring for an experienced NHL coach. Not at all a choice I’d want.
Jay McKee also rumoured. Not my choice for similar reasons as Gruden.

Joel Quenneville cups. Successful wherever he’s gone to. Please, let’s not go there for obvious reasons.

Coaches that could become available
I think there’s an off chance Jon Cooper becomes available if tampa either gets bumped out of the playoff race or maybe loses in the first round. 2 stanley cups, maybe benefits from having a stacked STACKED team and an amazing goalie. I’d actually stay away from him for those reasons.
Sheldon Keefe. Isn’t making anything spectacular out of the leafs. I don’t think he’d have better luck here.

Personally I’d love torts

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Is our goaltending the issue or is it our defense? 2 goals on 6 shots... make it make sense

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Gave it some thought. This should be the makeup of our lineup heading into next season.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-XXXX
XXXX-Pinto-Giroux
Joseph-XXXX-Batherson
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Extra: Norris (IR)

Chabot-XXXX
Sanderson-XXXX
XXXX-Zub

Korpisalo
XXXX

In a perfect world, we're able to lure two ex Ottawa 67s via UFA (Toffoli, Monahan), sign one RHD (Tanev or Walker) and we can fill some holes internally (Kleven, Crookshank, Halliday, Jarventie). In a Chychrun trade, I also hope to get a stud prospect (someone like Perfetti out of Winnipeg, Savoie out of Edmonton, etc)

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Toffoli
Perfetti-Pinto-Giroux
Joseph-Monahan-Batherson
Crookshank-Halliday-Vet RW/PKer

Chabot-Trade for RHD using Det/Bos 1st ++
Sanderson-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

Korpisalo
UFA goalie

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Gave it some thought. This should be the makeup of our lineup heading into next season.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-XXXX
XXXX-Pinto-Giroux
Joseph-XXXX-Batherson
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Chabot-XXXX
Sanderson-XXXX
XXXX-Zub

Korpisalo
XXXX

In a perfect world, we're able to lure two ex Ottawa 67s via UFA (Toffoli, Monahan), sign one RHD (Tanev or Walker) and we can fill some holes internally (Kleven, Crookshank, Halliday, Jarventie). In a Chychrun trade, I also hope to get a stud prospect (someone like Perfetti out of Winnipeg, Savoie out of Edmonton, etc)

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Toffoli
Perfetti-Pinto-Giroux
Joseph-Monahan-Batherson

Sanderson-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

Korpisalo
UFA goalie

That’s a lot of people replaced.
I don’t think any team has managed to have such a high turn over in one season.
I like that you’ve finally come around to keeping Batherson hahaha.

I get that we are likely to trade Chycrun but man… are we just lining up to create a huge gap on our line up when Chabot spends half the season on IR every year?

I maintain that it’s chabot that should be dealt. You can still get a solid defensive RHD for him but probably not much else.
We’re gonna need one to play with Chychrun if he continues to play recklessly defensively.

I consider it highly unlikely that Taney signs here. Apparently he’s US bound.
I think crookshank is definitely making a case to make the team right out of camp.

What UFA goalie do you have pegged for the job?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bunting is a guy I wouldn’t mind the sens take a look at. I wonder if Pittsburg would be open to trading him. Can play up and down the line up.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Gave it some thought. This should be the makeup of our lineup heading into next season.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-XXXX
XXXX-Pinto-Giroux
Joseph-XXXX-Batherson
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Chabot-XXXX
Sanderson-XXXX
XXXX-Zub

Korpisalo
XXXX

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Toffoli
Perfetti-Pinto-Giroux
Joseph-Monahan-Batherson

Sanderson-Tanev
Kleven-Zub

Korpisalo
UFA goalie

That’s a lot of people replaced.
I don’t think any team has managed to have such a high turn over in one season.
I like that you’ve finally come around to keeping Batherson hahaha.

I get that we are likely to trade Chycrun but man… are we just lining up to create a huge gap on our line up when Chabot spends half the season on IR every year?

I maintain that it’s chabot that should be dealt. You can still get a solid defensive RHD for him but probably not much else.
We’re gonna need one to play with Chychrun if he continues to play recklessly defensively.

I consider it highly unlikely that Taney signs here. Apparently he’s US bound.
I think crookshank is definitely making a case to make the team right out of camp.

What UFA goalie do you have pegged for the job?  

And where's Ridly? He could easily be the 3LC.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 45 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 24 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum