GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+3
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
wprager
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 29]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Florida will still have to get bellow the cap by about 4 mill and they’re already 13 forwards and 7 D deep.
Won’t be easy.

Move Hornquist for FC and you're done.
5 million for a guy that plays now in the bottom 6. Not as easily said than done

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Florida will still have to get bellow the cap by about 4 mill and they’re already 13 forwards and 7 D deep.
Won’t be easy.

5 million for a guy that plays now in the bottom 6. Not as easily said than done
They should try to move Bob. That solves a lot of their issues

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:
Won’t be easy.

Plenty of teams still below the floor by quite a bit. They would take on Hornqvist for picks/prospects. Same applies to Zaitsev -- Anaheim are short on D and need to add about $12M (on top of Silfverberg coming off IR). They only have one RFA to re-sign -- Lundestrom. They could definitely use Zaitsev.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Quite a lot of chatter about Hockey Canada. It's becoming increasingly clear that some of the Sens players were involved. I'm curious to see how this is all handled considering these events happened 5 + years ago. I'm certainly not against some sort of punishment but to suspect a current player seems a little ridiculous considering it was so long ago and there were no criminal charges. I suspect there will be a big fine handed out to those involved (which also will be hard to apply considering not everyone make the same amount of money or is even in the NHL), community service, and harassment training. I think the worst thing for everyone involved is for names to get leaked - I hope this is all settled well before then.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Quite a lot of chatter about Hockey Canada. It's becoming increasingly clear that some of the Sens players were involved. I'm curious to see how this is all handled considering these events happened 5 + years ago. I'm certainly not against some sort of punishment but to suspect a current player seems a little ridiculous considering it was so long ago and there were no criminal charges. I suspect there will be a big fine handed out to those involved (which also will be hard to apply considering not everyone make the same amount of money or is even in the NHL), community service, and harassment training. I think the worst thing for everyone involved is for names to get leaked - I hope this is all settled well before then.

I think that’s the likely account. The news that players are coming out with videos and texts probably mean that they feel they had done things “appropriately” but it’s unlikely.
I don’t know how well 18 year old navigate such things TBH. Young hockey stars can be quite entitled on top of it.
I don’t think they are blameless but there’s likely some level of grey in the story.

I don’t think calling for the Sens to break contracts with said players (as recent Twitter responses have been) is the right way of going about things.
I do think some sort of sensitivity training, fines and/or punitive measures would be good tho.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:I’d like to see what are the conditions on the 1st.
If huberdeau doesn’t resign then that’s bad for Calgary.i don’t even know that weegar is necessarily there to start the season. There’s too many Dmen in Calgary. They’ll have to trade one or two of their Dmen.

The condition is it's a lottery protected pick so if it ends up being a lottery pick then it defers to the next draft as does Calgary's 4th to them.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I’d like to see what are the conditions on the 1st.
If huberdeau doesn’t resign then that’s bad for Calgary.i don’t even know that weegar is necessarily there to start the season. There’s too many Dmen in Calgary. They’ll have to trade one or two of their Dmen.

The condition is it's a lottery protected pick so if it ends up being a lottery pick then it defers to the next draft as does Calgary's 4th to them.

Wasn't it specifically top-3 protected?

Regarding what I said about Anaheim needing $12M to get to the floor I was off by *a bit*. The floor is set at $61M (I think I must have typed 71 in the calculator). Anyhow, with Lundestrom new contract Anaheim is at $56.65M and Silfverberg will add $5.25M which leaves them just a shade above the floor. They are still short of NHL-ready D (bottom 4 each under 80 games played) so perhaps they could be convinced to take Zaitsev+ for future considerations. Can't waste a 2nd rounder on that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think what's going to happen with the sexual assault is the players will get a black eye and Hockey Canada will be heavily fined for sweeping it under the rug. London police dropped the investigation without filing charges 5 years ago and I'm not sure enough has changed since then. With any luck JD#1 (that's the player she gave consent to) will be the Ottawa player involved and it's the other 7 that are the most at fault (although JD#1 *did* appear to try to get her to keep quiet).

Man, what a mess.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Jury finds Jake Virtanen *not* guilty. I wonder if that will have any bearing on the Hockey Canada situation.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

It'll be interesting to see how team Canada is dealt with here. Of course the players should be punished but imo it's way worse that hockey Canada paid to make the problem  go away. 

Hard to penalize a bunch of 17-19 year olds this far after the fact. Can't equally penalize players either considering their varying degree of nhl success. Fines, sensitivity training,  community service, etc for sure but hockey Canada should be banned from some pretty significant international events if they want to really make a difference

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I guess Klingberg priced himself out of a lot of markets.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I guess Klingberg priced himself out of a lot of markets.

Maybe he ends up on a one year somewhere where he can boost his numbers again,

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He did. Apparently a one year deal with Anaheim for $7M (not confirmed)

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He did. Apparently a one year deal with Anaheim for $7M (not confirmed)

Hopefully that opens up the trade and FA market a little bit.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Problem is a lot of teams are up against the cap. Cap is going up first time in 3 years and it's a token $1M raise. The NHL is suffering its own "Long COVID".

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hearing there will be a contract extension signed by huberdeau. 8x10.5.
I have a feeling this deal will end poorly. The flames trying to remain competitive. Not much in the system coming up. This team is down trending. This is just prolonging the inevitable.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:Hearing there will be a contract extension signed by huberdeau. 8x10.5.
I have a feeling this deal will end poorly. The flames trying to remain competitive. Not much in the system coming up. This team is down trending. This is just prolonging the inevitable.

Yeah this was an awful signing. Contract is mainly all signing bonuses too. He will be 38 when the contract is over. Definitely a panic signing - you at least want to see him play a few games before dishing out this kind of money.

They need a 1C in the worst way possible. Like you said, they have practically nothing in the system. There are going to be a lot of 'wildcard' years for Calgary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Hearing there will be a contract extension signed by huberdeau. 8x10.5.

Yeah this was an awful signing. Contract is mainly all signing bonuses too. He will be 38 when the contract is over. Definitely a panic signing - you at least want to see him play a few games before dishing out this kind of money.

They need a 1C in the worst way possible. Like you said, they have practically nothing in the system. There are going to be a lot of 'wildcard' years for Calgary.
I think Lindholm is capable of being a 1C
Backlund is more of a 3C and god knows what the hell is going on with monahan. he’s lost his mojo in a big way. Definitely needs a fresh start.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 29]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum