GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+8
Vandelay
Hobiesens
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Flo The Action
tim1_2
wprager
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 36 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Sign Brady to the Zib deal and be done with this. He will never outproduce Zib offensively

Well it was never really about overproduction over someone but with the extra intangible.

I have to admit that if cash over 8x8 is the issue with Brady then he and his representatives are a bit out to lunch.

That said I’m not even sure Brady wants an 8 year deal. There’s a fair chance his goal has always been a bridge and the only way he might have signed a long term deal it’s with a massive overpayment.

I continue to think that he wants to hit FA as soon as he can.
If he gets a 3 year bridge he’ll go to arb after that and he’s gone the following year.

IMO this is a testament to how ownership has managed this club for the past 10 years.

You’re not going to get every player to extend for the long haul. Chabot and Batherson have done it, so there’s proof that not everyone is of the mindset of “not believing” in the direction/future

Brady getting a bridge will always be about control and money. If Zibanejad signed for 8 years back in the day, he wouldn’t be making nearly the same money as he will right now. That’s what Brady will be aiming for IMO. Sens should give him 5 years if they will take it

I don’t buy the fear over leaving in four years if he signs a three year bridge. Most players extend, and worst case you trade him after the third year for a bit package if he won’t sign long term. Not every young player gets a full term contract after their ELC

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I dunno. If you have the organization wanting to sign you long term and overpaying you relative to your peers and you don't take it, the organization should be looking st trading him while the team has control.

He's good and a guy you want to build around but he's replaceable. I'd much rather build around someone who wants to be here and has skill. Not saying I don't want the Sens to sign him but if he doesn't want to be here then move him. Nows the time where you can get max return.

If he wants to play in St Louis give me Kyrou, Parayko, and Bolduc and call it a day

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore

So what should Brady's contract numbers look like if you compare the Zib contract and the newly signed Suzuki?

Suzuki, 22, had 15 goals and 41 points in 56 games during the regular season in 2020-21.
Suzuki agrees to eight-year, $63 million

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hobiesens wrote:So what should Brady's contract numbers look like if you compare the Zib contract and the newly signed Suzuki?

Suzuki, 22, had 15 goals and 41 points in 56 games during the regular season in 2020-21.
Suzuki agrees to eight-year, $63 million

Yeah. Everything points to me that Tkachuk just doesn’t want to sign for more than a short term. The comparables are out there and 8x8nis more than fair.

I think it’s obvious what he wants.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Trade him at this point. If he doesn't want to be here let him go while his value is high

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Trade him at this point. If he doesn't want to be here let him go while his value is high

No thanks. Zero reason to trade him.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He's a 50 point player and they're handing him the keys to the team and probably $2M+ a year more than he deserves. He should sign and if things go south demand a trade. If he doesn't want to sign long term move on while there is team control

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He's a 50 point player and they're handing him the keys to the team and probably $2M+ a year more than he deserves. He should sign and if things go south demand a trade. If he doesn't want to sign long term move on while there is team control

He's a 50+ point scorer right now, with potential to put up 70+. Most guys like him aren't even in the league at his age.

Just because he won't committ to a long ter mdeal now doesn't mean he never will.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

In terms of skill, Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Pinto, Chabot, and Sanderson are or will be better than him.

Everyone talks about how he's the next Tom Wilson. Wilson's never scored more than 44 points in a season. Another comparable is Josh Anderson who has only scored more than 30 points once in his career. Wilson is making $5.1M and Anderson $5.5M. From the sounds of it Brady wants at least $3M more a year than these guys on a long-term deal. Sorry but if he doesn't want to take 8 x $8M then he and his agent are out to lunch. That value to me includes his future value. Stutzle is already better than him and really should be our 1 LW which pushes Tkachuk down to a middle six player on this team longer term. All the other RFAs and UFAs to be who signed at or close to $8M are proven, are better players, and aren't worried about future money, so why is a guy who has never eclipsed 45 points calling all the shots here?

If he wants a bridge he shouldn't get more than $6M a year, I wouldn't give him captain, and after next summer I'd look at moving him. You have to believe the other prospects, most notably Norris whose agent is Oster, is watching this and will try to bend Ottawa over backwards next summer. They need to resolve this now. I truly think you need to make a statement with Brady - get a deal done or move on from him.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:In terms of skill, Stutzle, Batherson, Norris, Pinto, Chabot, and Sanderson are or will be better than him.

Everyone talks about how he's the next Tom Wilson. Wilson's never scored more than 44 points in a season. Another comparable is Josh Anderson who has only scored more than 30 points once in his career. Wilson is making $5.1M and Anderson $5.5M. From the sounds of it Brady wants at least $3M more a year than these guys on a long-term deal. Sorry but if he doesn't want to take 8 x $8M then he and his agent are out to lunch. That value to me includes his future value. Stutzle is already better than him and really should be our 1 LW which pushes Tkachuk down to a middle six player on this team longer term. All the other RFAs and UFAs to be who signed at or close to $8M are proven, are better players, and aren't worried about future money, so why is a guy who has never eclipsed 45 points calling all the shots here?

If he wants a bridge he shouldn't get more than $6M a year, I wouldn't give him captain, and after next summer I'd look at moving him.  You have to believe the other prospects, most notably Norris whose agent is Oster, is watching this and will try to bend Ottawa over backwards next summer. They need to resolve this now. I truly think you need to make a statement with Brady - get a deal done or move on from him.

First of all, he has never eclipsed 45 points because his second year was shortened and this past year was only 56 games long. He was on pace for 25 goals and over 53 points. He's also 22 years old. Suzuki just got close to $8M and his production has been similar.

Nobody says Tkachuk is the next Tom Wilson. He is already a better scorer and producer than Wilson has been or ever will be. He's also way better than Josh Anderson who had a whopping 7 assists last year and 6 points on a stanley cup run. Brady should definitely earn at least 2-2.5 more than him.

Stutzle isn't better than Brady yet. He has more potential but is raw and worse defenisvely. I do expect him to eclipse Tkachuk offensively, no question. Saying Tkachuk will be a middle six is a huge stretch. He's 2nd line LW at the very worst, on any team in the league.

Trading him would be a big mistake. He's the heart and soul of this team and has way more upside than people give him credit for. They'll get something done - doesn't have to be long term rigth away.

Funny how you list Pinto in player's with more skill than him (which is extremely debatable). Guess yet another "no-skilled" Sens pick actually has lots of skill. Go figure.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Haha remember when everyone was upset when Pinto was picked?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Haha remember when everyone was upset when Pinto was picked?

I've literally seen people say it doesn't matter if Pinto becomes a star, it's all about "draft pick value" and it was "wasted value"

Like, jesus christ.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I agree that you don’t want to trade Tkachuk. Players like him don’t come around often.
As far as his potential he could easily become an over 30 goal guy. 70 points is totally plausible.

That said, if he gets a 3year bridge deal then by the end of the 2nd year you have to look into securing that long term contract. You don’t want to play out the 3 years and then see. Your bargaining power is much less if he enters the off season with a possibility of arbitration.

If he won’t commit after two years then you have to at least have two remaining years to dangle in a trade. You can’t set up another Mark Stone situation.
A healthy young Brady should net you at least the usually 1st, top prospect and good NHLer.

I want this team to secure Brady as I think he’s an Important part of a competitive team but you have to manage your assets well.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:Yeah, I agree that you don’t want to trade Tkachuk. Players like him don’t come around often.
As far as his potential he could easily become an over 30 goal guy. 70 points is totally plausible.

That said, if he gets a 3year bridge deal then by the end of the 2nd year you have to look into securing that long term contract. You don’t want to play out the 3 years and then see. Your bargaining power is much less if he enters the off season with a possibility of arbitration.

If he won’t commit after two years then you have to at least have two remaining years to dangle in a trade. You can’t set up another Mark Stone situation.
A healthy young Brady should net you at least the usually 1st, top prospect and good NHLer.

I want this team to secure Brady as I think he’s an Important part of a competitive team but you have to manage your assets well.

We've had zero goal scorers since Spezza and Michalek. We talk like it's an easy thing to do. Next 30 goal scorer won't be Brady.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Yeah, I agree that you don’t want to trade Tkachuk. Players like him don’t come around often.

We've had zero goal scorers since Spezza and Michalek. We talk like it's an easy thing to do. Next 30 goal scorer won't be Brady.

He gets close to 300 shots and had 25 goal pace this year. He can get to 30 for sure.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ovi moves I to the top 5 tonight.
He could possibly and probably move into the top 3 before the end of the season. It’s crazy.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Suzuki first and now pullock… 8 years deals just flying out the window.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Feeling better, now?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 36 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum