GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recommendations on what to watch

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

91Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Hisense and TCL are two that come to mind. Decent sets but I've picked up the remotes at Costco and could not find a menu item anywhere. Downloaded the user guide and couldn't find anything there either.

I spent a couple minutes on Google and found article detailing how to turn it off for both brands of TV.  Tough to figure it out for sure without using a specific model # as an example, but it does look like it's possible.

I picked up the remote at the store and went through all the menus. Maybe the 65" and up models have it but not the 50". All the big brands (Sony, Panny, LG, Samsung) have it and it's easily found. RCA, TCL and the other cheaper ones do not.

92Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:37 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If it doesn’t have the option then it shouldn’t have any soap opera effect to begin with

93Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:26 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Hisense and TCL are two that come to mind. Decent sets but I've picked up the remotes at Costco and could not find a menu item anywhere. Downloaded the user guide and couldn't find anything there either.

I spent a couple minutes on Google and found article detailing how to turn it off for both brands of TV.  Tough to figure it out for sure without using a specific model # as an example, but it does look like it's possible.

I picked up the remote at the store and went through all the menus. Maybe the 65" and up models have it but not the 50". All the big brands (Sony, Panny, LG, Samsung) have it and it's easily found. RCA, TCL and the other cheaper ones do not.

I mean, I don't really care, but I think you're wrong. Regardless, there are cheaper, better TVs you can get than the two brands you mention (I think you mentioned Vizio earlier). Rtings.com is an excellent resource.

94Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:21 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I liked Vizio when they first came out and were trying to capture market share by offering low prices. My main TV is a Vizio (main as in the living room -- we watch a crappy old/small Toshiba). I'd love to get another Vizio but their prices have gone up. TCL is kinda the new Vizio -- great TVs at lower prices -- but for the longest time Costco was not carrying the right size (for me) and getting one online in Canada was difficult. Now Costco carries the 50" but I couldn't find a menu item to disable motion settings. Maybe I can convince my wife that with the smaller bezels the 55"s are pretty much what the 50"s were a few years back. With my eyes getting older I certainly would appreciate the extra 5" (or the extra foot if comparing to what I'm squinting at now).

95Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting. I was just reading an in-depth review of the TCL 4-series TV and apparently it doesn't even have motion smoothing/interpolation available. The 4-series is significantly lower price than the 6-series (bonus for me, since I'm not looking to break the bank). It's possible that the "soap opera effect" was simply on at the source and not something the TV introduced (I remember once watching something on a particular channel and the SOE was excruciating -- it was apparently introduced at the source and others also noticed an complained; I watched other episodes of the same show on the same channel and they were fine, so it was just this one). So it's also possible that whatever source that was being fed into the TV at the store was just bad.

96Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The best part about buying from Costco is their liberal return policy.

97Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:54 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How bout them Blue Jays?! They were a zillion games out of the Wildcard a month or so ago and are now ahead of the Yankees by 1.5 games. 13 games left in the regular season, hopefully the Jays get that Wildcard game.

98Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Morning Show S2 just started. Half way through E01 I was thoroughly confused. Will have to find a god recap.

Foundation is coming on the 24th (also on AppleTV+). I've almost never really enjoyed any Sci Fi anthologies or limited run series, but I keep hoping.

99Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Huh? The plan is for 80 episodes? So an 8 season run. Why did I think it would be a limited run series?

100Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We've tried watching the first episode of Foundation *twice* without getting through it. Huge budget and it shows. Was hoping it would grab me like GoT did but it just ... didn't. Maybe we'll finally finish it tonight.

101Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Meanwhile we've been watching Good Girls and it's alright. Just hard to imagine Christina Hendricks and "Shabby" as a couple, though. Mae Whitman ("Her?") is a hoot.

102Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Meanwhile we've been watching Good Girls and it's alright.   Just hard to imagine Christina Hendricks and "Shabby" as a couple, though.  Mae Whitman ("Her?") is a hoot.

Shabbs?

103Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Meanwhile we've been watching Good Girls and it's alright.   Just hard to imagine Christina Hendricks and "Shabby" as a couple, though.  Mae Whitman ("Her?") is a hoot.

Shabbs?

Matthew Lillard (played "Shabby" in the Scooby Doo movies).

104Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I trust I don't need to explain who Christina Hendricks is.

105Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You mean Shaggy?

106Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Crap. Yes. The first time was autocorrect. But I didn't even notice it in the reply. Getting old.

107Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:51 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Shabby lol

108Recommendations on what to watch - Page 7 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My daughter started binging Squid Game. I watched the first episode and maybe they should have called it the Squib Game (lots of people getting shot). It's like Hunger Games but with the kill count turned up to 11. Not my cup of tea but if you're into that kind of things it's done very well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum