GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recommendations on what to watch

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1Recommendations on what to watch Empty Recommendations on what to watch Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Thought it might be fun to find out what others recommend to watch. I don't have any tv subscription (just internet) so for me it's limited to Netflix and Prime, for now; thinking of subbing out Netflix for me Crave a little later, for a few months. Probably will try the Apple TV free trial, too. I prefer shows over movies almost exclusively.

Here are some of my recommendations:

Broadchurch (of you haven't seen it, what's wrong with you?)

Luther (can't wait till it's back on Netflix)

Trapped (Icelandic, no dubbed track, similar to Broadchurch)

To the lake (Russian pandemic apocalypse type; waiting for S2)

Imposters (fun show, much less serious than the others)

Magic for Humans (street magic, mostly)

Cardinal (Canadian but good; no, really)

Last edited by wprager on Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

After Life on Netflix is great if you like Ricky Gervais and enjoy dark comedies.

There's a "High Score" docu-series also on Netflix about video games. It's a bit whacky, but I also really enjoyed it.

3Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:18 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:After Life on Netflix is great if you like Ricky Gervais and enjoy dark comedies.

There's a "High Score" docu-series also on Netflix about video games.  It's a bit whacky, but I also really enjoyed it.  

I *should* like Gervais, but for some reason he rubs me the wrong way. I didn't last past the first episode of the UK Office and Derek. But I didn't get the same vibe watching the first episode of After Life. Maybe I'll circle back. I hear there is a S3 coming.

4Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:33 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Escape at Dannemora is a fun, whacky mini series based on the real life escape from an upstate New York prison back in 2015 I believe.

5Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Started the Apple TV+ 7 day trial. Binged Ted Lasso on Saturday (good, not great, but maybe I was expecting too much because of the hype). Watching The Morning Show and For All Mankind. Both quite good, but there's no way we finish then before the trial runs out.

6Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:32 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Watched the movie "Adrift" on Netflix. Really good if you like sailing, the ocean, etc.

7Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:34 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don't watch much TV but I just watched two seasons of Ozark. First one was good, second was pretty boring.

Queen's Gambit was very good

8Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:02 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I get your feelings about Ozark Season 2. Season 3 is quite good though, so stick with it.

Also, agreed on Queen's Gambit. Who knew that a series about a woman playing chess in the 50s/60s would be so entertaining?

9Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Morning Show is so strange. Can't figure out who the protagonists are. Pretty sure there aren't any. My favorite character is the slightly sociopathic head of News Division played by Billy Crudup. Gives me vibes of the Green Goblin (Dafoe) and Patrick Bateman (Bale) but much more likeable than either.

10Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

For All Mankind is interesting, if a bit slow. The creator/show-runner is Ronald D. Moore (BSG, Outlander). The premise is an alternate version of history where Russia wins the space race.

11Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My 7 day trial is up tonight but at $6 per month I will splurge. Probably cancel Netflix for a couple months.

12Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If you think The Morning Show is a sitcom about a tv talk show think again. First, the format is 1 hour(ish) episodes. Second, although there are some funny bits it is much more drama than comedy. It gets quite dark, sometimes. And it's pretty good. Billy Crudup is easily the best thing on the show although Steve Carell does a great job playing a really creepy character (whom everyone loves and who doesn't really understand he's the bad one).

13Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I watched "Arctic" on Netflix last night. A Mads Mikkelsen movie about a guy stranded in...the Arctic. It was good!

14Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sadly, I almost never watch movies any more. Just shows, now. The new season of The Sinner is a tough watch. It's good ... but in a bad way

wprager likes this post

15Recommendations on what to watch Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Typically after an episode of The Sinner I put on a return of Castle to cleanse the palate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum