GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recommendations on what to watch

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

76Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:26 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

It's getting really good!

77Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:55 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The survival show Alone. Reality survival done right.

78Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Not so much what, but how. I've been quite happy with my Roku stick but the old AppleTV-3 in the basement (the only time I "use" it is when my wife has problems with it when she works out) is on its last legs and the built-in "smart tv" functions on the main living room set are getting long in the tooth. So I've been considering at least one upgrade. The latest version of the ChromeCast (with Google TV) is an almost ideal choice. Much more horsepower and RAM than the Roku stick, with a much slicker interface (voice search on the remote, searching across all your free and subscribed services, and the ability to run the Chrome browser for web-based content). Still no micro-SD slot is a pain (the steps to work around that require a USB HUB and a bigger power-source -- doable, if I end up downloading a lot of apps/games). But just recently I heard that Google will be announcing a new streaming platform when the Pixel 6 comes out (likely early October). I would be over the moon if they added a micro-SD slot to this one. On the other hand, the Roku pairs easily with a Roku soundbar (but it costs double, and the soundbar is another $200 or more -- I think I've got a soundbar somewhere I'm not using so I could just feed the TV audio out into that).

So, should I just get the current ChromeCast or wait to see what's new in October?

79Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:28 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Not so much what, but how.  I've been quite happy with my Roku stick but the old AppleTV-3 in the basement (the only time I "use" it is when my wife has problems with it when she works out) is on its last legs and the built-in "smart tv" functions on the main living room set are getting long in the tooth.  So I've been considering at least one upgrade.  The latest version of the ChromeCast (with Google TV) is an almost ideal choice.  Much more horsepower and RAM than the Roku stick, with a much slicker interface (voice search on the remote, searching across all your free and subscribed services, and the ability to run the Chrome browser for web-based content).  Still no micro-SD slot is a pain (the steps to work around that require a USB HUB and a bigger power-source -- doable, if I end up downloading a lot of apps/games).  But just recently I heard that Google will be announcing a new streaming platform when the Pixel 6 comes out (likely early October).  I would be over the moon if they added a micro-SD slot to this one.  On the other hand, the Roku pairs easily with a Roku soundbar (but it costs double, and the soundbar is another $200 or more -- I think I've got a soundbar somewhere I'm not using so I could just feed the TV audio out into that).

So, should I just get the current ChromeCast or wait to see what's new in October?

I haven't heard anything about a new streaming platform...so barring that, Chromecast is definitely the way to go. I don't think we'll see any new streaming devices with memory card slots.

80Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently they have applied to the FCC for some new device in the streaming area and it
s most likely to be announced along with Pixel 5. A micro-SD slot would be so easy to add.

Also the new Chromecast has bluetooth but it's currently mostly limited to just the remote. But I did see one youtube video where the guy was trying to pair it with some speakers and tried playing different sources. Disney+ would not play at all (no audio) and one other source (forget which one) had significant lag. Also in a couple of his tests he noticed some glitches which sometimes would clear up after a disconnect/re-connect (at one point there was audio only in the left channel, then after a re-connect both were heard). So it looks like there are some issues -- but they never did include that as a feature (Roku sells a soundbar which pairs nicely with the player -- this is to allow audio from the streaming service without having to hook your TV audio out to a soundbar or putting everything through a receiver). So maybe the rumored new Chromecast will fix the bluetooth audio "quirks". Or maybe they'll add a headphone jack to the remote like Roku -- I'd prefer bluetooth for obvious reasons.

81Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Apparently they have applied to the FCC for some new device in the streaming area and it
s most likely to be announced along with Pixel 5.  A micro-SD slot would be so easy to add.

Also the new Chromecast has bluetooth but it's currently mostly limited to just the remote.  But I did see one youtube video where the guy was trying to pair it with some speakers and tried playing different sources.  Disney+ would not play at all (no audio) and one other source (forget which one) had significant lag.  Also in a couple of his tests he noticed some glitches which sometimes would clear up after a disconnect/re-connect (at one point there was audio only in the left channel, then after a re-connect both were heard).  So it looks like there are some issues -- but they never did include that as a feature (Roku sells a soundbar which pairs nicely with the player -- this is to allow audio from the streaming service without having to hook your TV audio out to a soundbar or putting everything through a receiver).  So maybe the rumored new Chromecast will fix the bluetooth audio "quirks".  Or maybe they'll add a headphone jack to the remote like Roku -- I'd prefer bluetooth for obvious reasons.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to play audio bluetoothed from your Chromecast to speakers? Generally speakers would be hooked into the TV either directly or through a receiver, in which case you don't need the Chromecast paired directly with them.

Maybe I'm old school but I just have a hard time envisioning a Chromecast plugged into a TV, and then also bluetoothed to separate speakers. If it were connected via Bluetooth to provide audio out through speakers, there definitely would be desync between the video and audio, so you'd need some sort of built-in software adjustment to adjust the audio sync (I remember Roku had this integrated into their box, as do a variety of other programs).

82Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Apparently they have applied to the FCC for some new device in the streaming area and it
s most likely to be announced along with Pixel 5.  A micro-SD slot would be so easy to add.

Also the new Chromecast has bluetooth but it's currently mostly limited to just the remote.  But I did see one youtube video where the guy was trying to pair it with some speakers and tried playing different sources.  Disney+ would not play at all (no audio) and one other source (forget which one) had significant lag.  Also in a couple of his tests he noticed some glitches which sometimes would clear up after a disconnect/re-connect (at one point there was audio only in the left channel, then after a re-connect both were heard).  So it looks like there are some issues -- but they never did include that as a feature (Roku sells a soundbar which pairs nicely with the player -- this is to allow audio from the streaming service without having to hook your TV audio out to a soundbar or putting everything through a receiver).  So maybe the rumored new Chromecast will fix the bluetooth audio "quirks".  Or maybe they'll add a headphone jack to the remote like Roku -- I'd prefer bluetooth for obvious reasons.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to play audio bluetoothed from your Chromecast to speakers?  Generally speakers would be hooked into the TV either directly or through a receiver, in which case you don't need the Chromecast paired directly with them.  

Maybe I'm old school but I just have a hard time envisioning a Chromecast plugged into a TV, and then also bluetoothed to separate speakers.  If it were connected via Bluetooth to provide audio out through speakers, there definitely would be desync between the video and audio, so you'd need some sort of built-in software adjustment to adjust the audio sync (I remember Roku had this integrated into their box, as do a variety of other programs).  

Currently I listen to the audio through the TV's crappy speakers. Older TV, doesn't have optical audio out and I don't think my soundbar (wherever it is now) has RCA in. I'd have to run everything through a receiver and that's just not happening -- I want *fewer* pieces of equipment, not more. A bluetooth solution would work (except for OTA, of course, but that's rare) and would eliminate additional wiring. I would also be able to pair with my earbuds and listen that way.

83Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:05 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to play audio bluetoothed from your Chromecast to speakers?  Generally speakers would be hooked into the TV either directly or through a receiver, in which case you don't need the Chromecast paired directly with them.  

Maybe I'm old school but I just have a hard time envisioning a Chromecast plugged into a TV, and then also bluetoothed to separate speakers.  If it were connected via Bluetooth to provide audio out through speakers, there definitely would be desync between the video and audio, so you'd need some sort of built-in software adjustment to adjust the audio sync (I remember Roku had this integrated into their box, as do a variety of other programs).  

Currently I listen to the audio through the TV's crappy speakers. Older TV, doesn't have optical audio out and I don't think my soundbar (wherever it is now) has RCA in.  I'd have to run everything through a receiver and that's just not happening -- I want *fewer* pieces of equipment, not more.  A bluetooth solution would work (except for OTA, of course, but that's rare) and would eliminate additional wiring. I would also be able to pair with my earbuds and listen that way.

Interesting. What year is that TV?

84Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think it might actually be only a 720p set. Over 10 years easily.

85Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:42 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm sure you've thought of it, but you can get a pretty cheap replacement TV running AndroidTV built in, and then don't have to buy a Chromecast or any other separate device....

86Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Sony bravia XBR is my preferred TV. Built in Chromecast and android tv. Can get a lot of apps including Kodi

87Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sony XBR is hardly a cheap replacement tv (and I realize I'm combining two separate posts on my reply). It's no secret I'm cheap. But I don't like buying cheap stuff. So I won't get an RCA but I would also never get a Sony (good but overpriced). I like new brands that are good but still inexpensive because they are trying to gain market share. I got a Vizio but made sure I got the model with the true 10-bit panel (versus 8-bits and s/w "pretending"), and I love me some Xiaomi (but ordering a flat panel from China seems odd). I'd get one of the lower priced sets from Costco but none of them seem to have the ability to turn off smoothing - a deal breaker for me (hate soap opera effect). Probably will eventually get a mid priced set from Costco when it's in sale.

88Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:31 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Can you give me an example of a TV that you can't turn off smoothing on? Every one I've ever seen, it's easily disabled.

89Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hisense and TCL are two that come to mind. Decent sets but I've picked up the remotes at Costco and could not find a menu item anywhere. Downloaded the user guide and couldn't find anything there either.

90Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:29 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Hisense and TCL are two that come to mind. Decent sets but I've picked up the remotes at Costco and could not find a menu item anywhere. Downloaded the user guide and couldn't find anything there either.

I spent a couple minutes on Google and found article detailing how to turn it off for both brands of TV. Tough to figure it out for sure without using a specific model # as an example, but it does look like it's possible.

91Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Hisense and TCL are two that come to mind. Decent sets but I've picked up the remotes at Costco and could not find a menu item anywhere. Downloaded the user guide and couldn't find anything there either.

I spent a couple minutes on Google and found article detailing how to turn it off for both brands of TV.  Tough to figure it out for sure without using a specific model # as an example, but it does look like it's possible.

I picked up the remote at the store and went through all the menus. Maybe the 65" and up models have it but not the 50". All the big brands (Sony, Panny, LG, Samsung) have it and it's easily found. RCA, TCL and the other cheaper ones do not.

92Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:37 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If it doesn’t have the option then it shouldn’t have any soap opera effect to begin with

93Recommendations on what to watch - Page 6 Empty Re: Recommendations on what to watch Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:26 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I spent a couple minutes on Google and found article detailing how to turn it off for both brands of TV.  Tough to figure it out for sure without using a specific model # as an example, but it does look like it's possible.

I picked up the remote at the store and went through all the menus. Maybe the 65" and up models have it but not the 50". All the big brands (Sony, Panny, LG, Samsung) have it and it's easily found. RCA, TCL and the other cheaper ones do not.

I mean, I don't really care, but I think you're wrong. Regardless, there are cheaper, better TVs you can get than the two brands you mention (I think you mentioned Vizio earlier). Rtings.com is an excellent resource.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum