GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+16
Hoags
22_4_ever
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
tim1_2
spader
rooneypoo
shabbs
LeCaptain
wprager
Ev
Flo The Action
NEELY
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 67]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:There was a tweet earlier, "They should have offered him $5.55M and said that's the only tripple low-five he'll get this season."
They should have gone long term when they did the bridge deal... would look good now.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

#Delicious

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Arbitration is the player bragging about why they are awesome and the team telling them why they are Dung.

Do you think someone with an ego like PK is going to take well to this? Nope.

Cue the arbitration award and the subsequent trade talks.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Will be interesting to see how his play is after this. Going through that process can't be fun.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No idea why the habs are messing around with him, but I enjoy it.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#DeliciousDisaster

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Arbitration is the player bragging about why they are awesome and the team telling them why they are Dung.

Do you think someone with an ego like PK is going to take well to this?  Nope.

Cue the arbitration award and the subsequent trade talks.

His ego is so huge they'll have to move the talks outdoors because he won't be able to fit his head through the door. I'm not convinced he'll take this process hard. He's so full of himself that anything negative about him will be in one ear and out the other.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Chris Johnston: Don Meehan tells Sportsnet that there are no plans to continue negotiating a long-term deal for Subban before the arbitrator's award.

Wow.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, a 1 year deal it will be.

Should make for a nice distraction all season long...

#delicious

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Man I'm with bergevin here. Subban is probably the most overrated player in the league at the moment. What has he done to deserve a huge pay day?

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Really, you don't see what he's done? Ok, lets take the salaries of the last 5 Norris Winners.

Lidstrom 2010-11 6.2 million
Keith 2009-10 and 2013-14 5.53 Million
Karlsson 2011-12 6.5 million
Chara 2008-09 7.5 million

So at first glance it looks like what Montreal is offering is close to what these guys all made, however 1) The Cap has dramatically gone up in some of the cases so it's a case of yesterdays 6.5 is todays 8 million
and for all of these guys they took multi year deals (5 years plus) and worked in cap friendly years to pull the average cap hit down.

On a one year max deal, every one of those guys made 7.5 Million plus..

So, Norris, runs your pp, and all offense on the back end goes through him, Gold medal for Team Canada, face of your franchise, and last but not least you're paying Markov 7 million this year.

I think Subban has every right to be pissed.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hahaha. i think you guys have it all wrong.
I'm sure they offered him a lucrative 8 year deal. PK (and his agent) want short term deals. they can probably get a 2-3 year deal for 7.5 now. after he can walk as a UFA or really leverage the team for 10+ a season. it's really about maximizing the amount of money he can get.
i'm not sure PK wants to leave Montreal once he gets to UFA, but he'll want all the tools to control his destiny.

to me this is a perfect example of an agency trying to figure out what is the best way to maximize revenues from a player with a player willing to go with it. this might set a precedence for many big contracts to come with young players.

for us it could be a good idea to lock up bobby rye for the longest term possible as he could also be a player which in three years costs us a lot more then what he does today.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My uneducated opinion from afar: MTL likes, maybe really likes, Subban but doesn't LOVE him. And you have to LOVE someone at 8 x $8-9M+ per.

Mckenzie is bang on.

I feel subban isn't as highly regarded as the fans think he is.

Is give him 6.5 this year, 7 million every other year like karlsson got

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:Really, you don't see what he's done?  Ok, lets take the salaries of the last 5 Norris Winners.

Lidstrom 2010-11 6.2 million
Keith 2009-10 and 2013-14   5.53 Million
Karlsson 2011-12  6.5 million
Chara 2008-09  7.5 million

So at first glance it looks like what Montreal is offering is close to what these guys all made, however 1) The Cap has dramatically gone up in some of the cases so it's a case of yesterdays 6.5 is todays 8 million
and for all of these guys they took multi year deals (5 years plus) and worked in cap friendly years to pull the average cap hit down.

On a one year max deal, every one of those guys made 7.5 Million plus..

So, Norris, runs your pp, and all offense on the back end goes through him, Gold medal for Team Canada, face of your franchise, and last but not least you're paying Markov 7 million this year.

I think Subban has every right to be pissed.

I think they'd do just fine with markov being their main offensive guy personally.

Look at subbans stats last year. Not great.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My guess now is they go with the 1-year arb decision and then negotiate a long term deal next season.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

For as bad as you say his stats were, he was still top 5 in the league as a defenseman, and had to deal with the Olympics and was still amongst the best in the league.

You're argument is moot when it comes to stats when you look at Markov and realize his are worse, but you've offered him more.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Whatever Subban gets now, he'll likely want more on a long term deal after... Habs are gonna be caught again...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Would love to know what the Habs offered as a long team deal last night and what Subban's side really wants...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum