GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+16
Hoags
22_4_ever
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
tim1_2
spader
rooneypoo
shabbs
LeCaptain
wprager
Ev
Flo The Action
NEELY
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Worth vs actual money is a completely different thing.  If he owns a t-shirt company and has a billion dollars in inventory, he might be "worth" a billion dollars but he might have a nickle to his name.  That's obviously an over simplified example but I would say Melnyk doesn't have a ton of cash right now as it is invested in a lot of other places.

That and his wife cleaned him out in a divorce.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:ROR contract talks take a turn for the worse?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-2014-free-agent-trade-rumours-latest-hearsay-leafs-canadiens-canucks-penguins-bruins/

Man I hope the Sens trade for that guy.

Would you give up Zibanejad for him?

Yup
They're headed to arbitration at this rate... can he even be traded? No offer sheets can come in.

Yes they can. You can't offer sheet a player who elects arbitration, but if the club does, they still can.

According to the Score:

Since it was Colorado that elected to take O'Reilly to arbitration, he can still sign offers from other teams.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

This is interesting. David Moss signed in Switzerland yesterday. The contract included an out-clause stating that he could nullify the contract if he received an NHL offer within 7 days. Today, he gets and accepts an offer for $800K from the Coyotes.

That's how you play hardball.  Clapping 

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:
shabbs wrote:
NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:ROR contract talks take a turn for the worse?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-2014-free-agent-trade-rumours-latest-hearsay-leafs-canadiens-canucks-penguins-bruins/

Man I hope the Sens trade for that guy.

Would you give up Zibanejad for him?

Yup
They're headed to arbitration at this rate... can he even be traded? No offer sheets can come in.

Yes they can. You can't offer sheet a player who elects arbitration, but if the club does, they still can.

According to the Score:

Since it was Colorado that elected to take O'Reilly to arbitration, he can still sign offers from other teams.
Good to know!

Murray, Dion... make it so.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Shell game, it's all a shell game.  I don't think the Sens will ever make huge profit short of winning a cup but they don't lose money either.  Anyways, everyone knows it's all BS, the issue is whether or not people choose to let it bother them or their loyalty/opinions of the Sens.

It's not BS at all. Instead of buying the team outright (he had the money) he ended up borrowing money. As the value of the team kept going up he kept re-financing it so that today he owes *more* than he did when he first bought it. A large chunk of the revenues is eaten up by the cost of servicing that growing debt. This is where an owner with deep pockets could come in and pay off the debt, and the team would be a money maker. Or bring in some partners -- sell off shares in the team and pay off at least a big chunk of it. Until that's done the team will continue to generate enough money to service the debt and provide some spending cash for Melnyk (being a former billionaire can be expensive).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:http://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists-and-rankings/rich-100-the-full-2014-ranking/

According to Canadian Business Mr. Melnyk is listed 77th out of the top 100 wealthiest people in Canada at a worth just over 1B.

Why again is this team on a tight budget?

Liquidity might be a problem. He sold off his horses this year for a reason.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:Shell game, it's all a shell game.  I don't think the Sens will ever make huge profit short of winning a cup but they don't lose money either.  Anyways, everyone knows it's all BS, the issue is whether or not people choose to let it bother them or their loyalty/opinions of the Sens.

It's not BS at all.  Instead of buying the team outright (he had the money) he ended up borrowing money.  As the value of the team kept going up he kept re-financing it so that today he owes *more* than he did when he first bought it.  A large chunk of the revenues is eaten up by the cost of servicing that growing debt.  This is where an owner with deep pockets could come in and pay off the debt, and the team would be a money maker.  Or bring in some partners -- sell off shares in the team and pay off at least a big chunk of it.  Until that's done the team will continue to generate enough money to service the debt and provide some spending cash for Melnyk (being a former billionaire can be expensive).

His side of the story for borrowing to buy the team, was that he couldn't sell his Biovail shares when the funds were needed as it was in a 'blackout period' which is when insiders can't sell their shares.

I think his cash flow is non-existent except for the Sens. We know Trimel doesn't provide him with anything in way of cash and he is selling his horses.

I think he was more or less forced to sell his horses to raise money to cover his debt. It's probably BS that he was actually retiring from horse racing.

The Sens actually need an owner(s) with excellent outside business interests so they don't need the Sens to provide their cash flow.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
Murray, Dion... make it so.

He made $6.5M last year. Compensation for an offer sheet over $6.728M is 2 firsts, a second and a third. And he might not sign that. Over $8.4M (unlikely, but that would do it for sure) is 4 firsts. Recall that we have to overpay for free agents because of the tax situation here.

You sure you still want to do this?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think you have to give a QO when the club elects arbitration. Since club-elected arbitration takes the place of a QO, he can now be awarded a salary as low as 85% of last year's. The number I keep seeing for him is a little over $5.5M.

I don't know what that means for an offer sheet, but I don't think it's a regular situation where you have to give him a 10% bump.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You want him to sign an OS from Ottawa you have to give him lots of money.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Now the Pens say Crysby doesn't need surgery on his wrist....?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:Now the Pens say Crysby doesn't need surgery on his wrist....?
Trying to rehab it... we've seen that before.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Now the Pens say Crysby doesn't need surgery on his wrist....?
Trying to rehab it... we've seen that before.

Bandaid boy.  How many games has he played two of the last three seasons?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Derek Roy signs 1 year $1M deal with Nashville. If the Sens truly didn't want to spend, wouldn't Roy be a better choice than Legwand?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Derek Roy signs 1 year $1M deal with Nashville.  If the Sens truly didn't want to spend, wouldn't Roy be a better choice than Legwand?

Ditto for Ribeiro, on all 3 fronts.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Didn't realize Preds also signed Joikinen and Ribeiro. Talk about a budget team. They're less than $4M up on Ottawa and that's *with* Weber's contract (which is on Homer anyway). And let's not forget the biggest move that proves that Ottawa cares more about winning that saving money -- Spezza's $3M "free" cap top-up.

Sandy, you reading this?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Derek Roy signs 1 year $1M deal with Nashville.  If the Sens truly didn't want to spend, wouldn't Roy be a better choice than Legwand?

Think this is appropriate... F**K NO

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Wouldn't touch Jokinen, Roy, or Riberiro with Spezza's c*** and Heatley pushing. People cry and whine about Spezza's game and then they will probably up and cry about not signing any of these guys. There's a reason 29 other teams wouldn't sign them and the one team that did isn't willing to give them more than close to league min on a 1 year deal.

Roster spots are better used on young guys who don't have coke problems, attitude problems, injury problems, or w/e the hell else is wrong with them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum