GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Winnipeg Jets :: 3:00pm ET :: Sat. Mar. 8th, 2014

+11
Hobiesens
SensHulk
sandysensfan
NEELY
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You can't argue with that stat...

Wink

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Is this adrenaline with hemsky or what? Dude looks fantastic.

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

I'm sure that's a big part of it. Good news is, either way, playing this well builds his confidence and his line's confidence. It's a quick way to ramp up some chemistry. We still need to temper expectations. The issues with Hemsky are not about skill and although he disappeared a bit in edmonton, he is a big game performer. The issue is staying healthy. This is what scares me moving forward with three top 6 guys (Spezza, Michalek, and Hemsky) that are great if they're actually 100% healthy but how often, at this stage in their careers, are they 100%?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hemsky is a great skater, he's skilled, it's not a fluke he's doing this with a little more mature team than Edmonton. Hell the fact he has some chemistry with Spezza is only a good thing and you beg and pray it stays like that. Him and Michalek are both players they should be resigning for a fewe reasons.

1. Winger depth is poor as it is and letting 2 of your top 4 wingers leave isn't exactly a smart move.

2. It's not like UFA's are lining up ready to sign in Ottawa.

3. No one has any idea how ready the prospects are and they are certainly not proven.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

All depends what kind of term they're looking for.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Short of both those guys demanding 5 plus year deals they should be resigning them.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Hemsky is a great skater, he's skilled, it's not a fluke he's doing this with a little more mature team than Edmonton.  Hell the fact he has some chemistry with Spezza is only a good thing and you beg and pray it stays like that.  Him and Michalek are both players they should be resigning for a fewe reasons.

1.  Winger depth is poor as it is and letting 2 of your top 4 wingers leave isn't exactly a smart move.

2.  It's not like UFA's are lining up ready to sign in Ottawa.

3.  No one has any idea how ready the prospects are and they are certainly not proven.

Michalek always seems to be there when goals happen, whether he's chipping in, making plays or screening the goaler. If he's lost a step or whatever, he's finding ways to contribute otherwise. He looked just as happy about Hoffman scoring as Hoffman himself. Seems like a great guy who understands what a team is all about.

I haven't seen such a blatant display of speed as I've seen with Hemsky, for Ottawa, since the young Hoffer. Very impressive.

You look at a guy like Evander Kane in that game and make direct comparisons, Hemsky and Hoffman's speed with the puck is light years ahead of Kane.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

The only problem that kills and will kill this team in the future is all those guys playing hurt or in some kind of recovery/rehab. I understand they need to play and they are UFA soon so they need to show they can perform but it doesn't hcange the fact that the team is struggling big time because of it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Hemsky is a great skater, he's skilled, it's not a fluke he's doing this with a little more mature team than Edmonton.  Hell the fact he has some chemistry with Spezza is only a good thing and you beg and pray it stays like that.  Him and Michalek are both players they should be resigning for a fewe reasons.

1.  Winger depth is poor as it is and letting 2 of your top 4 wingers leave isn't exactly a smart move.

3.  No one has any idea how ready the prospects are and they are certainly not proven.

ya giving hemsky a new contract is most likely a good idea, he'll probably spend some of that time of IR which means shots will be given to some rookies because of it. kind of funny how it could ease the transition for many young players.
that is if he wants to stay in ottawa...
Michalek I just can't see the org extending him an offer. maybe a 1 or 2 years tops. just too many issues with injuries. he might be inclined to take a 2 year contract if it means proving he can stay healthy.
But i won't be surprised if both aren't in the line-up next season.

I'll stick to my guns though, I'd like spezza traded.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Older guys getting injured or going on IR is when the young guys prove they belong and deserve a roster spot. It's been that way for a long time. If they push the vets out of their spots then great but as of yet they have not.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Older guys getting injured or going on IR is when the young guys prove they belong and deserve a roster spot.  It's been that way for a long time.  If they push the vets out of their spots then great but as of yet they have not.
yes that's kind of why im ok with keeping hemsky. if we were a cap team then maybe that could prove problematic to have guys like hem and mic in with the possibility of them being out at different stretch but where we stand we could keep them and if they get injured replace them from within and if that doesnt work we still have cap space to aquire other players.

I really hope now that spezza finishes the year on a good note so we can flip him to the rags maybe with a D-man fora combination of stepan or brassard and a another top 6 winger. then maybe the sens could be in to sign D Boyle. the more he continues to go without a contract the more i see there might finally be chance to land him. we need another vet on D. I know that's a lot of moves but that would put us in much better shape for next year.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

That's all well and good in theory. It would work out perfectly if those three vets played 70-80% of the games in perfect health and let young guys step in while they rest up to ensure they're playing at 100%. That doesn't happen though, as we're seeing this year. Chronic issues and when they are supposedly healthy, the injury takes its tole and conditioning isn't where it needs to be.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Either way no rookie or prospect has come in and taken Michalek's spot and he's having an off year. Laying it all on those same prospects is not only a risk it's a stupid and easily avoidable risk.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:

ya giving hemsky a new contract is most likely a good idea, he'll probably spend some of that time of IR which means shots will be given to some rookies because of it. kind of funny how it could ease the transition for many young players.
Michalek I just can't see the org extending him an offer. maybe a 1 or 2 years tops. just too many issues with injuries. he might be inclined to take a 2 year contract if it means proving he can stay healthy.

I think he'd probably want to stay, especially if he keeps clicking with Spezza. It also probably doesn't hurt that Ottawa traded for him. This is a guy whose former team has tried to get rid of him a million times.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think he'd probably want to stay, especially if he keeps clicking with Spezza. It also probably doesn't hurt that Ottawa traded for him. This is a guy whose former team has tried to get rid of him a million times.
and chose to resign even after the first bout of talks of them trading him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Either way no rookie or prospect has come in and been given Michalek's spot and he's having an off year.  Laying it all on those same prospects is not only a risk it's a stupid and easily avoidable risk.  

FYP

The coach had a bit to do with this, too.  Michalek struggled mightily and no-one was *given* the chance to take his place.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't know what to think about Michalek. I don't really want him back...but if this hemsky deal makes him play like that, then who knows. Depends what he wants. 2.5 for one year is about all I'd do.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:I don't know what to think about Michalek.  I don't really want him back...but if this hemsky deal makes him play like that, then who knows.  Depends what he wants.   2.5 for one year is about all I'd do.
then I think he decides to walk. even with his injury history i'm sure he can get more then that on the open market.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum