GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Winnipeg Jets :: 3:00pm ET :: Sat. Mar. 8th, 2014

+11
Hobiesens
SensHulk
sandysensfan
NEELY
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
wprager
PTFlea
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Vandelay

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:Meh, there are prospects who could put up the numbers Michalek put up this year easily.  Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Da Costa.  Put them in a position to succeed like Michalek was in and by this point I bet they'd have better goal totals.

Michalek's knee looked done earlier in the season.  If it's back to 100%, then perhaps you take a 1 year chance, but you don't pay too much, that's for sure.

And there's the rub. He has gotten better as the year goes on and he's played in every game this year. He definitely doesn't look like the power forward he has in the past but maybe it's just conditioning and confidence. Would you rather take the risk with Michalek at 3.5-4 or pay Stastny 6-7 (assuming he makes it to UFA)?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:NEELY you're being a bit one-sided in this argument.  You're basically saying that if you don't re-sign Michalek then you're also not re-signing Hemsky (no-one said that) and then you lose Ryan and MacArthur so Stone has to score 25-35 goals.  Looks like you dragged that argument to the top of the hill and then just let it fly from there.

All anyone is saying (and, to be clear, I have not thrown my hat into either ring yet) is that they are leery (or outright against) re-signing Michalek given how he played.  Hoffman, if given those top-six and PP minutes, would likely have produced the same or better numbers, as would Stone or Da Costa (not sure I agree on this one).

That's very possibly true.  In any case, Michalek used to be good for 25-30+ goals per year and he is nowhere near that.  We are certainly missing that production and it needs to be replaced.  Are *you* sure that Michalek is the one to replace it?  While I doubt that Hoffman or Stone will replace that production in their first full season, I don't think Michalek would, either.  So if you're keeping him around to provide secondary or even tertiary scoring you better not pay him anything north of $2.5M.

So if you don't re-sign him, then what?  Well, you could try for a UFA or even an RFA.  Or trade for a pending free agent given how many players we have ready for that one-way.

I'm stating the facts. No top 6 wingers signed beyond next year, that's a fact. You plan for that kind of thing and despite what some fans hope and wish might happen Stone, Hoffman, Peumpel, Prince, and whoever else might be coming down the pipeline on the wing have not proven to be better players than any of the top 4 right now. GM's don't make their moves based on hope and faith either.

As for the 2.5 mil... Michalek isn't a 2.5 million dollar player and I have no idea where you grabbed that number from, he won't be making less than Greening, lol. Michalek and Hemsky are both around 4-4.5 mil for sure on a 3 or 4 years deal for sure.

As for trying for a UFA, who is out there that is better than Michalek right now that will come in at the same kind of price? Pretty much none. You going to give Moulson 5-6 years at 6 + mil? Grabovsky? I'm sure Vanek has already packed his bags for Ottawa. There are absolutely no better options out there right now than Michalek and Hemsky, none. Sorry, no options that are realistic.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Vandelay wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Meh, there are prospects who could put up the numbers Michalek put up this year easily.  Hoffman, Stone, Pageau, Da Costa.  Put them in a position to succeed like Michalek was in and by this point I bet they'd have better goal totals.

Michalek's knee looked done earlier in the season.  If it's back to 100%, then perhaps you take a 1 year chance, but you don't pay too much, that's for sure.

And there's the rub.  He has gotten better as the year goes on and he's played in every game this year.  He definitely doesn't look like the power forward he has in the past but maybe it's just conditioning and confidence.  Would you rather take the risk with Michalek at 3.5-4 or pay Stastny 6-7 (assuming he makes it to UFA)?

Or giving Moulson a 30 million dollar deal? 65 year old Jagr? Maybe Vrbata but he's on the same level as Michalek and will be more expensive. There are literally no better options than either Michalek or Hemsky on 3 or 4 years deals.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Are you saying that you're signing those two guys just because we have no one else in the system, ignoring free agency and trades? Because that is not a good reason to re-sign Michalek.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

I'm inboard with a 2 year deal for MM. He has stayed healthy and gotten better throughout the year. Hemsky will likely sign if offered a 3 x 4M contact before the end of the season. Now the decision on Spezza becomes difficult if you resign both veteran wingers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Vandelay wrote:

And there's the rub.  He has gotten better as the year goes on and he's played in every game this year.  He definitely doesn't look like the power forward he has in the past but maybe it's just conditioning and confidence.  Would you rather take the risk with Michalek at 3.5-4 or pay Stastny 6-7 (assuming he makes it to UFA)?

I like the way Michalek's played the last 20 ish games of the year, but I'm with most others, I'm very nervous about his health.  Multiple knee operations equates to a pretty high risk I'd imagine.

EDIT: I don't imagine, he was awful most of the year, what if we get that Michalek?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
I'm stating the facts.  No top 6 wingers signed beyond next year, that's a fact.  You plan for that kind of thing and despite what some fans hope and wish might happen Stone, Hoffman, Peumpel, Prince, and whoever else might be coming down the pipeline on the wing have not proven to be better players than any of the top 4 right now.  GM's don't make their moves based on hope and faith either.  

As for the 2.5 mil... Michalek isn't a 2.5 million dollar player and I have no idea where you grabbed that number from, he won't be making less than Greening, lol.  Michalek and Hemsky are both around 4-4.5 mil for sure on a 3 or 4 years deal for sure.  

As for trying for a UFA, who is out there that is better than Michalek right now that will come in at the same kind of price?  Pretty much none.  You going to give Moulson 5-6 years at 6 + mil?  Grabovsky? I'm sure Vanek has already packed his bags for Ottawa.  There are absolutely no better options out there right now than Michalek and Hemsky, none.  Sorry, no options that are realistic.

While you're stating facts, what about Michalek being a top-six player? Greening is not coming close to earning his *current* salary, let alone the $2.6M he will be earning next season. If his production doesn't improve then that will be a bad contract. And a second bad contract doesn't make the first one any better.

Why would Michalek want to stay here? Other than cold winters and higher tax rates, the only thing the Sens can give him is an extra year on the max-term contract, and he's not getting that from anyone. Now, the Sens' medical staff know better than any other team's management what's what, so if they say there's no reason he cannot return to his former glory then, by all means, sign away. But if not, then I don't think Michalek is an upgrade over several other players already under contract -- recall that Greening scored 17 as a rookie playing with Spezza.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:I'm inboard with a 2 year deal for MM.  He has stayed healthy and gotten better throughout the year.  Hemsky will likely sign if offered a 3 x 4M contact before the end of the season.  Now the decision on Spezza becomes difficult if you resign both veteran wingers.

Actually that could be the easiest decision. Spezza's salary is very agreeable to Melnyk, and if the chemistry continues to develop that could be a very good line going forward. Spezza is 30, so he's not going to get a long extension. I'd be OK with that -- *if* the chemistry is there.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:I'm inboard with a 2 year deal for MM.  He has stayed healthy and gotten better throughout the year.  Hemsky will likely sign if offered a 3 x 4M contact before the end of the season.  Now the decision on Spezza becomes difficult if you resign both veteran wingers.

Actually that could be the easiest decision. Spezza's salary is very agreeable to Melnyk, and if the chemistry continues to develop that could be a very good line going forward.  Spezza is 30, so he's not going to get a long extension.  I'd be OK with that -- *if* the chemistry is there.

If Spezza doesn't get a long term deal here, he'll 100% get it somewhere else.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Sens could offer him a 3 year deal. You really think with his injury issue, the second back surgery and a knee surgery someone is going to offer him a 5 year deal? If I was him I wouldn't leave town over a year (i.e. not for a 4 year deal over 3). But, who knows. In any case, I don't think anyone will offer him more than 4 given his age and health concerns.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:The Sens could offer him a 3 year deal.  You really think with his injury issue, the second back surgery and a knee surgery someone is going to offer him a 5 year deal?  If I was him I wouldn't leave town over a year (i.e. not for a 4 year deal over 3).  But, who knows.  In any case, I don't think anyone will offer him more than 4 given his age and health concerns.

So quickly.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Have we all lost our minds? Michalek isn't worth a 5 year deal, he'll be lucky to survive another full NHL season. I was as big a fan of MM as anyone, but you don't give him a long contract based on what he's done in the last 20 games without being certain that he's no longer a major health risk.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Spezza will get 5 years easily.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He'll get a 7 year deal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:He'll get a 7 year deal.

Doubt it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum