GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+17
Hobiesens
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
ddt
sandysensfan
wprager
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
NEELY
Hoags
PTFlea
shabbs
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That would be a shame for us if he left, but the philosophy seems to be in place to use the players this team has drafted and acquired as the core, so whoever comes in will likely tow the party line.

Dorion is a natural selection if Murray even steps down - which I doubt he will if Tim leaves - at least for a couple of years.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

With the "company line" you need to line up to it, with your *toes* at the line -- hence "toe the line".

If you disagree with the company line, I guess you can pick it up and *tow* it somewhere else.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:With the "company line" you need to line up to it, with your *toes* at the line -- hence "toe the line".  

If you disagree with the company line, I guess you can pick it up and *tow* it somewhere else.

I think the Spezzer meant "towing" a line pulling in the same direction with a group like in a tug of war, for instance. Glad I could clear up the confusion.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

still waiting for NEELY'S beer league avatar

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Fortunately I don't have a picture of me playing hockey as an adult.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I dunno guys, what makes you think Dorion is a good candidate to be the next GM? sure he's in charge of drafting but it takes more then those skills to GM. It might make sense to promote him to AGM at least to get him accustomed to how things are done at the top but i see no reason to hurry him up there. earlier in the season there was talk of an extension being set up for BM. i say you extend him 2-3 years and then we'll see. he does a fine job. maybe we'd like him to do certain things differently but he's been involved in some big trades and has tried other things. although i'm happy now that Nash didn't end up in ottawa i was happy that BM was on it.
Tim wants to go ok, why not. as long as he's not poaching our scouting department at the same time. we'll be good. we'll have a good line of communication in Buffalo. all the best to him. would of been interesting to see how he would of acted as GM here but we'll see how he fairs over there too.

Now Melnyk, sort out your finances asswipe.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:With the "company line" you need to line up to it, with your *toes* at the line -- hence "toe the line".  

I think the Spezzer meant "towing" a line pulling in the same direction with a group like in a tug of war, for instance. Glad I could clear up the confusion.

http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/45905/toe-the-party-line-or-tow-the-party-line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120313093024AAwX7Wu

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

http://grammartips.homestead.com/toetheline.html
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/45905/toe-the-party-line-or-tow-the-party-line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toe_the_line
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120313093024AAwX7Wu

I don't see anything there about The Spezzinator's interpretation. Looks like my possible explanation remains the most likely possibility.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:I dunno guys, what makes you think Dorion is a good candidate to be the next GM? sure he's in charge of drafting but it takes more then those skills to GM. It might make sense to promote him to AGM at least to get him accustomed to how things are done at the top but i see no reason to hurry him up there. earlier in the season there was talk of an extension being set up for BM. i say you extend him 2-3 years and then we'll see. he does a fine job. maybe we'd like him to do certain things differently but he's been involved in some big trades and has tried other things. although i'm happy now that Nash didn't end up in ottawa i was happy that BM was on it.
Tim wants to go ok, why not. as long as he's not poaching our scouting department at the same time. we'll be good. we'll have a good line of communication in Buffalo. all the best to him. would of been interesting to see how he would of acted as GM here but we'll see how he fairs over there too.

Too old to extend for 2-3 years IMO.

Murrays have never won anything anyway.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I dunno guys, what makes you think Dorion is a good candidate to be the next GM? sure he's in charge of drafting but it takes more then those skills to GM. It might make sense to promote him to AGM at least to get him accustomed to how things are done at the top but i see no reason to hurry him up there. earlier in the season there was talk of an extension being set up for BM. i say you extend him 2-3 years and then we'll see. he does a fine job. maybe we'd like him to do certain things differently but he's been involved in some big trades and has tried other things. although i'm happy now that Nash didn't end up in ottawa i was happy that BM was on it.

Too old to extend for 2-3 years IMO.

Murrays have never won anything anyway.

he's not playing the game, he's 71 and honestly doesn't seem too phased by that. If he feels he can do it then i have no problems with it. he's well surrounded. if his health was to deteriorate I think he'd step down.
he may have not won anything but he's built plenty. only one GM a year wins the cup. that leaves a lot of people out of that race. he's often been placed in charge of rebuilding teams and not many GM last from the rebuilding phase to the winning part.

I agree that i always thought we might see him stepdown at one point and take on an advising role behind Tim. honestly i think everyone thought that. a better scenario then Tim leaving and having no heir apparent.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He hasn't won as a coach, player or GM. I'm not saying he's not a good GM or that he hasn't build great bases, just that we need somebody else to go over the top.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I disagree with that.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:He hasn't won as a coach, player or GM. I'm not saying he's not a good GM or that he hasn't build great bases, just that we need somebody else to go over the top.
takes 3 teams to the finals... again, only one coach wins every year. i think it stands pretty tall when you take 3 different teams to the finals.

I think he's quite the winner, just the big prize eludes him.

as far as needing someone else to take us over the top... i dunno. his last trades to make this team better:bobby ryan, marc methot, kyle turris... I'll stand pat with BM thank you.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:I disagree with that.

How can you disagree with facts? You can disagree with the interpretation of those facts -- specifically, saying that because he has never won it proves that he is not worth re-signing.

By the way, wasn't Tim Murray the GM of Bingo when they won the Calder Cup?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:He hasn't won as a coach, player or GM. I'm not saying he's not a good GM or that he hasn't build great bases, just that we need somebody else to go over the top.
takes 3 teams to the finals... again, only one coach wins every year. i think it stands pretty tall when you take 3 different teams to the finals.

I think he's quite the winner, just the big prize eludes him.

as far as needing someone else to take us over the top... i dunno. his last trades to make this team better:bobby ryan, marc methot, kyle turris... I'll stand pat with BM thank you.

Again, he's going to be 71 soon.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd be fine and dandy with Murray signing on for another 3 years. Never won anything? Fine, now's the time. He's a great architect, so I guess I see the point of some of you guys saying he's built it but he needs someone else to finish it off, but seriously, the Ryan trade showed that he's perfectly capable of trading youth for a star.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Random thought: how lucky are we that Lazar fell to us @ 17?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Curious to know who's been the oldest GM ever in the NHL... and the oldest to win a Cup...

BMurr is getting up there in age for sure. Not sure how much longer he wants to continue. I recall him talking about retiring during the last round of contact negotiations, but that may just be him playing the game with the negotiations.

Some guys are builders, some guys are the "get it done" type and some are a hybrid of both.

Let's get it done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum