GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL 2013 Draft

+12
SensHulk
PTFlea
sandysensfan
spader
wprager
Hoags
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
NEELY
tim1_2
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 17]

211NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:As for Lazar... just a solid pick, sure fire NHLer and a Canadian kid.  Noesen and Lazar could be the toughest line in the NHL to play against one day playing the type of game they do.  Could very well be Noesen/Zibanejad/Lazar in a year.  That would be a tough line to stop each night.

Playoff line right there. Great skaters, physical and lethal shots.

212NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:The depth is insane. I don't think we're gonna sign any UFA bottom 6 players for the next decade.

Will any of them develop into that top-six left winger that we need right now, or that 1LC that we will need in 3-4 years? We're not going to get that from the UFA market as we just aren't a draw and Melnyk is not going to overpay (unless it's an aging Russian 1LC). And we certainly aren't going to get a top-line player in a "value for volume" trade.

Sooner or later we have to take chances on high-skillset players that aren't "just a solid pick, sure fire NHLer and a Canadian kid". Would need a bunch of them in the system because most will bust.

213NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:
NEELY wrote:As for Lazar... just a solid pick, sure fire NHLer and a Canadian kid.  Noesen and Lazar could be the toughest line in the NHL to play against one day playing the type of game they do.  Could very well be Noesen/Zibanejad/Lazar in a year.  That would be a tough line to stop each night.

Playoff line right there. Great skaters, physical and lethal shots.

You could say he has a lazar of a shot.

214NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:05 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

The Sens had a chance to trade down but refused because they liked Lazar. Good sign

215NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:10 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
LeKing wrote:The depth is insane. I don't think we're gonna sign any UFA bottom 6 players for the next decade.

Will any of them develop into that top-six left winger that we need right now, or that 1LC that we will need in 3-4 years?  We're not going to get that from the UFA market as we just aren't a draw and Melnyk is not going to overpay (unless it's an aging Russian 1LC).  And we certainly aren't going to get a top-line player in a "value for volume" trade.

Sooner or later we have to take chances on high-skillset players that aren't "just a solid pick, sure fire NHLer and a Canadian kid".  Would need a bunch of them in the system because most will bust.

We can emulate the Bruins system. They don't have any top line talent but they have like 8 guys that can play in the top 6. And they made the almighty Pens look average.
With Zibanejad, Turris, Silfverberg, Pageau, Michalek, Noesen, Conacher, Puempel, Stone, Lazar, Hoffman, Prince...with Greening I'm sure there will be enough to create a great top 9. 6 of them are already NHL-ers.
And Karlsson will always be the X factor.

216NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Bruins don't have any top-end talent? They got Chara as a UFA -- I'd consider him top-end talent. We can never attract players like that without tremendous overpayment (just from an income tax point of view).

They have Seguin, who was a 2nd overall pick -- that is where we got Spezza and haven't been close since. Rask is a goalie and you can almost never predict those (which is why none were taken in the 1st round this year). But we've got Lehner who (we hope) will be a top-end talent in a couple years.

The Bruins lucked out on a few players (Krejci and Bergeron) and that is another place where we can hope to emulate them. One of our many, many prospects may end up becoming a 30+ goal scorer. No guarantees, though, especially of getting *two* such players.

217NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

You don't go after top line potential guys in the later rounds... way easier to sign or trade for guys that are in that position because you have foot soldiers on the bottom 2 lines both in the NHL and AHL and coming from other places at well. Where teams get screwed is when they over pay for guys that need t fill spots on the bottom 2 lines, that kills your cap. Ottawa constantly has guys coming in to play those 3rd, 4th line mins and never has to worry about going out and spending 4 mil on a Bickell.

Loving what Ottawa is going, going with guys that have a chance to make it on the bottom 2 lines and not worrying about trying to find the Zetterbergs and Alfi's on the world. You may hit one without knowing it anyways.

218NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

that's exactly what they said they would do yesterday, go with home-run, boom or bust types on the later rounds

219NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:that's exactly what they said they would do yesterday, go with home-run, boom or bust types on the later rounds

Kid like Dunn or Harpur are not boom or bust. Those are guys that if they make it are probably going to be playing near the bottom of the lineup, guys that are projects and they feel they can mold into NHLers. Lindberg I don't know enough about or anything for that matter but by the sounds of it he seems like a bottom 6 guy as well.

Don't see the home run type pick outside of Hogberg and to a lesser extent Lazar.

220NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:29 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i'm just going off what they specifically said

Harpur is a home run type pick for sure

221NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:32 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:i'm just going off what they specifically said

They literally said they expect him to be a 5-7 type D man. He doesn't have the offense or skillset to be a home run pick. Maybe an Andy Sutton type guy but that's it.

222NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Ev wrote:i'm just going off what they specifically said

They literally said they expect him to be a 5-7 type D man.  He doesn't have the offense or skillset to be a home run pick.  Maybe an Andy Sutton type guy but that's it.

Whatever. A guy like Dunn is a home run if he becomes a Marchand.

most likely none of these kids make it so it's a moot point.

223NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:The Bruins don't have any top-end talent?  They got Chara as a UFA -- I'd consider him top-end talent.  We can never attract players like that without tremendous overpayment (just from an income tax point of view).

They have Seguin, who was a 2nd overall pick -- that is where we got Spezza and haven't been close since.  Rask is a goalie and you can almost never predict those  (which is why none were taken in the 1st round this year).  But we've got Lehner who (we hope) will be a top-end talent in a couple years.

The Bruins lucked out on a few players (Krejci and Bergeron) and that is another place where we can hope to emulate them.  One of our many, many prospects may end up becoming a 30+ goal scorer.  No guarantees, though, especially of getting *two* such players.

Facepalm Top line talent, not top-end talent. THe argument was about forwards. Do you see any PPG forward on that roster?

224NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Kind like Dunn will probably make it at some point because of his work ethic but apparently he is a bit of a moron off the ice so that will need to get under control. If I had to take a guess of who will actually make it... Lazar, Hogberg (project), and Dunn just based on where they could possibly fit. Don't know anything about Lindberg and Harpur needs to keep progressing... any kind of stall in development and he will be on the outside looking in soon.

225NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Still surprised Shinkaruk, consensus top 10 pick, fell into the late 20's.
Dude must really suck defensively.

226NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:Still surprised Shinkaruk, consensus top 10 pick, fell into the late 20's.
Dude must really suck defensively.

He sounds like a total prick too.

227NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah, doesn't sound like he is well liked by teams who did their homework.

228NHL 2013 Draft - Page 15 Empty Re: NHL 2013 Draft Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:53 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:
wprager wrote:The Bruins don't have any top-end talent?  They got Chara as a UFA -- I'd consider him top-end talent.  We can never attract players like that without tremendous overpayment (just from an income tax point of view).

They have Seguin, who was a 2nd overall pick -- that is where we got Spezza and haven't been close since.  Rask is a goalie and you can almost never predict those  (which is why none were taken in the 1st round this year).  But we've got Lehner who (we hope) will be a top-end talent in a couple years.

The Bruins lucked out on a few players (Krejci and Bergeron) and that is another place where we can hope to emulate them.  One of our many, many prospects may end up becoming a 30+ goal scorer.  No guarantees, though, especially of getting *two* such players.

Facepalm Top line talent, not top-end talent. THe argument was about forwards. Do you see any PPG forward on that roster?

Krejci: 26 points in 22 games
Horton/Lucic: 19 points in 22 games (pretty close)

And the Bruins are well known to not score a lot and rely on defensive play, so I don't see why you thought the discussion was about forwards, only.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum