GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

In depth look at the draft

+6
asq2
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
Acrobat
PKC
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1In depth look at the draft Empty In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:50 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Sportsnet has a massive article up with commentary on tons of players in the 2009 draft. I figured this topic could be used to not only discuss the first round pick(s) the Senators would like to make, but also where other guys on the board project to go, who the Senators might pick in the second round, and what kind of players we should be looking at.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/16/2009nhl_draft_scouting_report_euro_skaters/

I'll get the discussion started.

The Senators will be picking in the 39 and 46 slot. At the 39 slot, I'd really like to see us take Toni Rajala if he's still around. And at 46 we could try to snatch either Panik, Tatar or O'Reilly.

2In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:53 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Oh, I also really like what the scout had to say about Oliver Ekman-Larsson:

"He's one of those guys
that's just fun to watch and your jaw just drops," Giese said. "His
skating, his skill, his smarts - it's all 10 out of 10 for me. He needs
to be stronger and continue to develop and you might have yourself a
very special player. He's probably the only defenceman that I saw live
this year that can manipulate the defence to his liking. It just looks
like he's playing with them. When he's on his game he's special."

3In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:Oh, I also really like what the scout had to say about Oliver Ekman-Larsson:

"He's one of those guys

We want have to get him...

4In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:50 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
PKC wrote:Oh, I also really like what the scout had to say about Oliver Ekman-Larsson:

"He's one of those guys

got any favours you can pull to make sure Brian Murray picks OEL then? stuff like this gets known amongst other GM's and Murray won't get him.

5In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:17 pm

PKC wrote:Sportsnet has a massive article up with commentary on tons of players in the 2009 draft. I figured this topic could be used to not only discuss the first round pick(s) the Senators would like to make, but also where other guys on the board project to go, who the Senators might pick in the second round, and what kind of players we should be looking at.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/16/2009nhl_draft_scouting_report_euro_skaters/

I'll get the discussion started.

The Senators will be picking in the 39 and 46 slot. At the 39 slot, I'd really like to see us take Toni Rajala if he's still around. And at 46 we could try to snatch either Panik, Tatar or O'Reilly.

Don't know much about Rajala, but the other 3 you mentioned would be really nice. I've wanted O'Reilly for months now. I hope he slips that far.

6In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

got any favours you can pull to make sure Brian Murray picks OEL then? stuff like this gets known amongst other GM's and Murray won't get him.

Murray seems to have his eye on someone later in the first, but I'll give him/his staff a call and let them know what I think...

I'm sure I can make them see things my way... :^^^^:

7In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:16 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

Murray seems to have his eye on someone later in the first, but I'll give him/his staff a call and let them know what I think...

I'm sure I can make them see things my way... :^^^^:

I'm almost 1000% sure the guy the Sens are looking at in the late first round range is Calvin de Haan.

8In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Don't really know much about him. What's he got that piques your interest?

9In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Tatar might go early. The only thing I see wrong with him is his size. That might be a risk a team will be willing to take.

10In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:46 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:I think Tatar might go early. The only thing I see wrong with him is his size. That might be a risk a team will be willing to take.

How early though? Isn't he projected in the early 2nd round?

11In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:14 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I like Rajala better.

OEL sounds like Jbo.

12In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Lucky Day wrote:Don't really know much about him. What's he got that piques your interest?

Well, his skill level has increased at a meteoric pace. He was anonymous for the OHL draft until the Oshawa Generals scouts, the team that drafted him, asked for his name to be included in the eligibility list.

He was 7th in the OHL in defensemen scoring as a rookie and finished second in Oshawa in team scoring. Not too bad for a guy no one had ever heard of before last season.

According to scouting reports, his puck skills are at an elite level, and he has a knack for being on the ice almost every time his team scores, clearly an indication of his seemingly massive offensive abilities.

His skills have improved so dramatically that Hockey Canada is absolutely in love with him according to the Sportsnet report.

13In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:16 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:I like Rajala better.

OEL sounds like Jbo.

He sounds a lot like Scott Niedermayer.

14In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

There's a lot of nice talent to be had in the second round. I like Klingberg a lot, for one.

As for 9th pick, I wouldn't necessarily give up a tonne to move. You're guaranteed one of Tavares, Hedman, MPS, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, Cowen, OEL or Kulikov.

Any of those would be great picks for this organization.

15In depth look at the draft Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
marakh wrote:I like Rajala better.

OEL sounds like Jbo.

He sounds a lot like Scott Niedermayer.

The comparison seems to be Lidstrom, and not just because he's Swedish.

I'd say the Scott Niedermayer-type in this draft is John Moore.

Obviously, though, this is a comparison style-wise and not calibre-wise.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum