GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

In depth look at the draft

+6
asq2
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
Acrobat
PKC
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:16 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:I like Rajala better.

OEL sounds like Jbo.

He sounds a lot like Scott Niedermayer.

17In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

There's a lot of nice talent to be had in the second round. I like Klingberg a lot, for one.

As for 9th pick, I wouldn't necessarily give up a tonne to move. You're guaranteed one of Tavares, Hedman, MPS, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, Cowen, OEL or Kulikov.

Any of those would be great picks for this organization.

18In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:18 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:

OEL sounds like Jbo.

The comparison seems to be Lidstrom, and not just because he's Swedish.

I'd say the Scott Niedermayer-type in this draft is John Moore.

Obviously, though, this is a comparison style-wise and not calibre-wise.

19In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:There's a lot of nice talent to be had in the second round. I like Klingberg a lot, for one.

As for 9th pick, I wouldn't necessarily give up a tonne to move. You're guaranteed one of Tavares, Hedman, MPS, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, Cowen, OEL or Kulikov.

Any of those would be great picks for this organization.

Klingberg is an awesome looking prospect. Bah...I want him and O'Reilly, but that's improbable. :drooling:

20In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:15 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:

OEL sounds like Jbo.

Not enough offensive rushes I would say.

21In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:17 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
Lucky Day wrote:Don't really know much about him. What's he got that piques your interest?

Well, his skill level has increased at a meteoric pace. He was anonymous for the OHL draft until the Oshawa Generals scouts, the team that drafted him, asked for his name to be included in the eligibility list.

He was 7th in the OHL in defensemen scoring as a rookie and finished second in Oshawa in team scoring. Not too bad for a guy no one had ever heard of before last season.

According to scouting reports, his puck skills are at an elite level, and he has a knack for being on the ice almost every time his team scores, clearly an indication of his seemingly massive offensive abilities.

His skills have improved so dramatically that Hockey Canada is absolutely in love with him according to the Sportsnet report.

That sounds a lot like a top 15 overall, why is he late 1st?

22In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:02 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
PKC wrote:
Lucky Day wrote:Don't really know much about him. What's he got that piques your interest?

Well, his skill level has increased at a meteoric pace. He was anonymous for the OHL draft until the Oshawa Generals scouts, the team that drafted him, asked for his name to be included in the eligibility list.

He was 7th in the OHL in defensemen scoring as a rookie and finished second in Oshawa in team scoring. Not too bad for a guy no one had ever heard of before last season.

According to scouting reports, his puck skills are at an elite level, and he has a knack for being on the ice almost every time his team scores, clearly an indication of his seemingly massive offensive abilities.

His skills have improved so dramatically that Hockey Canada is absolutely in love with him according to the Sportsnet report.

That sounds a lot like a top 15 overall, why is he late 1st?

Because he was virtually anonymous until about midway through this season. And the OHL is filled with budding talent to keep an eye on: Tavares, Hall, Ellis, Duchene, Kadri, etc...so it's easy for a guy like de Haan to just slip through the cracks without anyone taking notice.

I think if he hadn't been so unheard of until he started turning heads in Oshawa this year, he could potentially have been in the top 10.

23In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:30 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
PKC wrote:Oh, I also really like what the scout had to say about Oliver Ekman-Larsson:

"He's one of those guys
that's just fun to watch and your jaw just drops," Giese said. "His
skating, his skill, his smarts - it's all 10 out of 10 for me. He needs
to be stronger and continue to develop and you might have yourself a
very special player. He's probably the only defenceman that I saw live
this year that can manipulate the defence to his liking. It just looks
like he's playing with them. When he's on his game he's special."

We want have to get him...

got any favours you can pull to make sure Brian Murray picks OEL then? stuff like this gets known amongst other GM's and Murray won't get him.

Murray seems to have his eye on someone later in the first, but I'll give him/his staff a call and let them know what I think...

I'm sure I can make them see things my way... :^^^^:

I have no doubt in my mind you can get it done Laughing3 Sarcasm

24In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
PKC wrote:Oh, I also really like what the scout had to say about Oliver Ekman-Larsson:

"He's one of those guys

got any favours you can pull to make sure Brian Murray picks OEL then? stuff like this gets known amongst other GM's and Murray won't get him.

Murray seems to have his eye on someone later in the first, but I'll give him/his staff a call and let them know what I think...

Do not doubt, young Jedi...

The Force works in mysterious .... oh, n/m.

I'm going golfing instead.

25In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:56 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

Take this with you when you go golfing, the force will be strong with you.

In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Star_w10

26In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

I can just hear Yoda now...

"Fly, ball should. Fly, club should not."

"Trees, you must avoid. Young Jedi is spending much time in forest. And sand. And water."

"Your game, golf is not".

"Give up, Jedis must not do. Except this time."

27In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:12 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

I can just hear Yoda now...

"Fly, ball should. Fly, club should not."

"Trees, you must avoid. Young Jedi is spending much time in forest. And sand. And water."

"Your game, golf is not".

"Give up, Jedis must not do. Except this time."

that might cause Yoda to get a 3 wood in the head Laughing3

28In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That is one long arse quote string you guys have going there.

- Unknown Author

29In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:15 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

I'm quite confident that if we stay at 9 and OEL reaches us, Murray will take him.
A) He fits in with the Red Wings' skill and the Ducks' size, and arguably the Pens' championship as well. Murray seems to make decisions based on the latest Cup-winner.
B) Murray likes players who rise as the draft nears. No one has risen faster than OEL.
C) Murray mentioned that he/his scouts had seen in Europe a defenceman that was "less ready" than Hedman but could ultimately end up being better. I'm quite confident that's OEL, especially since Kulikov plays in North America already.

As I've said, if we want one of them, we're guaranteed one of Hedman, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, MPS, Cowen, OEL or Kulikov even if we don't do anything at the draft. cool)

30In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:That is one long arse quote string you guys have going there.

I was going to add to it, but I figured a comment involving "wood" and "head" was beneath our usual standards...

Or is it?

31In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:19 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:That is one long arse quote string you guys have going there.

I was going to add to it, but I figured a comment involving "wood" and "head" was beneath our usual standards...

Or is it?

not for this group, well speaking for myself anyway, I won't speak for others, that gets me in trouble. BagoverHead

32In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:51 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

"He's one of those guys

I'm quite confident that if we stay at 9 and OEL reaches us, Murray will take him.
A) He fits in with the Red Wings' skill and the Ducks' size, and arguably the Pens' championship as well. Murray seems to make decisions based on the latest Cup-winner.
B) Murray likes players who rise as the draft nears. No one has risen faster than OEL.
C) Murray mentioned that he/his scouts had seen in Europe a defenceman that was "less ready" than Hedman but could ultimately end up being better. I'm quite confident that's OEL, especially since Kulikov plays in North America already.

As I've said, if we want one of them, we're guaranteed one of Hedman, Tavares, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, MPS, Cowen, OEL or Kulikov even if we don't do anything at the draft. cool)

TSN's annual survey of 10 NHL scouts has the top ten looking like this:

Tavares
Hedman
Duchene
Kane
Schenn
OED
Cowan
Kadri
Kulikov
MPS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282565

Which I can't see happening. I'd be livid if we passed up MPS. This is, bye the bye, one of many mock drafts in which I've seen Kadri climb significantly, and MPS slip out of the top 8 or so.

33In depth look at the draft - Page 2 Empty Re: In depth look at the draft Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

By the way the #4-10 spots keep shuffling, it is fairly clear that there is little consensus as to who is ranked where (other than in general terms). This bodes well, as it makes it more likely that Ottawa will be left with at least one good player to pick.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum