GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch

+3
NEELY
Ev
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wiercioch vs Wideman

Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch - Page 2 Vote_lcap270%Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 70% [ 7 ]
Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch - Page 2 Vote_lcap230%Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I did do up a profile on Wideman for DobberProspects.com, and gave him a C- upside, in case you were wondering Wink

You could post a thread with a link on that here if you want more readers.

that's ok, they're just profiles for information, not really articles, and I don't get credit for hits or anything like that Wink thanks though. Wideman one not up yet, but I did do some other Sens if you're interested in fantasy prospects and such: http://prospects.dobbersports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=41&Itemid=131

Yeah, I'll read those.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:it's Wiercioch and it isn't close at the moment. On another level compared to Wideman and has two pro years under him already
\

Yah? What's he done?

I don't really feel like arguing about two prospects who I like who are both on our team, but I don't see how you can argue that Wiercioch isn't the much better/advanced prospect at this point in time. 2nd round pick, already has some NHL experience and 2 years in the AHL. Better producer in college, was going to be on Canada's world junior team, much better size, good skater. You're the one who said he'd have just as much hype as Justin Schult if he was a UFA back then...

I think his potential is off the charts, but it's just that potential. Right now, they are both starting the year in the AHL and if Wiercoich isn't a force this year in the AHL he never will be. Not sure who the better prospect is but I think it's even and I'll always go with the righty.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:it's Wiercioch and it isn't close at the moment. On another level compared to Wideman and has two pro years under him already
\

Yah? What's he done?

I don't really feel like arguing about two prospects who I like who are both on our team, but I don't see how you can argue that Wiercioch isn't the much better/advanced prospect at this point in time. 2nd round pick, already has some NHL experience and 2 years in the AHL. Better producer in college, was going to be on Canada's world junior team, much better size, good skater. You're the one who said he'd have just as much hype as Justin Schult if he was a UFA back then...

I think his potential is off the charts, but it's just that potential. Right now, they are both starting the year in the AHL and if Wiercoich isn't a force this year in the AHL he never will be. Not sure who the better prospect is but I think it's even and I'll always go with the righty.

if it's even I'm taking the 6'4" guy over the 5'10" guy, especially for d-men.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

if it's even I'm taking the 6'4" guy over the 5'10" guy, especially for d-men

Most over rated stat/asset for D men. Also, Wiercoich is stil a stick so being 6'4 doesn't mean a whole lot. Either way, I love Wiercoich's protential because IMO he could be a franchise D man if everything goes right... but he hasn't done a whole lot in his pro career to this point. Wideman I loved when I saw him play at Miami before the Sens drafted him and reminded me of Boyle right then.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

Most over rated stat/asset for D men. Also, Wiercoich is stil a stick so being 6'4 doesn't mean a whole lot. Either way, I love Wiercoich's protential because IMO he could be a franchise D man if everything goes right... but he hasn't done a whole lot in his pro career to this point. Wideman I loved when I saw him play at Miami before the Sens drafted him and reminded me of Boyle right then.

It's only overrated if somebody says a 5'10" D can't make it because he's 5'10". I don't care about what his size is if he's a good player. But in this case if we're saying that everything is equal between the two then I'm picking the guy with 5 inches over the other guy. Why wouldn't I? It's like saying if there are two Erik Karlssons and one is 5'11" one is 6'5", which one would I take? Easy call.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, Neely, wasn't it you who said (a few times) that you can't teach size?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

It's only overrated if somebody says a 5'10" D can't make it because he's 5'10". I don't care about what his size is if he's a good player. But in this case if we're saying that everything is equal between the two then I'm picking the guy with 5 inches over the other guy. Why wouldn't I? It's like saying if there are two Erik Karlssons and one is 5'11" one is 6'5", which one would I take? Easy call.

What's the difference in weight between Wideman and Wiercoich? I'm guessing not a ton. Point I am making is he's a stick and that actually hurts him in terms of his hieght.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Hey, Neely, wasn't it you who said (a few times) that you can't teach size?

You can't but he's not big, he's tall.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

What's the difference in weight between Wideman and Wiercoich? I'm guessing not a ton. Point I am making is he's a stick and that actually hurts him in terms of his hieght.

Wideman - 181, Wiercioch - 200. I agree with what you're saying though, but I still take Wiercioch and I think the Sens hold him in much higher regard at this point. He is a player who is on the cusp of NHL duty and should outscore Wideman next year. If he doesn't, well that's another story and my opinion of him would lessen.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The discussion about Wiercioch started the moment the Sens drafted him. He's been 200 for a couple years now. He will eventually add a few more pounds (I remember Patrice Brisebois being quite skinny early on, he filled out). You can out on a bit of weight, you cannot put on a few inches. That's what you meant when you said you can't teach size.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:The discussion about Wiercioch started the moment the Sens drafted him. He's been 200 for a couple years now. He will eventually add a few more pounds (I remember Patrice Brisebois being quite skinny early on, he filled out). You can out on a bit of weight, you cannot put on a few inches. That's what you meant when you said you can't teach size.

Yah you can put on wieght, as of right now Wiercoich hasn't. Some players actually can't keep weight on especially through an entire hockey season. Smaller guys don't need the weight behind them to be effective.

Anyways, my point here is Wiercoich at this point isn't "big". I like Wideman a little better because he can skate a little better and I am not sure Wiercoich hits his potential as large as it is.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Looks like Wiercoich better impress soon before he gets passed by too many other prospects.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

6 votes? Facepalm Probably won't continue the 'battles' if that's all the votes we'll get.

Although, it doesn't take long and it's interesting from time to time to see people's reactions to certain prospects.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Make it 7. There you go. Now it's worth it.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I thought this was really interesting. Who cares how many vote? I'm in it for the arguments between N4L and Ev.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've seen Wiercioch; I've not seen Wideman. Wiercioch may be skinny but he will fill out a bit; Wideman is just small. Unless he can skate like Karlsson I don't like his chances. I've seen Wiercioch skate up-close and he is very good skating with the puck. Who else do we have as a puck-mover on the left side?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:I've seen Wiercioch; I've not seen Wideman. Wiercioch may be skinny but he will fill out a bit; Wideman is just small. Unless he can skate like Karlsson I don't like his chances. I've seen Wiercioch skate up-close and he is very good skating with the puck. Who else do we have as a puck-mover on the left side?

He plays like Dan Boyle. No way do I think he ever gets to that level but that's how he plays the game.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:I've seen Wiercioch; I've not seen Wideman. Wiercioch may be skinny but he will fill out a bit; Wideman is just small. Unless he can skate like Karlsson I don't like his chances. I've seen Wiercioch skate up-close and he is very good skating with the puck. Who else do we have as a puck-mover on the left side?

He plays like Dan Boyle. No way do I think he ever gets to that level but that's how he plays the game.

without the goal scoring

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum