GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch

+3
NEELY
Ev
PTFlea
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wiercioch vs Wideman

Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch Vote_lcap270%Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch Vote_rcap2 70% [ 7 ]
Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch Vote_lcap230%Prospect Battle: Round 1: Wideman vs Wiercioch Vote_rcap2 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Battle:
Two prospects, both at the same position, only one can advance on.

The Question:
Who will have the better pro year this year?

The Tale of the Tape:

Patrick Wiercioch - Big, relatively mobile rearguard had a better season in his second year of pro. He was pro-rated to get 29 before a vicious neck injury side lined him. Has worked on getting bigger and stronger one on one and could be primed for a better year defensively (-14 last year and his first pro season) and offensively. However, Wiercioch will see competition from a number of AHL players - most noticeably Wideman, Benoit, Ekford and maybe even Gryba and Claesson - not only for playing time, but also for time on the PP. It's time for Patrick to step up, or risk being buried behind many other talented D-men.

Chris Wideman - an underrated puck-moving D-man fresh from 4 years at Miami University, the knock on Wideman is that he's a smaller player, just 5'10", 170 last weighed, but there is skill there and Wideman will have a nice opportunity to showcase it for Binghamton this season. Players can struggle with the speed difference coming from the NCAA or CHL to the pros, but Wideman might be able to use his excellent stick checking skills and good shiftyness to buck that trend. Luke Richardson may limit Wideman's 5 on 5 time on ice at the beginning of the season until he's assessed how strong Wideman is versus the bigger and faster skaters in the AHL, but you can count on him being used in power player situations - especially considering he was known for an excellent, heavy shot in Miami.

So Round 1 begins, who will have the better season in terms of points next year, Wiercioch or Wideman?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

it's Wiercioch and it isn't close at the moment. On another level compared to Wideman and has two pro years under him already

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:it's Wiercioch and it isn't close at the moment. On another level compared to Wideman and has two pro years under him already

By definition of this admittedly time wasting game, you think Wiercioch will have a better year than Wideman points-wise, and it won't be close?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:it's Wiercioch and it isn't close at the moment. On another level compared to Wideman and has two pro years under him already

By definition of this admittedly time wasting game, you think Wiercioch will have a better year than Wideman points-wise, and it won't be close?

Basically. Wiercioch should be their #1 d-man if he doesn't make Ottawa. Will be used in all situations. Not a knock on Wideman though, I i like his upside for assists at least.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Basically. Wiercioch should be their #1 d-man if he doesn't make Ottawa. Will be used in all situations. Not a knock on Wideman though, I i like his upside for assists at least.

Interesting.

I basically did this prospect battle - and the more to come - for you and the others here who have interesting takes on rookies (and also for an aversion to the boredom that is August and September), so I thought you'd have a take for sure, although I guessed wrong on who you'd choose.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I did do up a profile on Wideman for DobberProspects.com, and gave him a C- upside, in case you were wondering Wink

From what I gather, both are probably going to be assist heavy, but it looks like Wiercioch has more upside to be the better goal scorer based on their past productions. I think Richardson will help Wiercioch a lot, and I like his size better.

There will be an adjustment period for Wideman and he will be behind Benoit, who is an RD, so the PP time probably won't be there for him whereas Wiercioch is all but guaranteed 1st PP time and 1st pairing minutes, I'd say.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Also, Wiericioch had a nice little stretch of points after he was injured, and it looked like he was getting it all together. Pointless in April though. I just think Wiercioch is going to be a true pro come October whereas Wideman will be just the college rook. PW has been working hard this offseason.

and remember, PW wasn't even invited to the development camp because they said he is already an established pro

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, the pro experience could do it for Wiercioch. I think there's a chance for Wideman to surprise - particularly if they're going for a similar 'puck possession' system to MacLean's in Bingo, but it'll be interesting to track these two.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:I did do up a profile on Wideman for DobberProspects.com, and gave him a C- upside, in case you were wondering Wink

You could post a thread with a link on that here if you want more readers.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

\

Yah? What's he done?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I did do up a profile on Wideman for DobberProspects.com, and gave him a C- upside, in case you were wondering Wink

that's ok, they're just profiles for information, not really articles, and I don't get credit for hits or anything like that Wink thanks though. Wideman one not up yet, but I did do some other Sens if you're interested in fantasy prospects and such: http://prospects.dobbersports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=41&Itemid=131

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

I don't really feel like arguing about two prospects who I like who are both on our team, but I don't see how you can argue that Wiercioch isn't the much better/advanced prospect at this point in time. 2nd round pick, already has some NHL experience and 2 years in the AHL. Better producer in college, was going to be on Canada's world junior team, much better size, good skater. You're the one who said he'd have just as much hype as Justin Schult if he was a UFA back then...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

that's ok, they're just profiles for information, not really articles, and I don't get credit for hits or anything like that Wink thanks though. Wideman one not up yet, but I did do some other Sens if you're interested in fantasy prospects and such: http://prospects.dobbersports.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=41&Itemid=131

Yeah, I'll read those.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

I don't really feel like arguing about two prospects who I like who are both on our team, but I don't see how you can argue that Wiercioch isn't the much better/advanced prospect at this point in time. 2nd round pick, already has some NHL experience and 2 years in the AHL. Better producer in college, was going to be on Canada's world junior team, much better size, good skater. You're the one who said he'd have just as much hype as Justin Schult if he was a UFA back then...

I think his potential is off the charts, but it's just that potential. Right now, they are both starting the year in the AHL and if Wiercoich isn't a force this year in the AHL he never will be. Not sure who the better prospect is but I think it's even and I'll always go with the righty.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
\

Yah? What's he done?

I think his potential is off the charts, but it's just that potential. Right now, they are both starting the year in the AHL and if Wiercoich isn't a force this year in the AHL he never will be. Not sure who the better prospect is but I think it's even and I'll always go with the righty.

if it's even I'm taking the 6'4" guy over the 5'10" guy, especially for d-men.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum