GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2012 NHL Draft

+24
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
sens4win
rooneypoo
SensHulk
SensGirl11
Amnesia021
tim1_2
sandysensfan
cash
shabbs
spader
Flo The Action
ddt
PTFlea
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
wprager
stempniaksen
Ev
LeCaptain
Riprock
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 67]

2412012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Edmonton is just spinning their wheels with all the great picks they made in recent years. This might be the year they decide they have to add an established player using the coveted #1.

Only players I consider worthy of trading the #1 overall for would be:

Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Myers, maybe Bogosian, Erik Johnson (?)... you get the idea. Would have to be an impact player, young, with huge upside.

The problem is, nobody wants to give that up.

I think that's one scenario (for the record, I think any of those last three on your list could be had for the right price, and that that 1st would probably be it). Another would be moving downward in the draft, getting a good young D from one of the other top 5 teams, and then snagging another D with that other team's pick -- i.e., coming out of the draft with two young, potentially elite D.

TOR's pick + Gardiner / Schenn
NYI's pick + Hamonic / De Haan

Etc., etc.

I'm just spitballing here. I'm sure there are other, better potential fits out there.

Seems like massive overpayment to me though. With the 5th overall pick, Burke is going to get a fine player, can't see him giving all that up for one guy.

2422012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Also, who said anything about trading the 1st rounder outright? Most of this was based on flipping the pick with someone in the top 5. It took Quebec trading Lindros for "lesser players" to actually turn the corner and oh yah, they won 2 cups.

Philly as of yet has not since that happened.

2432012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Edmonton is just spinning their wheels with all the great picks they made in recent years. This might be the year they decide they have to add an established player using the coveted #1.

Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Myers, maybe Bogosian, Erik Johnson (?)... you get the idea. Would have to be an impact player, young, with huge upside.

I think that's one scenario (for the record, I think any of those last three on your list could be had for the right price, and that that 1st would probably be it). Another would be moving downward in the draft, getting a good young D from one of the other top 5 teams, and then snagging another D with that other team's pick -- i.e., coming out of the draft with two young, potentially elite D.

Etc., etc.

I'm just spitballing here. I'm sure there are other, better potential fits out there.

Seems like massive overpayment to me though. With the 5th overall pick, Burke is going to get a fine player, can't see him giving all that up for one guy.

Yah, those 5th overalls are game changers. Nothing like drafting #5 to turn the fortunes of your franchise around.

2442012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Riprock wrote:

Etc., etc.

Again, value is relative and negotiable, not absolute and set. Burke is under fire, needs to import talent, and is dealing with the legacy of missing out on Seguin and Hamilton. That team, and that GM, is desperate to be seen to be bringing about change.

Btw: I don't think it would be the right move for TOR, but that's neither here nor there. Kessel was the wrong move, for that team at that time, too.

2452012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:30 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Torres
Chistov
Whitney
Vanek
Wheeler
Price
Kessel
Alzner
L.Schenn
B.Schenn
Niederider
Strome

That's the #5 pick since 2000. I count 3, MAYBE 4 guys that are worth the "value" of a #5 pick as seen by a lot of people. Even then Price was an off the board pick at the time, looking like he should have been #2.

The 5th pick is nice to have but the chances of that player becoming anything more than a 3rd liner or a 3, 4 D man is less than 50%. So yah, Burke will get an NHLer for sure, he won't be getting a super star unless everything goes right.

2462012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Looking back on the #6 pick, better players come out of that spot then the 5th spot ten fold. Point being is after 1 and 2, the draft is unpredictable but at least with the 3 and 4 pick you still have a decent shot at a player you really want. 5 to 10 are guys that are good but nothing close to being a sure thing.

Saying "you will get a fine player at #5" with any kind of certainty is ignoring everything that is factual.

2472012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Also, who said anything about trading the 1st rounder outright? Most of this was based on flipping the pick with someone in the top 5. It took Quebec trading Lindros for "lesser players" to actually turn the corner and oh yah, they won 2 cups.

I mentioned it. They need a stud D or a stud G. If they can get Schneider + D-man for the 1st + piece, I think they think about it.

2482012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:35 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Also, who said anything about trading the 1st rounder outright? Most of this was based on flipping the pick with someone in the top 5. It took Quebec trading Lindros for "lesser players" to actually turn the corner and oh yah, they won 2 cups.

I mentioned it. They need a stud D or a stud G. If they can get Schneider + D-man for the 1st + piece, I think they think about it.

Don't think Vancouver would dare dream of sending him to Edmonton. Either way, something along those lines yes.

2492012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Don't think Vancouver would dare dream of sending him to Edmonton. Either way, something along those lines yes.

Fair, but remember, they'd be getting Yakupov, so it's not like it's a free trade.

2502012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I don't think any goaltender alone is worth the 1st over all but they can probably get a better deal than that. Don't think they need to give up their 1st for a goaltender in all honesty. Bishop was had for a 2nd.

That's the other thing with the Oilers, they should be wheeling and dealing for players they like on other teams at this point. Whether it's a Jake Allen, or Enroth, or w/e, they need to take a shot at fixing something long term.

2512012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not alone, there'd be another big piece going to Edmonton and another piece going to Vancouver. A D-man of sort, but I have no idea who Vancouver would let go. Edler would be nice, but lol, that's not likely. Edler + something for the 1st overall, or Schneider + something for 1st.

Besides, Schneider's THE guy out there. He's been farmed, he's had spot duty and succeeded well. He's the player they need.

2522012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Not alone, there'd be another big piece going to Edmonton and another piece going to Vancouver. A D-man of sort, but I have no idea who Vancouver would let go. Edler would be nice, but lol, that's not likely. Edler + something for the 1st overall, or Schneider + something for 1st.

Besides, Schneider's THE guy out there. He's been farmed, he's had spot duty and succeeded well. He's the player they need.

Vancouver gets bounced in round 1 he won't be leaving Vancouver, some other goalie will be.

2532012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Not alone, there'd be another big piece going to Edmonton and another piece going to Vancouver. A D-man of sort, but I have no idea who Vancouver would let go. Edler would be nice, but lol, that's not likely. Edler + something for the 1st overall, or Schneider + something for 1st.

Vancouver gets bounced in round 1 he won't be leaving Vancouver, some other goalie will be.

Ha, him and his decade long contract at almost 6 million a year? Only one man is dumb enough to do that, will he?

2012 NHL Draft - Page 17 230px-Brian_Burke

2542012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Riprock wrote:

WTF?
yeah if the 1st would be offered for any of those 2 players they'd be in a oilers uniform in seconds. they'd probably offer another piece to that to get that 1st.

2552012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Quick mock. I'm not playing it safe:

2012 NHL Draft - Page 17 23idqqe

My options for Ottawa: Gaunce, Koekkoek, Maatta and the Swedish wingers.

2562012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Quick mock. I'm not playing it safe:

the word around the montreal media and such is montreal drafts forsberg or grigo....

2572012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Quick mock. I'm not playing it safe:

the word around the montreal media and such is montreal drafts forsberg or grigo....

Media never knows a thing, really. It's all speculation. This is just a guess.

2582012 NHL Draft - Page 17 Empty Re: 2012 NHL Draft Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm probably too low on Forsberg though lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum