GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NETFLIX streaming

+9
Hoags
spader
Flo The Action
tim1_2
The Silfer Server
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1NETFLIX streaming  Empty NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, the TV season had come to an end a while back, and now the NHL season has ended, too. Nothing left to watch. So I'm really going to have to give this Netflix 30 day free trial a chance. In my case 'll be going through my PS3, but I think the discussion can apply to whatever other platforms are supported.

Question #1:
I've been to their website and browsed the selections. Is that *really* all there is or are they adding new stuff all the time and not updating their website enough?
http://ca.netflix.com/BrowseSelection?fcld=true

Question #2:
Is it streaming only, or can you store something to your hard drive? Reason I'm asking is if we (wife and I) watch something and the kids (well, at least the older ones) want to later watch the same, I'd prefer *not* to have to download the content twice. Maybe there are tricks? For example, I'm sure that at least some of it is buffered, and if you want to rewind, I surely hope it doesn't mean they are streaming the content, in reverse, at 10x or something. So, maybe, just maybe, as you are watching it, the whole thing gets buffered, and if I hit pause before it is completely over I could re-start from the beginning without incurring additional downloads. Too much to hope for?

Question #3:
How are subtitles?

Question #4:
How are the controls? The lag? PQ?

Question #5:
Any other tricks, tips, traps, etc?

If you don't have answers, you can still add your own questions.

2NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:40 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I have Netflix here in the US. It's great.

1. Netflix dot CA has less selection that the US version. All in all the movies are kinda old, but you get some gems in there alot of times.

2. You don't download anything - it's all streamed. If you stop a movie - it remembers where you left off if you want to carry on later.

3. not sure what you mean here

4. controls are great - no lag, PQ adjusts to line speed.

5. being in Canada - Rogers/Bell etc will rape you with overage charges. It's not a secret that Netflix is now responsible for the lions share of the internet traffic today. Count on 700mb per hour SD and 1Gig per hour HD. Your IP cap limit in Canada will be reached quickly. Call your IP to find out your cap. Here in the US my cap is 250GB - I never reach it and use Netflix alot.

3NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

#3 I meant how are subtitles. I watch a lot after the kids are in bed and don't turn the volume up very loud. And our preferences tend to the wordy ones and subtitles are often pretty much a must.

I have a 65GB cap and I use about 8 of that on regular stuff. So it sounds like I could watch nearly 2 hours per day, on average. Good to know. I'll have to monitor that, for sure (my oldest gets home from school at 3 and has an hour by himself; the wife and I watch an hour ourselves, usually; then there's weekends, and school is almost done).

4NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:39 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I never use subtitles so can't help with that one...

5NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My wife watched a Sophia Loren movie and it was subtitled. That's all I got on that.

As for selection, it's a good idea to search for titles. You'll be pleasantly surprised, although new and even recent releases are few and far between.

If your movie doesn't come up, similar movies will be suggested. Although sometimes the suggestions are based on the stars more than the plot or genre.

6NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I believe there's an option to turn on subtitles. I've never gone that route but I'm pretty sure there's that option.

and yes, we get royally screwed in Canada. American netflix is the shiznit

7NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:I believe there's an option to turn on subtitles. I've never gone that route but I'm pretty sure there's that option.

Reminds me of Subway...

8NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:I believe there's an option to turn on subtitles. I've never gone that route but I'm pretty sure there's that option.

Reminds me of Subway...

Exactly

9NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

1. Just to elaborate on what SSF talked about, there are more movies than just the apparent ones in each genre or category. Unfortunately the only way I've found to search through them is to go to the search function on their website, or while in netflix itself, and search the title or the actor/actress in the search field. There is a much larger choice than what is shown.

For example, if you go to Television, Dollhouse is not there. If you use the search tool and look up Dollhouse, you'll see they actually have both seasons.

3. Subtitles are weak. They don't often offer them for the movies. Sometimes they are offered for foreign language films, but some of them opt for a dubbed version. I hope they improve this feature in the future.

5. After you watch a movie, they make recommendations on what you may like. Take these with a grain of salt. After I watched a French Action movie (Wasabi, great movie), they suggested I'd like all the other French movies, whether they were romance, comedy, action or drama.

10NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:31 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Reminds me of Subway...

$5 pizza subs is all the world really needs. And I have one for my lunch today. It's a good day.

11NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think that the Green Lantern movie makes it to Netflix fairly quick. Even in Canada.

12NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:I think that the Green Lantern movie makes it to Netflix fairly quick. Even in Canada.

It might skip Netflix and just go to YouTube. The trailers made it look terrible, and, sure enough, it's terrible:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/

13NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:45 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think that the Green Lantern movie makes it to Netflix fairly quick. Even in Canada.

It might skip Netflix and just go to YouTube. The trailers made it look terrible, and, sure enough, it's terrible:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/green_lantern/
damn! i was a big GL fan as a kid.... I was really looking forward to this.

14NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, I was really looking forward to the Spiderman movies...so other people should have their dreams crushed too.... It seems like only the new Batman movies (and a couple of the XMen movies) are doing justice to their comic book fans. Oh, and the Iron Man movies are pretty good too, if only because they are funny.

15NETFLIX streaming  Empty Re: NETFLIX streaming Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Well, I was really looking forward to the Spiderman movies...so other people should have their dreams crushed too.... It seems like only the new Batman movies (and a couple of the XMen movies) are doing justice to their comic book fans. Oh, and the Iron Man movies are pretty good too, if only because they are funny.

Any of those movies will cost you 7.25 in the States. Closer to 10 bucks here. Kind of like how we get Cussed over by Subway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum