GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Considering trying out Netflix -- what's the break-even point?

+8
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Riprock
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Ev
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm thinking of giving Netflix a try for downloading movies to the PS3. I haven't tried their 30 day free trial yet as I only had Rogers lite before. Is that deal still available?

I'd like to compare what Netflix will offer me versus ROD or renting. I can rent new blu-rays from the zip.ca kiosk for $2/day. I have a feeling they are not going to survive long with those rates, plus the selection is not that great. Renting a high-def movie from ROD is a ridiculous $7.99 (and till probably go higher soon). And you only get it for 24 hours, which, in our case, means watch it in one sitting or rent it for 2 days (since our watching times are kinda fixed).

Anyhow, I'm not really thinking of comparing Netflix with $2/day rental (except for the free 30 day trial) but I don't think the $2/day will last. What are the Netflix plans? Do they have any one-at-a-time rentals? How big are the movies (GB) and what are the Rogers charges for going over my cap? Is anyone using Netflix and can you say what you like and what you hate about their service?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I had the NetFlix trial but stopped after 10 days because every single thing I wanted was not available. Don't know if this is still the case, but the selection was awful.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:I had the NetFlix trial but stopped after 10 days because every single thing I wanted was not available. Don't know if this is still the case, but the selection was awful.

I'd heard that before. Is it the selection of the latest or the catalog stuff?

Also, how is their PQ? I heard they overcompressed.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I have it, 7.99 per month, and that's the only plan available I think, but you can watch as many movies as you want. If you have unlimited download, it's a Cussing bargain. I have 50 GB and i watch about 10 movies per month, that's $0.79 the movie...
Every movie requires around about 1.5/2GB depending of the length. Some classics have amazing quality (I watched Psycho the other day, the sound was amazingly crisp). Most new movies are HD and 5.1. I watch on a 58" Plasma, and it looks beautiful.
I have to say though, if you are looking for big time new movies only, it's not worth it, as the selection includes mostly classics (from the 50's to 2000's) and a lot of comedies. There are a few blockbusters but not that much. Since I had it in november though, the selection has been vastly improved, and if more and more people sign up, they will pay to get more rights from the big Studios. Also if you like Foreign movies, the selection is amazing. Some movies you won't see in any Blockbusters. They have stuff like 7 Samurais.
Netflix is perfect for a guy like me who rarely watches Hollywood action kind of stuff movies.
The best thing to do is just try the 1 month trial (it's still on), you will see how it looks like. I haven't used it the last few weeks as I've been busy, but with the PSN down, I'm not sure it works on the PS3 right now...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

When I tried it they had no new movies on it, and I didn't care for movies like Ernest Goes to Camp. All I got was Mad Men and Heroes, which I don't like.

I don't see the point in getting it if they aren't going to give you new movies...that's what people want the most.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My kids were watching Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing on Rainbows on youtube on the PS3 yesterday. I don't think you need the PSN to stream content, so unless Neflix is using the PSN for something else (authentication, perhaps) I think it should be fine.

I'm afraid my cap is only 25 GB but I really should find out for sure.

Correction. I just checked their webpage and the next step up from Lite (Lite is what I had before I upgraded a couple of months ago) is Express, which has a 60 GB cap. It also claims to be 10 Mbps down, which I find funny, because I haven't noticed a huge change from the 3 Mbps Lite.

OK, so with 60 GB, assuming I'm still going to use up 10-12 for *regular* stuff, that leaves me 48 G, or roughly 24 movies' worth of capacity. Hmm, interesting. If I rent one movie from Rogers that's my monthly Netflix fee right there.

It really boils down to selection, then.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just tried browsing their selection online. It's a little annoying when you search for a particular title, they display it but say it's not available.

'Star Trek: Voyager' is not available, you might enjoy SNL: The Best of Will Ferrel Volume 1. Really? How are those two remotely related?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

selection sucks, but you can always settle on something with netflix even with the crappy selection. and for $8 a month, its really nothing. Cost of a fast-food meal really.

They have arrested development and community on there now.....the american netflix is awesome though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I've got the AD box-sets. And Community they have only S1 (to be expected, of course). I was kinda bummed out they didn't have X-Files, as that's a series I could get into re-watching with the boys. And while we've indoctrinated them into Star Trek with TOS, the movies and some TNG, they've seen very little of Voyager (my wife's favorite) -- another one that's not in their library yet.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

They always have the 30-day free trial, you just have to make sure yo stay on top of it and not let it go past or they charge you.

Same thing as already mentioned by Evan, the selection sucks.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:They always have the 30-day free trial, you just have to make sure yo stay on top of it and not let it go past or they charge you.

Same thing as already mentioned by Evan, the selection sucks.

Maybe I'll wait a bit longer till the current TV season ends (haven't even seen the Fringe finale but miss it already -- the Expos are still playing in the red universe). Hopefully the selection improves.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

At $8/month, the break even point is if you rent 1 HD ROD movie per month with Rogers. And that's pretty easy to beat.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Once their TV program selection improves drastically I'll likely give Netflix a try and get rid of Satelite TV. Combine that with Magic Jack phone for 12 dollars a year and that's a whole lotta chedda' saved.

Anyone use Magic Jack? If so how do you like it?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Once their TV program selection improves drastically I'll likely give Netflix a try and get rid of Satelite TV. Combine that with Magic Jack phone for 12 dollars a year and that's a whole lotta chedda' saved.

Anyone use Magic Jack? If so how do you like it?

What the heck is a Magic Jack? Does it come with a little bag of beans? How is it different from Skype?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I've been tempted to get NetFlix as well.

I need to switch to a better ISP like Teksavvy with no cap, but with this whole UBB/CRTC issue still ongoing it may not be worth it.

Plus they only offer DSL in my area, no cable yet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum