GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Considering trying out Netflix -- what's the break-even point?

+8
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Riprock
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Ev
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I wonder if we get less for our money in Canada than in the US for Netflix. Like Subway, for example?

THIS! Canada always gets the short-end....we can't even get hulu :'(
I get HULU..and netflix (the american version)...well when I'm at work. For some reason my office while here in Ottawa has an IP address that registers me as being in New York. WIth that said, the American version of netflix is 1000 times better. The content is from what I can tell about on par with what you'd see in your video store.

Canada is making strides (netflix canada signed a contract with paramount canada I believe), which is bringing fairly recent content from that studio to netflix when it releases. With that said, it's still lagging far behind the american version but thanks to friends at the CRTC it appears to be political red tape, and the intent of the canadian broadcast companies to block netflix from getting any substantial content.

It's due to change, but according to one friend they also expect american carriers of tv/satelite/phone/internet to come to canada and be allowed to compete in our market.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I wonder if we get less for our money in Canada than in the US for Netflix. Like Subway, for example?

You can keep your Subway talk over on the Ketchup debate thread thank you very much. Wink
Five... five dollar foot long... that tune is so catchy...

How about "What's your 99?" for Wendy's in the US, but here it's "Nah, nah, my $1.89"

This is all covered in the Great Ketchup Debate thread - Strong lobby groups have made it such that garbage food that makes you fat gets huge subsidies. Do you really want that in Canada? Would you prefer to spend less money feeding your family at McDonalds over making them something healthy at home?

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:
Michallica wrote:

THIS! Canada always gets the short-end....we can't even get hulu :'(
I get HULU..and netflix (the american version)...well when I'm at work. For some reason my office while here in Ottawa has an IP address that registers me as being in New York. WIth that said, the American version of netflix is 1000 times better. The content is from what I can tell about on par with what you'd see in your video store.

Canada is making strides (netflix canada signed a contract with paramount canada I believe), which is bringing fairly recent content from that studio to netflix when it releases. With that said, it's still lagging far behind the american version but thanks to friends at the CRTC it appears to be political red tape, and the intent of the canadian broadcast companies to block netflix from getting any substantial content.

It's due to change, but according to one friend they also expect american carriers of tv/satelite/phone/internet to come to canada and be allowed to compete in our market.

This is thanks, in large part, to those big bad Conservatives. Sarcasm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:I've been tempted to get NetFlix as well.

I need to switch to a better ISP like Teksavvy with no cap, but with this whole UBB/CRTC issue still ongoing it may not be worth it.

Plus they only offer DSL in my area, no cable yet.

I am on TekSavvy's DSL service. While the max possible download speed is not as fast as cable, it works great as far as I'm concerned. My download speeds seem to max out at around 600kb/s. And I have a 300GB/month cap. And I pay $32/month. You can get unlimited data for $40/month.

Anyway, I guess it depends what you're doing with your internet connection. I don't do a lot of HD video streaming, I do a lot of HD video downloading, so to me, the 300GB/month is more important than the speed.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You can keep your Subway talk over on the Ketchup debate thread thank you very much. Wink

How about "What's your 99?" for Wendy's in the US, but here it's "Nah, nah, my $1.89"

LMAO! what a rip off for us Canadians especially with out dollar being higher lately....total rip-off! and have u guys every tried purchasing alcohol in the U.S.??? you will drop to the floor when you see how cheap 4L bottles of grey goose are in an american costco.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
I am on TekSavvy's DSL service. While the max possible download speed is not as fast as cable, it works great as far as I'm concerned. My download speeds seem to max out at around 600kb/s. And I have a 300GB/month cap. And I pay $32/month. You can get unlimited data for $40/month.

Anyway, I guess it depends what you're doing with your internet connection. I don't do a lot of HD video streaming, I do a lot of HD video downloading, so to me, the 300GB/month is more important than the speed.

It turns out Cable is now available in my area (TekSavvy just activated a lot of equipment in Ottawa).

I don't need unlimited bandwidth but I am finding it hard to pay Rogers for 60GB/month when I can get 300Gb for much less.

My only concern is if UBB gets approved, Teksavvy will have to implement caps so switching will not get me much.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

LMAO! what a rip off for us Canadians especially with out dollar being higher lately....total rip-off! and have u guys every tried purchasing alcohol in the U.S.??? you will drop to the floor when you see how cheap 4L bottles of grey goose are in an american costco.

Nice!! Now Americans can become fat, alcholic, heart attack prone, couch potatoes for far less than it would cost a Canadian. Beer

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:It turns out Cable is now available in my area (TekSavvy just activated a lot of equipment in Ottawa).

I don't need unlimited bandwidth but I am finding it hard to pay Rogers for 60GB/month when I can get 300Gb for much less.

My only concern is if UBB gets approved, Teksavvy will have to implement caps so switching will not get me much.

I have one little problem with Teksavvy:

Considering trying out Netflix -- what's the break-even point? - Page 3 Teksav10

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

say what u want about the americans cap'n, but there's a reason butt-loads of ppl travel down from Ottawa to syracuse to go 'shopping', like winter tires in ogdesnburg. And the reason is simple....there's more competition there. That's why cellular plans, internet plans, alcohol that can be sold in any grocery store as opposed to one particular store, they are all cheaper just because there's more competition. hell even cars are waaay cheaper down there. have u seen the number of car dealerships in each city? 2-3 times more than canadian cities.

I'll admit though, i am a little bit biased towards the U.S. on account of being a green card holder, but I would say I'm waaaay more canadian than american. That said, I really wish we could adopt their competitive nature instead of being stuck with what we got here. No choice whatsoever.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:I have one little problem with Teksavvy:

Considering trying out Netflix -- what's the break-even point? - Page 3 Teksav10

What, you don't believe in hiring retired goons to be your pointless celebrity spokesman?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Michallica wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Nice!! Now Americans can become fat, alcholic, heart attack prone, couch potatoes for far less than it would cost a Canadian. Beer
Sarcasm

Furniture is cheaper, too. I'd bet you can buy Canadian-made furniture at a US retailer for less than the same furniture would cost here. It's like that with a lot of items, by the way. Thank God we have a trade deficit with them.

Last edited by wprager on Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
I have one little problem with Teksavvy:

Could be worse Laugh1

Support Georges Laracque or giving money to Rogers ..... Uck

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any Netflix news?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Any Netflix news?

For $8 a month, you could do worse.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

I'm getting my moneys worth from 70's cartoons alone.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:

That's the spirit. Pink Panther FTW

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:

That's the spirit. Pink Panther FTW

Fat Albert and Godzilla (featuring Godzooky)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I signed up for Netflix today. Thought I'd give it a spin. I also signed up for Unblock US so that I could check out all the Netflix US content. Sweet stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum