GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - SAT. Jan. 1 2011

+15
SeawaySensFan
LethalLehner
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
PTFlea
dennycrane
Urkie
Hoags
Riprock
Hobiesens
CockRoche
Bramlet07
SensHulk
shabbs
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I'm with you. Posted this in another thread -- we need a veteran on D with Karlsson, Cowen and possibly Rundblad all lacing them up with the big club next season. While Kuba is signed, I'd prefer Phillips as he *is* a leader. You don't throw away 10+ years because of one bad one. The guy's 32!!!! Give him a $4+$3+$2+$2 with a limited NTC and let him retire a Senator. Kuba, with just one year left, should be a fairly easy piece to move -- after all, a season that starts with a broken leg because of bad ice is easy enough to rationalize away.

Nod

Rebuilding isn't just dealing all your established players away and hoping your prospects magically develop. Culture of losing + lack of veteran advice usually = prolonged lousiness and poor player development.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Keep Phillips for next year but trade him at the deadline for some picks or prospects. Pretty easy decision, IMO.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:I'm with you. Posted this in another thread -- we need a veteran on D with Karlsson, Cowen and possibly Rundblad all lacing them up with the big club next season. While Kuba is signed, I'd prefer Phillips as he *is* a leader. You don't throw away 10+ years because of one bad one. The guy's 32!!!! Give him a $4+$3+$2+$2 with a limited NTC and let him retire a Senator. Kuba, with just one year left, should be a fairly easy piece to move -- after all, a season that starts with a broken leg because of bad ice is easy enough to rationalize away.

Nod

Rebuilding isn't just dealing all your established players away and hoping your prospects magically develop. Culture of losing + lack of veteran advice usually = prolonged lousiness and poor player development.

Phillips doesn't draw fans, though. Nor is he married to a famous entertainer. He's a family man with roots in the area. Boooooooring.

asq2 wrote:So we move the 32 year old Phillips...who teaches Cowen the tricks of the NHL trade specific to his position? Matt Carkner?

Kind of like Gonchar teaching Karlsson you mean?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Who taught Phillips the tricks to play NHL D? I have no recollection who was on those past Senator teams...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Nod

Phillips doesn't draw fans, though. Nor is he married to a famous entertainer. He's a family man with roots in the area. Boooooooring.

Oh, I dunno. Erin's easy on the eyes and you don't really need a good singing voice for Country; just some "twang" and that "hurt but pensive" look.

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - SAT. Jan. 1 2011 - Page 9 Chris+and+Erin+Phillips

Although she maybe into some kinky stuff:

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - SAT. Jan. 1 2011 - Page 9 Pic_chris_erin_phillips

Big Ev wrote:Who taught Phillips the tricks to play NHL D? I have no recollection who was on those past Senator teams...

Lance Pitlick

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Who taught Phillips the tricks to play NHL D? I have no recollection who was on those past Senator teams...

Either Phil Von Stefinelli or Lance "Romance" Pitlick. It's been awhile.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Phillips was a #1 overall pick. He had the likes of Kravchuk, Laukkanen, York, Pitlick and Vial as "veterans" (only Kravchuk was 30). Redden was a sophomore.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:So we move the 32 year old Phillips...who teaches Cowen the tricks of the NHL trade specific to his position? Matt Carkner?

Well first, I think Karlsson's hockey IQ is quite a bit higher than Cowen's. Second, we don't really know everything that goes on on the bench and in practices, but I'd bet Gonchar is a valuable mentor for EK, looking at what he did for Letang.

I dunno. Cowen will need someone to show him the ropes, IMO, and neither Carkner nor Gonchar is the guy to do it.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

seriously, you guys think we'd be better off without phillips? he isn't playing well i grant ou but who is? something is off within the organization and it's putting this whole team out on the curb. i wouldn't throw the towel in with phillips. he's only 32.
what i would do is trade him wink wink/nudge nudge and re-sign him july 1st.
i agree with asq2, there's a reason florida, columbus and other bottom dwellers can seem to get out of the last spots and when their players leave to go somewhere else they flourish.

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Well first, I think Karlsson's hockey IQ is quite a bit higher than Cowen's. Second, we don't really know everything that goes on on the bench and in practices, but I'd bet Gonchar is a valuable mentor for EK, looking at what he did for Letang.

I dunno. Cowen will need someone to show him the ropes, IMO, and neither Carkner nor Gonchar is the guy to do it.

I was partially kidding. Off the ice, Gonchar is probably a good mentor, but I was referring to his less than stellar play, and his even worse effort. Those are the things I don't want rubbing off on Karlsson, or anyone else.

As far as Phillips mentoring Cowen, you're right that he'll need a mentor just as Karlsson did/does, but I really wonder if it's worth it to have a guy who's on-ice play is less than good just to have an off-ice mentor.

EDIT: Is there anyone here that could make a reasonable argument that Gonchar is worth what we are paying him now and for two more years factoring everything in (on-ice play and mentoring Karlsson et al.)? Because I sure can't justify it.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:I was partially kidding. Off the ice, Gonchar is probably a good mentor, but I was referring to his less than stellar play, and his even worse effort. Those are the things I don't want rubbing off on Karlsson, or anyone else.

As far as Phillips mentoring Cowen, you're right that he'll need a mentor just as Karlsson did/does, but I really wonder if it's worth it to have a guy who's on-ice play is less than good just to have an off-ice mentor.

Well, we have to ask a couple of questions:

A) Will we get a better defenceman for equal/less money?
B) Will we be able to find another equally good/better mentor?

Cowen looks locked in to the LD spot opposite Karlsson in the future, so his development is quite important to this team long-term (that pairing could potentially play like 24/25+ minutes a night for us in all situations).

Also, if Phillips is the only D who is bad, then we'll be alright next season (we won't be competing for the Cup regardless). If the D in general is bad, then we'll be getting another high pick while developing our young players. Win-win (without any actual wins).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

I was partially kidding. Off the ice, Gonchar is probably a good mentor, but I was referring to his less than stellar play, and his even worse effort. Those are the things I don't want rubbing off on Karlsson, or anyone else.

EDIT: Is there anyone here that could make a reasonable argument that Gonchar is worth what we are paying him now and for two more years factoring everything in (on-ice play and mentoring Karlsson et al.)? Because I sure can't justify it.
who knows? maybe he'll play better next year. all i see this year is a team(an entire team) that looks like it's given up. i don't want to make excuse for the guy but i imagine it might feel like Dung to come from a team who's done more winning then not to a team like ottawa that is on the verge of a rebuild.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would say the fact that he's a lock for the HOF and a regular 50-60 point producer means that he's in a slump and on a crappy team. Gonchar will be fine, he's a worry, but he's not the biggest worry right now.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

kovalev is another matter. i'm suprised that anyone is suprised with the effort we are getting from him. from the start i knew this was going to be one big failed experiment.
i'm just happy he'll be gone at the end of the year. at least he took some of the heat off spezza from the media.

SpezDispenser wrote:I would say the fact that he's a lock for the HOF and a regular 50-60 point producer means that he's in a slump and on a crappy team. Gonchar will be fine, he's a worry, but he's not the biggest worry right now.

Not on this team. Not by a long shot. I'll be surpised if he cracks 40 points, which considering his defensive play is probably not what Murray thought he was getting when he signed this guy to a $5 million contract for 3 (what appears to be) painfully long years.

I'd love to see Gonchar turn things around but the team sucking seems like an excuse to me. His effort is downright deplorable at times. Jesse Winchester busts his Donkey every single second he's on the ice. Now I don't expect that sort of thing from Gonchar, but he ought to look like he gives a dman!

Last edited by hemlock on Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flo The Action wrote:
hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:

who knows? maybe he'll play better next year. all i see this year is a team(an entire team) that looks like it's given up. i don't want to make excuse for the guy but i imagine it might feel like Dung to come from a team who's done more winning then not to a team like ottawa that is on the verge of a rebuild.

And if he doesn't? Then what.

This wasn't a reasonable argument to the question I asked by the way. He doesn't feel good to come to a less succesful team? Boo Cussing Hoo. He has $15 million reasons to show up at the rink and put in an honest day's work.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum