GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - SAT. Jan. 1 2011

+15
SeawaySensFan
LethalLehner
Ev
Number Twenty Nine
PTFlea
dennycrane
Urkie
Hoags
Riprock
Hobiesens
CockRoche
Bramlet07
SensHulk
shabbs
wprager
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

The other thing to consider is, if Ottawa does go rebuild, and fills out the roster with ELCs, you will need a few large contracts to raise the cap to the floor. Ottawa already has a few of them (Spezza, Alfredsso, Gonchar and Fisher), but hopefully they lose some guys like Phillips, Kuba, Leclaire and Kovalev. Lots of cap room.

If the Sens can bring in some exciting youth (Silfverberg, Petersson, Rundblad) all while keeping their expenses low, and they can nearly sell out (perhaps lowering ticket prices a little), they could make ends meet, which is a good thing for Melnyk.

As I said, he's going to be the make or break factor. He either allows the team to start over fresh and potentially lose some money for the next few years, or he makes them spend and continually be a playoff failure.

Maybe he should sell the Jim Balls?

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:Mike Fisher might be too valuable to the Senators though for personal reasons. He alone has a large fanbase that likely brings in spectators, plus his wife is a major recording artist and celebrity. I think he is good to have around, especially considering the game he plays. Very good player to have around a young team.

On the other hand, he is also a potentially attractive trading piece.... so it is a tough decision.

I doubt Alfredsson will ever leave, unless it is one of those mutual decisions ala Ray Bourque. Would it hurt his image and career if he left the team to pursue a Stanley Cup elsewhere, then returned for one final year in Ottawa?

My personal list of players to see stay are: Alfredsson, Spezza, Fisher, and Karlsson.

Guys like Foligno and Regin are still young so I would likely keep them unless it was for a trade similar to Latendresse (one young underachiever for another).

And the non-roster guys like prospects are also part of the future and I wouldn't part with nay of them. That includes picks, unless it is something like a swap of 1st or 2nds, but obviously only if it is beneficial to Ottawa.

That's a good post. I think you hit the nail on the head. Fisher is very valuable from a merchandising aspect + popularity. It's not really about that obviously, but that plays into it big time whether we like it or not. It's not the end of the world with Fisher anyway, he's a good player, but his streakiness are going to really hurt this team in the next couple of years because we simply don't have the talent to be able to support streaks. Still, the dude hits 20 goals every year + hits everything that moves when he's healthy.

Phillips is the other massive question mark. Do you trade him, or do you give him the benefit of the doubt and try to sign him @ 3 years, 3.5 million (I doubt he'd go less than that).

It's not really that the core is wrong - it's just old and streaky. If we're to keep Fisher, then we need young, fast, big and skilled up front to accommodate that. It wouldn't be the way I would do it necessarily, but it might still be enough to work in the next 3-4 years.

I don't want Phillips re-signed, even at a hometown discount. We've seen this (crappy) movie before with Redden.
they aren't the same type of player and i doubt they end the same.
but personally i'm all for trading phillips and re-sinning him in the summer.

No, I was referring to the decline in play. The way Phillips has played this year, he's not even worth a contract at the hometown discount rate.

Agreed - it would be a bad move to sign this guy. No signs that he is capable of even being a shadow of the guy he perhaps once was. Last 2 years I have seen his play decline. Signing him says the Sens do not care about play.

We love Fisher - but at his salary, I am sure that a lot of people dump on him for not being worth it.... well you would be applying that to Phillips, who is older and not as good.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Personally, I think a cheaper team (which would probably include some fan favorites like Fisher plying their trade in another market) that plays an exciting brand of hockey would be able to draw enough fans to actually lose less money than they will lose this season. They are not going to break even, forget that, but they can actually lose less money while turning this team around with better draft picks from a couple of losing seasons.

Most of the moaning and groaning I'm hearing and reading is exactly that. Fans paying to see a terrible, boring product on home ice.

The indifferent look on Fisher after the 3rd or 4th goal tells me all I need to know about this season. Nashville has plenty of assets to send back if it's a rebuild we're hoping for.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

So we move the 32 year old Phillips...who teaches Cowen the tricks of the NHL trade specific to his position? Matt Carkner?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

We are dreaming if we can come out of any trade on top.

We don't value many of our players, why would other teams?

You really think Nashville's going to send us Colin Wilson, who is playing better than Fisher? And you can forget about Weber, Suter, or anyone else for that matter.

A 1st round pick is stretching it.

A risk like Radulov would be highly enticing though. If Ottawa can convince him to come over that would be ridiculous.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:So we move the 32 year old Phillips...who teaches Cowen the tricks of the NHL trade specific to his position? Matt Carkner?

Luke Richardson?

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

I'd also move Phillips at this point. Is asking for a 1st rounder in the deal out of the question?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:So we move the 32 year old Phillips...who teaches Cowen the tricks of the NHL trade specific to his position? Matt Carkner?

Phillips hasn't even been playing his position. Cowen could probably teach him.

And you can always sign a veteran, if you really must. Or, I go back to trading Phillips for Regehr. Does Calgary do it? I dunno.... Regehr > Phillips, but the only thing Calgary might like is moving a contract for a UFA.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:We are dreaming if we can come out of any trade on top.

We don't value many of our players, why would other teams?

You really think Nashville's going to send us Colin Wilson, who is playing better than Fisher? And you can forget about Weber, Suter, or anyone else for that matter.

A 1st round pick is stretching it.

A risk like Radulov would be highly enticing though. If Ottawa can convince him to come over that would be ridiculous.

If we are trading for prospects we're not coming out on top. That's just the way it is.

We're getting question marks that may or may not work out in 2, 3, 4 years or even later in some cases.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:

And you can always sign a veteran, if you really must. Or, I go back to trading Phillips for Regehr. Does Calgary do it? I dunno.... Regehr > Phillips, but the only thing Calgary might like is moving a contract for a UFA.

Regehr has value around the league. Not as much value as some Flames fans might hope (Regehr for #1 C!) but more value than dealing him just to get an expiring contract.

Cowen will need help learning NHL positioning, learning to pick his spots, learning how to PK at the NHL level, etc. Having good homegrown players is as much about player development as it is about amateur scouting. See the Panthers, Islanders, and Blue Jackets vs. the Red Wings as an example of that - sure Andersson is the best scout in the business, but the way the Red Wings develop their players gives them a huge leg up on the aforementioned teams. Getting good picks is nice, but having an environment in which your prospects can learn and grow is often the difference between them busting and exceeding expectations.

Not that our situation is ideal, but I'd bet Phillips and Gonchar are a good influence on young defenders, even with their bad on-ice play. I'd do a lot of things - unspeakable things - to get Kuba to move before parting with the Big Rig.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm with you. Posted this in another thread -- we need a veteran on D with Karlsson, Cowen and possibly Rundblad all lacing them up with the big club next season. While Kuba is signed, I'd prefer Phillips as he *is* a leader. You don't throw away 10+ years because of one bad one. The guy's 32!!!! Give him a $4+$3+$2+$2 with a limited NTC and let him retire a Senator. Kuba, with just one year left, should be a fairly easy piece to move -- after all, a season that starts with a broken leg because of bad ice is easy enough to rationalize away.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Luke Richardson?

I think when Clouston and Carvel are gone, Luke will leave for personal reasons.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:

If we still had rep points you'd lose a ton for that. I *wish* that were the case, but it's not.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Kuba, another genius Murray decision. Facepalm

Prospects can have a lot of value, in which case you can already consider a trade a win based on that.

I honestly don't know what to expect from any team in return for any of our players.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Dash wrote:

If we still had rep points you'd lose a ton for that. I *wish* that were the case, but it's not.

Phillips has been awful!!!! Why can't people see that? Do you really want to take the huge risk of signing him and being stuck with a horrible player and a horrible contract? I wish I was wrong, but the way it looks, is almost a guarantee if he is re-signed, fans will be crying to move him ala Kuba.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I'm with you. Posted this in another thread -- we need a veteran on D with Karlsson, Cowen and possibly Rundblad all lacing them up with the big club next season. While Kuba is signed, I'd prefer Phillips as he *is* a leader. You don't throw away 10+ years because of one bad one. The guy's 32!!!! Give him a $4+$3+$2+$2 with a limited NTC and let him retire a Senator. Kuba, with just one year left, should be a fairly easy piece to move -- after all, a season that starts with a broken leg because of bad ice is easy enough to rationalize away.

Nod

Rebuilding isn't just dealing all your established players away and hoping your prospects magically develop. Culture of losing + lack of veteran advice usually = prolonged lousiness and poor player development.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Keep Phillips for next year but trade him at the deadline for some picks or prospects. Pretty easy decision, IMO.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:I'm with you. Posted this in another thread -- we need a veteran on D with Karlsson, Cowen and possibly Rundblad all lacing them up with the big club next season. While Kuba is signed, I'd prefer Phillips as he *is* a leader. You don't throw away 10+ years because of one bad one. The guy's 32!!!! Give him a $4+$3+$2+$2 with a limited NTC and let him retire a Senator. Kuba, with just one year left, should be a fairly easy piece to move -- after all, a season that starts with a broken leg because of bad ice is easy enough to rationalize away.

Nod

Rebuilding isn't just dealing all your established players away and hoping your prospects magically develop. Culture of losing + lack of veteran advice usually = prolonged lousiness and poor player development.

Phillips doesn't draw fans, though. Nor is he married to a famous entertainer. He's a family man with roots in the area. Boooooooring.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum