GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will be Ottawa's next GM?

+16
dennycrane
Sens4thecup
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
SDH89
stempniaksen
TheAvatar
Oglethorpe
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

76Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:49 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:

that move could have changed everything. We would have made the playoffs then in 2008-2009, hartsburg wouldn't have been fired (or would he?) and heatley we can presume would still be here, plus Boyle would have been the mentor to Karlsson.

Crying

EDIT: also, we probably don't deal for kuba and picard, and instead meszaros for boyle

Yep, Meszaros + pick would have been the deal. Man, that sucks.

77Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 am

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

well that's been murray's folly....he has never been able to pull of a BIG deal that helps the senators. Heatley deal was at gunpoint and we didn't get a stud in return last I checked. THAT boyle deal was his defining moment as a GM. WHen I heard from you guys he balekd at the deal (what the hell did san jose even give up???) I had no more faith that murray could pull a blockbuster trade off to bring in a stud.

He's made it up in some ways by his drafting but he's got alot of help in that department. The boyle trade was his moment to shine and he blew it. And as I mentioned above, we're still paying for it.

78Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

His reasoning was the Boyle's term was too long. He's be 38 or 39 or something by the time it ended - still making 6.6 million. I can understand his reasoning in that specific case, but I still would have made the deal. Boyle is one of the best puck movers in the world, a 60+ point guy, a leader - big mistake. But hey, he got Gonchar a couple of years too late mind you, but he got him.

79Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

Wayne Gretzky

I hear he is good at hockey and carries some influence.

80Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:44 pm

111519 wrote:Wayne Gretzky

I hear he is good at hockey and carries some influence.

Selecting a Canadian team to compete best on best is slightly easier than putting together an NHL team.

81Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would like to applaud hemlock for being one of the only people who didn't like the Gonchar signing...I had my doubts but still liked the signing at the time. So far it's looking like he was right.

82Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Scanlan+math+needed+hurry/3950667/story.html

Rumours have been swirling that Clouston could be canned, with general manager Bryan Murray going back behind the bench, but there is just as much speculation of a 'two-for-one' replacement of Murray and Clouston, with someone like TSN analyst Pierre McGuire, a former Senators assistant coach with ties to the original club founders, coming in to manage the team and install his choice of coach.

So true

Ugh please not McGuire.

Sadly, some great hockey minds got away from this organization over the past decade when Peter Chiarelli, Ray Shero and, further back, Rick Dudley, moved on for one reason or another. Nailing the transition, whether it's with management, coaches or captains, has not been a long suit of this club.

So true.

83Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Here we go 'round again...

Wink

84Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:54 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Scanlan+math+needed+hurry/3950667/story.html

Rumours have been swirling that Clouston could be canned, with general manager Bryan Murray going back behind the bench, but there is just as much speculation of a 'two-for-one' replacement of Murray and Clouston, with someone like TSN analyst Pierre McGuire, a former Senators assistant coach with ties to the original club founders, coming in to manage the team and install his choice of coach.

So true

Ugh please not McGuire.

Sadly, some great hockey minds got away from this organization over the past decade when Peter Chiarelli, Ray Shero and, further back, Rick Dudley, moved on for one reason or another. Nailing the transition, whether it's with management, coaches or captains, has not been a long suit of this club.

So true.

If Murray goes to Melnyk and says: "I'm letting Clouston go." The Gene will say "No you're not, I'm letting you go." True story.

85Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
If Murray goes to Melnyk and says: "I'm letting Clouston go." The Gene will say "No you're not, I'm letting you go." True story.

I'll drink to that Beer

86Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Did he though?

Yes.

An acquaintance of mine was at Grekko doing something and Boyle was there. Boyle was super excited because Ottawa had interest and he waived his NTC for them. He was basically saying that he was coming home and that he was pumped to play for the Sens. Others were there, others heard it. He was very disappointed when it didn't come to fruition.

Campbell was talking about Ottawa until the very end when Chicago upped to term and Ottawa walked away. I know that because I know the people who bordered him when he was a 67 very well. It was here or Chicago (or Columbus apparently, but he wasn't keen on going there).

that move could have changed everything. We would have made the playoffs then in 2008-2009, hartsburg wouldn't have been fired (or would he?) and heatley we can presume would still be here, plus Boyle would have been the mentor to Karlsson.

Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 521674

EDIT: also, we probably don't deal for kuba and picard, and instead meszaros for boyle

And we don't have Cowen and probably not Silfverberg.

87Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ray Shero was with Ottawa? Damn, I just looked it up...he was here for like 5 years. Didn't realize that.

Bring on Pierre! Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 649241 He'll announce pikcs at the podium as being "Monsters"!

88Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm willing to bet that if this continues, Melnyk's trigger happiness will get the better of him sooner rather than later and we'll see a GM change before a Coaching change, which will result in a Coaching change anyway.

89Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

marakh wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Did he though?

Yes.

An acquaintance of mine was at Grekko doing something and Boyle was there. Boyle was super excited because Ottawa had interest and he waived his NTC for them. He was basically saying that he was coming home and that he was pumped to play for the Sens. Others were there, others heard it. He was very disappointed when it didn't come to fruition.

Campbell was talking about Ottawa until the very end when Chicago upped to term and Ottawa walked away. I know that because I know the people who bordered him when he was a 67 very well. It was here or Chicago (or Columbus apparently, but he wasn't keen on going there).

Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 521674

And we don't have Cowen and probably not Silfverberg.

I'm sure nobody would be upset if we never had Silfverberg. Most people don't even know who he is.

90Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'll drink to that Beer

Murray's been around so I'm betting that he knows that too. Either Murray saves his own neck with a trade or The Gene cleans house. One of the two will happen. Real soon.

91Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Murray's been around so I'm betting that he knows that too. Either Murray saves his own neck with a trade or The Gene cleans house. One of the two will happen. Real soon.

I'd bet on the Gene walking into the Sens offices with pink slips in hand then. There's no way Murray can even pull off a trade now, much less a trade that fixes the team.

By the time he can pull a deal off, it'll be near the end of the season when it's too late.

92Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:03 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I've been Murray's biggest supporter but even I am starting to think it'd be nice to have some new bold blood in place (and not the nephew either).

I think we need to create a senior advisor position for Bryan or we just put him in charge of scouting which is something he's tremendous at.

93Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 6 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'll drink to that Beer

Or perhaps Gene goes to Murray and instructs him on the "Block Buster" trade he expects Murray to pull the trigger on? Food for thought.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum