GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who will be Ottawa's next GM?

+16
dennycrane
Sens4thecup
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
SDH89
stempniaksen
TheAvatar
Oglethorpe
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 8]

61Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:56 am

SDH89

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:I'd love to hear that interview as well. I bet he'd give a whole laundry list of things he would like to do to perk up this organization.

I think he might be the wildcard in the race for GM - assuming it's not gonna be Tim Murray - who I still think would be a decent choice.

If the season continues to go like it is, there's zero chance that Melnyk hands the job over to TM - he'll want a fresh face and a new start.

62Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:38 am

Oglethorpe wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
hemlock wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:Surprised with the McGuire love, there's a reason he's been out of the league so long, imo.

Would love to get Poile out of Nashville but that would never happen, so Fenton is a good consolation prize for sure.

Sisn't know Nill had ties to Ottawa so it might be a call worth making.

Poile is a long shot no doubt, but like you said, it might be a call worth making. He may want to GM a team that spends to the cap.
my thought exactly. but why would they let us talk to him? i'm sure they do not want him to leave, he's been keeping that team stocked for 10 mill under the cap for years. imagine what he could do unleashed.

what are the rules about trying to snipe another teams GM?

poile would probably top my list. i'm not sure i'd want mcguire, he seems to hate the sens whenever he comments on the team. maybe it's a love/hate relationship?
What you call hating the Sens is why I think he would be a decent choice. You perceive viewpoints as animosity towards Ottawa when it has become quite apparent over the last couple of years that he just sees the team for what it is. I would be quite intrigued to hear what his plans would be for this team. That's one interview I would love to hear.

I don't know.. why hasn't McGuire been picked up by another team. And just cause a GM may want to do something with a team doesn't mean it's going to happen. If McGuire came in I doubt he'd have free run of the organization like Murray seems to.. so that would be crap, another GM that doesn't do anything.

63Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:51 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think we're starting to look like the Edmonton Oilers of the East in terms of being an undesirable destination for big name players.

64Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:02 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think we're starting to look like the Edmonton Oilers of the East in terms of being an undesirable destination for big name players.
I think it's been that way for quite some time...

65Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I think we're starting to look like the Edmonton Oilers of the East in terms of being an undesirable destination for big name players.

Murray had opportunities to acquire Campbell or Dan Boyle and he didn't.

- Unknown Author

66Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:09 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Did he though?

67Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:10 am

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Did he though?

I agree.. frig if I was dan boyle I'd want to go to warm San Jose too.. Campbell for 7M+ for that term.. no thanks.

68Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:09 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Wasn't it public knowledge that Murray didn't want to shell out the money for Campbell and didn't want to give out the term to Boyle?

Wasn't that written up in mainstream media not just blogs and forums?

- Unknown Author

69Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:55 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Wasn't it public knowledge that Murray didn't want to shell out the money for Campbell and didn't want to give out the term to Boyle?

My point was that if you throw enough money/term at someone, they will come. Shelling out that kind of money/term would have created an even bigger problem later on down the road.

70Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Wasn't it public knowledge that Murray didn't want to shell out the money for Campbell and didn't want to give out the term to Boyle?

probably some garbage that Scary Crotch wrote.. although I don't disagree with those thoughts.

71Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:

My point was that if you throw enough money/term at someone, they will come. Shelling out that kind of money/term would have created an even bigger problem later on down the road.

The thing is SJ and Chi-town were willing to do it. Does that make them undesirable locations?

- Unknown Author

72Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:

The thing is SJ and Chi-town were willing to do it. Does that make them undesirable locations?

No but the dollar value and taxes make a difference.

73Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Did he though?

Yes.

An acquaintance of mine was at Grekko doing something and Boyle was there. Boyle was super excited because Ottawa had interest and he waived his NTC for them. He was basically saying that he was coming home and that he was pumped to play for the Sens. Others were there, others heard it. He was very disappointed when it didn't come to fruition.

Campbell was talking about Ottawa until the very end when Chicago upped to term and Ottawa walked away. I know that because I know the people who bordered him when he was a 67 very well. It was here or Chicago (or Columbus apparently, but he wasn't keen on going there).

74Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:09 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DirtyDave wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:

No but the dollar value and taxes make a difference.
Excellent point.

75Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:44 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Did he though?

Yes.

An acquaintance of mine was at Grekko doing something and Boyle was there. Boyle was super excited because Ottawa had interest and he waived his NTC for them. He was basically saying that he was coming home and that he was pumped to play for the Sens. Others were there, others heard it. He was very disappointed when it didn't come to fruition.

Campbell was talking about Ottawa until the very end when Chicago upped to term and Ottawa walked away. I know that because I know the people who bordered him when he was a 67 very well. It was here or Chicago (or Columbus apparently, but he wasn't keen on going there).

that move could have changed everything. We would have made the playoffs then in 2008-2009, hartsburg wouldn't have been fired (or would he?) and heatley we can presume would still be here, plus Boyle would have been the mentor to Karlsson.

Crying

EDIT: also, we probably don't deal for kuba and picard, and instead meszaros for boyle

76Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:49 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:

that move could have changed everything. We would have made the playoffs then in 2008-2009, hartsburg wouldn't have been fired (or would he?) and heatley we can presume would still be here, plus Boyle would have been the mentor to Karlsson.

Crying

EDIT: also, we probably don't deal for kuba and picard, and instead meszaros for boyle

Yep, Meszaros + pick would have been the deal. Man, that sucks.

77Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:54 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

well that's been murray's folly....he has never been able to pull of a BIG deal that helps the senators. Heatley deal was at gunpoint and we didn't get a stud in return last I checked. THAT boyle deal was his defining moment as a GM. WHen I heard from you guys he balekd at the deal (what the hell did san jose even give up???) I had no more faith that murray could pull a blockbuster trade off to bring in a stud.

He's made it up in some ways by his drafting but he's got alot of help in that department. The boyle trade was his moment to shine and he blew it. And as I mentioned above, we're still paying for it.

78Who will be Ottawa's next GM? - Page 5 Empty Re: Who will be Ottawa's next GM? Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

His reasoning was the Boyle's term was too long. He's be 38 or 39 or something by the time it ended - still making 6.6 million. I can understand his reasoning in that specific case, but I still would have made the deal. Boyle is one of the best puck movers in the world, a 60+ point guy, a leader - big mistake. But hey, he got Gonchar a couple of years too late mind you, but he got him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum