GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

McCabe a Panther?

+7
Cronie
jamvan
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
Mosky
PKC
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:49 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

Now THAT is a deal I can buy: Van Ryn/Skraskins + Dvorak/Zednik for McCabe.

Basically, the only way I can see someone taking on McCabe's contract is if TO agrees to take on someone else's problems in return. That's about the best they can hope for if they want roster players in return.

Hmmm, this makes me a little nervous.... I haven't really got much of an appetite for a my earlier post... Shocked!

Oh uh. Now TSN is saying that FLA and TO appear to have "agreed upon in principle" a deal for McCabe that would happen sometime after Sept. 1:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246307&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

The odds of me eating my post just went up another 25% or so. :pale:

32McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Basically, the only way I can see someone taking on McCabe's contract is if TO agrees to take on someone else's problems in return. That's about the best they can hope for if they want roster players in return.

Hmmm, this makes me a little nervous.... I haven't really got much of an appetite for a my earlier post... Shocked!

Oh uh. Now TSN is saying that FLA and TO appear to have "agreed upon in principle" a deal for McCabe that would happen sometime after Sept. 1:

:lol!: You'll have to let us know when that happens so we can broadcast it live here on GM Central?

33McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

:lol!: You'll have to let us know when that happens so we can broadcast it live here on GM Central?

Talk about a page hit bonus. It would be like the time that guy on Yahoo! Sports predicted that the Bears would finish dead last in their division, and that he would eat his laptop if they made the playoffs. (They ended up finishing first in their division) and the Chicago fans bombarded Yahoo! with emails demanding he keep his word and eat his laptop. He ate one made out of cake, but it would be real cool if rooneypoo ate the paper version of his post.

34McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

Hey, I said pics, pics only in the original post. No video! 8)

35McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

Hey, I said pics, pics only in the original post. No video! 8)

D'oh! OK then you'll have to put a Pic of it as your Avatar?

- Unknown Author

36McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:52 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

That would be sporting, wouldn't it? I honestly haven't looked into how one goes about adding an avatar; it hasn't concerned me too much.

However, I think such an action might ding up my cred a little bit more than it deserves. There are a lot of reasons -- 9 of them, in fact, corresponding to the 9 defencemen currently on roster in FLA -- to think that such a move is highly unlikely.

I only promised a pic to Eklund in that post, too. Which means that, if he calls on me for it, I'll send it to him, and he can do as he wishes with it.

Plus, nothing's done yet!

37McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

That would be sporting, wouldn't it? I honestly haven't looked into how one goes about adding an avatar; it hasn't concerned me too much.

However, I think such an action might ding up my cred a little bit more than it deserves. There are a lot of reasons -- 9 of them, in fact, corresponding to the 9 defencemen currently on roster in FLA -- to think that such a move is highly unlikely.

I only promised a pic to Eklund in that post, too. Which means that, if he calls on me for it, I'll send it to him, and he can do as he wishes with it.

Plus, nothing's done yet!

Well you can't blame me for trying. Smile BTW adding an Avatar is pretty simple. You just go to your profile and there's a list at the top with things like preferences, friends and foes and something called Avatar, you just click on Avatar.

- Unknown Author

38McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:50 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Now "What-the-Heckland" is reporting that Bouwmeester may be in on the deal, and that it might become a 3-way with Vancouver:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16486

I guess is you keep swinging, you're bound to hit something at some point.

If he's right about this, tho', wow... the lights will go out in that part of my brain that handles the hockey stuff because I just don't see the sense in such rumours. FLA dealing away their throw-away contracts (Van Ryn, Skraskins, Dvorak, and Zednik) to get McCabe as a potential replacement in the event that they can't re-sign Bouwmeester, yes, I see makes quite a bit of sense -- and I wish I had seen it before. But this other stuff seems utterly fanciful.

39McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:59 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Aetherial wrote:Bouwmeester is not coming to Toronto. Florida *may* be looking at McCabe as a replacement for Bouwmeester but the return for Bouwmeester will be much higher, and I don't see the Leafs being able to offer what Florida wants, except for maybe a 1st rounder... which I really hope they won't give up.
This sounds like the most likely scenario. They can get so much for Bouwmeester... McCabe would just be the start. As much as I'd like to see him in Ottawa, I have serious doubts. If I was Florida, I'd ship him out West. Keep him out of the East.

And, good to be here... let's get this party started.

40McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

When looked at logically, as Aetherial suggested, the only two things that Florida could possibly want from TO (other than the salary dump for Van Ryn et al) would be the 1st rounder and possibly McCabe (seems like a downgrade to me, though...) This hardly seems like trade material for J-Bo plus.

On the other hand, JM/Florida has a history of making trades that, to most people anyhow, seem somewhat bizarre (ref. Jokinen, Luongo), and Fletcher is looking to make a splash along the lines of the Wendell Clark trade he made the last time he took the reins of the Laffs.

Given the second set of facts, I'd suggest that logic may not hold, and that Florida may in fact end up with two of the top five picks next draft...

Think of it: we could potentially have a team with Matthias, Tavares, and Hedman, along with Horton and Vokoun, yet only six fans.

41McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:31 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:When looked at logically, as Aetherial suggested, the only two things that Florida could possibly want from TO (other than the salary dump for Van Ryn et al) would be the 1st rounder and possibly McCabe (seems like a downgrade to me, though...) This hardly seems like trade material for J-Bo plus.

On the other hand, JM/Florida has a history of making trades that, to most people anyhow, seem somewhat bizarre (ref. Jokinen, Luongo), and Fletcher is looking to make a splash along the lines of the Wendell Clark trade he made the last time he took the reins of the Laffs.

Given the second set of facts, I'd suggest that logic may not hold, and that Florida may in fact end up with two of the top five picks next draft...

Think of it: we could potentially have a team with Matthias, Tavares, and Hedman, along with Horton and Vokoun, yet only six fans.

LOL. "6 fans." Man, it's gotta be tough to be one of those guys.

I think the most logical scenario is that of FLA off-loading some of their undesirable contracts (say, Van Ryn + Dvorak/Zednick, which would be about $4.5 mil of salary) for one of TO's undesirable contracts (McCabe), especially if FLA is worried about not being able to hold onto J-Bo after this year. I'd be absolutely shocked to see J-Bo involved in any trade for McCabe.

For a team in rebuilding mode, I can't imagine TO wants to give up their 1st round pick. They'd probably have to face an avalanche of criticism if they preached "rebuilding" on the one hand and then turned around the traded away their 1st the very next year.

42McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:For a team in rebuilding mode, I can't imagine TO wants to give up their 1st round pick. They'd probably have to face an avalanche of criticism if they preached "rebuilding" on the one hand and then turned around the traded away their 1st the very next year.

Agreed, however I can't see much else on their team that is worth trading for, and since "you got to give to get", they'd be stuck if they really want J-Bo.

43McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:14 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/08/14/leafs_mccabe_panthers/

Blah. Van Ryan makes 2.9 million? That's not a logical trade at all IMO. Whatever...

44McCabe a Panther? - Page 3 Empty Re: McCabe a Panther? Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:02 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/08/14/leafs_mccabe_panthers/

Blah. Van Ryan makes 2.9 million? That's not a logical trade at all IMO. Whatever...

Leafs and logic? That's like military intelligence.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum