GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bryan McCabe

+3
Aetherial
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bryan McCabe Empty Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

What's this? A non-Sens topic? Wink

It's not a secret that Bryan McCabe is not wanted in Toronto, so why does he want to put himself through the trouble and stay in Toronto? Now, perhaps he does want to leave and is using his NTC to it's fullest and is very limited in his teams of choice. Those mentioned are Tampa and Pittsburgh, both of whom have cap issues.

I will be so bold to state that McCabe is a good defenceman, much like Wade Redden, someone who is very capable of all-star performances but needs a change of venue, get out of the pressure of the Canadian market.

One such trade that has been rumoured would send McCabe to Tampa for Jokinen and Halpern (who is unlikely to play this season after sustaining the knee injury at the World Championships). Both of these players were just acquired last deadline as part of the deal for Brad Richards.

Out of Pittsburgh, I don't see Toronto taking on any more defenceman, with Kaberle, Kubina, Colaiacovo, Strahlman, White, Frogren and Schenn in the line-up. One name I know that Toronto probably really wants is Jordan Staal... but how likely is that?

So, do you think McCabe will waive and if so, where would he go?

2Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:What's this? A non-Sens topic? Wink

It's not a secret that Bryan McCabe is not wanted in Toronto, so why does he want to put himself through the trouble and stay in Toronto? Now, perhaps he does want to leave and is using his NTC to it's fullest and is very limited in his teams of choice. Those mentioned are Tampa and Pittsburgh, both of whom have cap issues.

I will be so bold to state that McCabe is a good defenceman, much like Wade Redden, someone who is very capable of all-star performances but needs a change of venue, get out of the pressure of the Canadian market.

One such trade that has been rumoured would send McCabe to Tampa for Jokinen and Halpern (who is unlikely to play this season after sustaining the knee injury at the World Championships). Both of these players were just acquired last deadline as part of the deal for Brad Richards.

Out of Pittsburgh, I don't see Toronto taking on any more defenceman, with Kaberle, Kubina, Colaiacovo, Strahlman, White, Frogren and Schenn in the line-up. One name I know that Toronto probably really wants is Jordan Staal... but how likely is that?

So, do you think McCabe will waive and if so, where would he go?

I have my doubts about McCabe going anywhere. Just look at the Redden fiasco. If he did go I'm not really sure where. Weren't there rumblings for a long while about him wanting to go to the Islanders? Was that all bull?

3Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The Islanders were brought up because of his connection to them from earlier in his career. I'm not sure I see them being in it though. If it were true he'd be an Islander already. I think the Isles are going in a different direction now.

McCabe's situation is different from Redden. There were rumblings that the LEafs would scratch McCabe all year if he refused to leave - Wade was never really forced out, just told that the team expressed interest in moving him.

4Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:The Islanders were brought up because of his connection to them from earlier in his career. I'm not sure I see them being in it though. If it were true he'd be an Islander already. I think the Isles are going in a different direction now.

McCabe's situation is different from Redden. There were rumblings that the LEafs would scratch McCabe all year if he refused to leave - Wade was never really forced out, just told that the team expressed interest in moving him.

I hope for McCabe's sake he moves on because I get the sense that the fans aren't too pleased that he seems to be refusing to do anything but play for the Leafs even though the Leaf managment don't seem to want him.

5Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:The Islanders were brought up because of his connection to them from earlier in his career. I'm not sure I see them being in it though. If it were true he'd be an Islander already. I think the Isles are going in a different direction now.

I hope for McCabe's sake he moves on because I get the sense that the fans aren't too pleased that he seems to be refusing to do anything but play for the Leafs even though the Leaf managment don't seem to want him.

Leaf's Management doesn't seem to want any of the 'old guard' except for Kaberle. Who could blame them? It will still not be too hard to hate them once we recognize the names...

EDIT: I poached the temporary avatar from some guy's third jersey attempt. Nice work I think. I for one will be buying a Smith jersey, even if he is only going to be here the two years. Love that dude.

6Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

Leaf's Management doesn't seem to want any of the 'old guard' except for Kaberle. Who could blame them? It will still not be too hard to hate them once we recognize the names...

Actually with Domi, Tucker & Quinn all gone it's getting harder and harder :lol!: Although I think I have enough hate for Bell after those Alfie and Fisher hits that it shouldn't be a problem to get a good hate on for the Leafs. :lol!:

7Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:10 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The really huge thing with Redden and McCabe, while slightly different, is that both were shopped and asked to waive their NTC, thus essentially saying "we don't want you here", and while they have the right to refuse as in their contract, why stay? Do you really want to be that guy at a party that everyone hates?

8Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:03 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:The really huge thing with Redden and McCabe, while slightly different, is that both were shopped and asked to waive their NTC, thus essentially saying "we don't want you here", and while they have the right to refuse as in their contract, why stay? Do you really want to be that guy at a party that everyone hates?

I totally agree which is why it made no sense with Redden and makes even less sense with McCabe. Why is he still there? Is it simply because the teams he wants to go to aren't an option for a trade at this point?

9Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:10 pm

DashRiprock wrote:The really huge thing with Redden and McCabe, while slightly different, is that both were shopped and asked to waive their NTC, thus essentially saying "we don't want you here", and while they have the right to refuse as in their contract, why stay? Do you really want to be that guy at a party that everyone hates?

Because its your house and you don't have to leave. That's what the NMC is, it's insurance that allows you the choice in exchange for taking less money.

McCabe could just as easily have a great year this year and Leaf fans will love him again. Or he could not, and stay there because that where he wants to live/raise a family. In the end its completly up to him. you can't blame the player, blame the moron GM that gave out all these NTC's.

It's also possible that he's given a list of teams he'd go to and none of the work for a trade. Let's keep in mind, Redden would waive to go to San Jose, McCabe got offered the islanders, I can't blame the guy for sticking to his guns.

10Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Redden had the option to go to either of Edmonton or San Jose and what I heard is McCabe wants to go to Long Island.

As I said, they have every right as given to them in their contract to not be traded, but as I said, why do you want to stay where you are not wanted? Seriously, answer me that. Your GM tells you you're not wanted... your teammates know that there's other options out there to improve the team and you instead stay and kill any chance the team has of improving. That doesn't sound like a nice place to be in.

11Bryan McCabe Empty May be moving after all... Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:54 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

DashRiprock wrote:

I have my doubts about McCabe going anywhere. Just look at the Redden fiasco. If he did go I'm not really sure where. Weren't there rumblings for a long while about him wanting to go to the Islanders? Was that all bull?

Heard on the Fan 590 this morning on the way to work. There is speculation, nothing confirmed, that a deal has been worked out to trade McCabe to an eastern confernce team... NOT in NY state.

... I know this sounds like an Eklund rumor because there are no details, but I actually did hear this this morning so make of it what you will.

... I would really doubt the deal is with the Sens though Smile

12Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:03 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Aetherial wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:

Heard on the Fan 590 this morning on the way to work. There is speculation, nothing confirmed, that a deal has been worked out to trade McCabe to an eastern confernce team... NOT in NY state.

... I know this sounds like an Eklund rumor because there are no details, but I actually did hear this this morning so make of it what you will.

... I would really doubt the deal is with the Sens though Smile

I read that this morning somewhere... and I have to agree, I doubt it's with the Sens, even though if he (McCabe) does NOT want to relocate his family, Ottawa is awfully close by...
Who would that leave? Montreal? Boston? to name a few?
Also, what's McCabe making? $5.75 or something like that? Ottawa can't fit that in, or rather they could but there'd be no wiggle room whatsoever...

13Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:13 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:
I read that this morning somewhere... and I have to agree, I doubt it's with the Sens, even though if he (McCabe) does NOT want to relocate his family, Ottawa is awfully close by...
Also, what's McCabe making? $5.75 or something like that? Ottawa can't fit that in, or rather they could but there'd be no wiggle room whatsoever...

Ottawa would be a shock. I don't see Pittsburgh or Tampa happening despite what Ek says. I wonder about some teams that nobody has mentioned...

Washington has cap issues, but how about Fedorov or Laich (no idea of the contract status of Fedorov)

Carolina has some cap room... maybe Chad LaRose and a pick?

Buffalo has cap room, close to Toronto... Adam Mair or Dan Paile and a pick?

14Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:29 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Aetherial wrote:
Cronenbergfan wrote:

Ottawa would be a shock. I don't see Pittsburgh or Tampa happening despite what Ek says. I wonder about some teams that nobody has mentioned...

Washington has cap issues, but how about Fedorov or Laich (no idea of the contract status of Fedorov)

Carolina has some cap room... maybe Chad LaRose and a pick?

Buffalo has cap room, close to Toronto... Adam Mair or Dan Paile and a pick?

Good points. I assumed Buffalo was out, as the rumor that was stated on The Fan 590 indicated it was not in NY state.

Carolina I could see, and really Chad LaRose could do wonder for the Leafs, and a change of scenery may help him as well.

15Bryan McCabe Empty Re: Bryan McCabe Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

Cronenbergfan wrote:

Good points. I assumed Buffalo was out, as the rumor that was stated on The Fan 590 indicated it was not in NY state.

Carolina I could see, and really Chad LaRose could do wonder for the Leafs, and a change of scenery may help him as well.

To be fair, I can't remember if they said out of NY State or if they said something like not one of the NY City area teams.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum