GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonchar to Ottawa

+24
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Hoags
dennycrane
Devo
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
SensHulk
SDH89
shabbs
wprager
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Ev
asq2
SensGirl11
Sens4thecup
Riprock
PKC
PTFlea
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 20]

241Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm not so sure we need Kuba. I think the need we have is for a Sutton type of player which is why I would think they should try to move Kuba to obtain that kind of player.

If you can move Kuba to add a player like Savard, and then replace Kuba with a Sutton-esque guy for about $1 mil less, then sure, do it. I just don't see BOS biting on Kuba, when everything suggests that BOS would not want much in terms of cap dollars coming back.

Savard is a big piece and won't come for cheap. Kuba is what he is -- decent, serviceable, but older and with an upside of about 35 points or so. He fills a common need, but that's it. BOS will not trade Savard for that, as other teams (including TOR) could and would offer more than that.

If OTT is serious about getting Savard, I think it would be more like Foligno+. Say, Foligno + one of our D prospects, or Foligno + our 1st next year + a lesser prospect. Something like that.

Given OTT's and BOS's cap situation and needs, I'm not sure I see a deal that works for both sides here. We don't have the room to take on $4 mil more in salary, especially once the dust settles with our RFAs, and BOS isn't about to give away the centrepiece of their offensive attack for just decent parts.

I didn't mean to give the impression I was advocating for the Boston proposal mentioned. All I was trying to say was we need a Sutton type D man more than we need Kuba right now.

242Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm not so sure we need Kuba. I think the need we have is for a Sutton type of player which is why I would think they should try to move Kuba to obtain that kind of player.

If you can move Kuba to add a player like Savard, and then replace Kuba with a Sutton-esque guy for about $1 mil less, then sure, do it. I just don't see BOS biting on Kuba, when everything suggests that BOS would not want much in terms of cap dollars coming back.

Savard is a big piece and won't come for cheap. Kuba is what he is -- decent, serviceable, but older and with an upside of about 35 points or so. He fills a common need, but that's it. BOS will not trade Savard for that, as other teams (including TOR) could and would offer more than that.

If OTT is serious about getting Savard, I think it would be more like Foligno+. Say, Foligno + one of our D prospects, or Foligno + our 1st next year + a lesser prospect. Something like that.

Given OTT's and BOS's cap situation and needs, I'm not sure I see a deal that works for both sides here. We don't have the room to take on $4 mil more in salary, especially once the dust settles with our RFAs, and BOS isn't about to give away the centrepiece of their offensive attack for just decent parts.

I didn't mean to give the impression I was advocating for the Boston proposal mentioned. All I was trying to say was we need a Sutton type D man more than we need Kuba right now.

Edit: I believe that a Sutton type D can fill in for the ES minutes, 2nd unit PK minutes. Campoli can fill in for the 2nd unit PP minutes.

243Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:21 am

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

I think the sens will seriously look within the organization for physicality, and that would mean one of Cowen or Gryba. If we plucked out another d-man for physicality purposes, I really don't see us getting anyone under the age of 32. In free agency, its either Sutton or Willie Mitchell.

Very few teams would trade a young physical d-man, especially for Kuba. Right now, Kuba, Phillips, Gonchar are all > 30 yrs. 3 of these guys make up our top 4 right now. If we're to get someone physical, it might as well be Gryba or Cowen, and trade Kuba for pics/forwards. Just don't want any more pluggers, our management might as well start honing the skills of one of our young d-men.

244Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Get Willie Mitchell on a 1 year, 2 million dollar contract (ha ha) and if he's healthy, you've signed two of the most effective D-men this off-season in Mitchell and the Gonch.

That said, I'm pretty sure Mitchell's noodle is messed up from taking too many knocks to the head.

245Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

he's a lefty too, so it could work, but I doubt someone like him agrees to only a one year deal. I wouldn't be opposed to that though if we can get rid of Kuba for someone worthwhile.

246Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Get Willie Mitchell on a 1 year, 2 million dollar contract (ha ha) and if he's healthy, you've signed two of the most effective D-men this off-season in Mitchell and the Gonch.

That said, I'm pretty sure Mitchell's noodle is messed up from taking too many knocks to the head.

I'd take a chance on Mitchell. That would make moving Kuba a possibility.

Still, if you're BOS or any other team, you're thinking the same -- and that's why you'd sign Mitchell or Sutton for less money than Kuba makes, and not lose any assets in the process.

I still think Kuba is more valuable to us than people are suggesting here. He may well thrive in the #3/4 role, which fits him better. He was always miscast when he was depended on as a quasi #1.

I would not be disappointed at all if we keep him.

247Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:40 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Get Willie Mitchell on a 1 year, 2 million dollar contract (ha ha) and if he's healthy, you've signed two of the most effective D-men this off-season in Mitchell and the Gonch.

I'd take a chance on Mitchell. That would make moving Kuba a possibility.

Still, if you're BOS or any other team, you're thinking the same -- and that's why you'd sign Mitchell or Sutton for less money than Kuba makes, and not lose any assets in the process.

I still think Kuba is more valuable to us than people are suggesting here. He may well thrive in the #3/4 role, which fits him better. He was always miscast when he was depended on as a quasi #1.

I do agree with this. He won't be depended as the go to offensive guy anymore, and could prove to be even better defensively. Still, he's a big body that's not physical at all, and I think that's what the sens really want. I don't think there's a rush though, management might as well see what its like with this group during the season. Its not like we HAVE to trade Kuba before the start of the season.

248Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:he's a lefty too, so it could work, but I doubt someone like him agrees to only a one year deal. I wouldn't be opposed to that though if we can get rid of Kuba for someone worthwhile.

He doesn't have a choice on the 1-year deal. His concussion problems are severe, he may not even play again, so it's a HIGH risk/reward for whoever has the stones to sign him.

That said, he's a very, very good shutdown defender.

249Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

Me neither. The question right now is: are we tough enough on the backend? Even with Cowen coming in soon and maybe Gryba as well, they lack the knowledge of the pro game and might struggle to maintain positioning while trying to be physical.

Weird scenario IMO. Last year we were tough as nails, this year, with the loss of A-Train and Sutton, we're not so much.

250Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Me neither. The question right now is: are we tough enough on the backend? Even with Cowen coming in soon and maybe Gryba as well, they lack the knowledge of the pro game and might struggle to maintain positioning while trying to be physical.

Weird scenario IMO. Last year we were tough as nails, this year, with the loss of A-Train and Sutton, we're not so much.

You don't need to be too tough if you can move the puck out of your zone as soon as it enters right?

- Unknown Author

251Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
You don't need to be too tough if you can move the puck out of your zone as soon as it enters right?

Yes and no though. There would inevitably be calls for a 'crease-clearer' by December. Carkner can do it, but he won't play that much.

252Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Yes and no though. There would inevitably be calls for a 'crease-clearer' by December. Carkner can do it, but he won't play that much.

Well, we still have Phillips. There will be a shortage of crease-clearing when it comes to that middle pair, tho -- Kuba and Karlsson.

253Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would rather have a guy like Mitchell on the second line than Kuba. The Canucks were'nt the same team without Mitchell in the line-up. He is a great leader and physical, shut-down guy. Much better option than Sutton, too. He was in the running for the "C" before they gave it to Luongo (which they will probably take away this year).

Having a top 4 of Phillips, Gonchar, Mitchell, and Karlsson would be ideal, but I have no idea if Murray would take a chance on him.

254Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Well, we still have Phillips. There will be a shortage of crease-clearing when it comes to that middle pair, tho -- Kuba and Karlsson.

1 (quasi) crease-clearer in the top 4 isn't optimum, but this is a transition year for us. I doubt we do anything about it until the deadline.

255Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:10 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I guess the hope is they won't be constantly in a position where they have to clear the crease. We went to the Finals with Redden, Meszaros, Corvo and Preissing as our bottom-4 and it only bit us when we went up against maybe the toughest team ever assembled post-lock-out.

Kuba and Karlsson was a very effective tandem for us in early 2010. I don't think it's the end of the world if we have to go with that pairing next season.

256Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i agree that i'd be relieved a bit if we got another D-man like sutton in the line-up with NHL experience. but only on a 1 year deal. ease in one of our young d-man durring the year and maybe trade Kuba at the dealine?

257Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:31 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:i agree that i'd be relieved a bit if we got another D-man like sutton in the line-up with NHL experience. but only on a 1 year deal. ease in one of our young d-man durring the year and maybe trade Kuba at the dealine?

I would suggest that we leave it alone for now and see where we're at by the deadline - basically because we don't know how Cowen or Gryba are gonna fair in training camp - and through the first couple of months, we'll need to evaluate where this team is, what the weaknesses are etc.

258Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 17 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I'm more than convinced Cowen is here to stay, and when they (management) got Rundblad I think their mindset is that, Cowen is gonna play PK most of the time and gonna be paired with an offensive guy in the future (K, W or R) so they don't really need him to be an offensive juggernaut.
I think with his shot and the way he skates, he can still develop well in the big league. If the Sens play well as a group that is, which I think they will undoubtedly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum