GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gonchar to Ottawa

+24
TheAvatar
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
stempniaksen
Hoags
dennycrane
Devo
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
SensHulk
SDH89
shabbs
wprager
LeCaptain
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
beerandsens
Ev
asq2
SensGirl11
Sens4thecup
Riprock
PKC
PTFlea
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 20]

271Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:47 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:
Second on the team with 2:54 per game on the PK, behind Jordan Staal at 3:20.

That's much higher than I thought. Much higher, wow. I thought he'd be hovering around 1:20.

272Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:47 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

12.01% of Gonchar's shifts from last year were PK shifts.

The guy he just replaced, Anton Volchenkov: 13.25% of his total shifts were on the PK.

273Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:
Second on the team with 2:54 per game on the PK, behind Jordan Staal at 3:20.

That's much higher than I thought. Much higher, wow. I thought he'd be hovering around 1:20.

He also played 24:23 per game last season. Which was ~2:30 more than anyone else on the team. The season before he played 25:11. The season before that 25:54.

The guy's a thoroughbred. I suspect though, given Clouston's tendency to distribute playing time more evenly, his ice time will come down slightly.

274Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Of course Gonchar plays on the 1st Unit PK, he is a N1 defenseman. I've said that from the beginning when some were saying he is average defensively. Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 489887

275Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

La Femme wrote:Of course Gonchar plays on the 1st Unit PK, he is a N1 defenseman. I've said that from the beginning when some were saying he is average defensively. Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 489887

BUMP

276Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Nice bump. Looking awfully bad right now.

277Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I admit I was very enthousiastic about inking Gonchar. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet as I believe he could rebound... and if he does, please trade him! there's not really a need for him on a rebuilding team. maybe we can send him to WSH in return for Poti's contract(dump) and colorado's 1st rounder... Sarcasm Dare to dream.

278Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:12 pm

HEH! This is my favorite thread.

How's everyone been? It's been awhile.

279Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:HEH! This is my favorite thread.

haha, the one time you and I don't think analogously and you turn out to be totally right. Dammit!

TBH, though, I think I'm at the point where I've accepted this season and stopped thinking of what-ifs. I'm just hoping that everything works out for the best in the end, which it definitely has the potential to do.

Also Gonchar's lousiness this season has been a lot less surprising for me than last.

Going back to the 2010-2011 season, there were a lot of times where I was thinking "should I have been able to predict this?" And I couldn't see how. Although clearly you were able to predict Gonchar's poor play and a lot of others (mostly from other fanbases) predicted we'd be bad. But I kind of internally dismissed the latter as uneducated opinion. Grumbling

Honestly so many players and even the coaching staff took such unanticipated nose-dives. I mean surely some would say Phillips would regress without Volchy but we Sens fans knew that when he played with Meszaros or Lee he looked as good as ever and their performances went way up. And Clouston wasn't the best coach in the world but we had a pretty darn good record under him for the past season and a half. Regin suddenly disappeared -- I guess we should have seen a sophomore slump coming but he was a 24-year-old with pretty substantial pro experience and had looked awesome in the playoffs and in the World Championships after that.

I could go on but I think the main point is that we made some risky moves (that obviously didn't work out) like Kovalev and Gonchar, but a lot of evidence suggested that we had a strong enough foundation in place to afford taking a risk or two.

Now we've got a team that's a mix of mostly younger players with a few veterans, which is a good thing for younger players' development, although Gonchar is certainly not setting a good example in-game. We're also above the cap-floor so I guess that's a positive. Mostly though we're getting a chance to focus on developing our young kids properly (rather than focusing on winning NHL games) and we're getting a chance at a high pick in a draft that looks like it has a really, really strong top-end.

I mean it's not the ideal situation but the only way this can go badly is if Jason "I dominate in low-pressure situations" Spezza decides to turn it on in the last month. :crossarms:

280Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:55 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

HA!

281Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

De-bump

282Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:18 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

hemlock wrote:HEH! This is my favorite thread.

Still your favorite thread?

283Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Gonchar on pace for 58 points.

Just shows how bad Clouston handled him last year.

284Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bust

285Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

jokes! he has been excellent.

286Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

he made some lazy plays last night, but yeah looks leaps and bounds better than he was at the start of the season.

Something about the way he skates...like his arms stiffen up and don't really move and he just moves his little legs.....kinda funny to look at it actually Lalalala

287Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:22 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:he made some lazy plays last night, but yeah looks leaps and bounds better than he was at the start of the season.

Something about the way he skates...like his arms stiffen up and don't really move and he just moves his little legs.....kinda funny to look at it actually Lalalala

I think I know which play you are talking about. It was the icing in the 3rd period and even I said "why the hell isn't he hustling back". Then I took a look and there was an open man to the right of Anderson, if Gonchar loses that race, best case scenario is a fantastic scoring chance for the Canes, worst and most likely with no Sen around, the Cane scores that goal. Gonchar let the Hurricane player win the race and he played it like he should have. In all honesty, that was a fanstic play, just shows you how well some players think the game. A younger player may go balls out there, lose, and then it's a 2 on 0 down low.

288Gonchar to Ottawa - Page 19 Empty Re: Gonchar to Ottawa Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Michallica wrote:he made some lazy plays last night, but yeah looks leaps and bounds better than he was at the start of the season.

I think I know which play you are talking about. It was the icing in the 3rd period and even I said "why the hell isn't he hustling back". Then I took a look and there was an open man to the right of Anderson, if Gonchar loses that race, best case scenario is a fantastic scoring chance for the Canes, worst and most likely with no Sen around, the Cane scores that goal. Gonchar let the Hurricane player win the race and he played it like he should have. In all honesty, that was a fanstic play, just shows you how well some players think the game. A younger player may go balls out there, lose, and then it's a 2 on 0 down low.

Yeah that's one of them. I don't remember a cane player being to the right of anderson but the camera focus is on Gonch. I'd agree with you but gonchar was ahead of the canes' player though. The cane's player just outhustled him. It did look like gonchar was looking elsewhere so you might be right, however I still think he coulda beat the other guy and got that icing call...I mean he was already ahead!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum