GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait

+8
The Silfer Server
PKC
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
TheAvatar
asq2
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

I wouldn't mind Sourray (altough I enjoyed it when he played for the habs)Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait - Page 2 54934

But I don't think I could turn down a deal of lets say:
Sourray for Cheechoo and Lee.

Phoenix30 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I would personally think Souray would bounce back, he's been too good for too long offensively to just fade away. Then think about Alfie and Souray on the point. Literally everything changes. As for where he'd play...with Karlsson please. Kuba can move down and play with Carkner.

But yeah, we just don't have the $$ to do it.

As for Moreau, only if they take Cheechoo.

Souray also adds some grit to the defence and isnt afraid to drop the gloves. Moreau is added heart and leadership to a team and the Oilers will truely miss his leadership when he is gone. You add those guys along with a little skill and this team is truely a contender. The question is where do you get the added forward skill.

He's also injury prone and not the most defensive of defensemen. Mind you, his shot from the blueline on the PP would be a HUGE lift for the team.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I would personally think Souray would bounce back, he's been too good for too long offensively to just fade away. Then think about Alfie and Souray on the point. Literally everything changes. As for where he'd play...with Karlsson please. Kuba can move down and play with Carkner.

Souray also adds some grit to the defence and isnt afraid to drop the gloves. Moreau is added heart and leadership to a team and the Oilers will truely miss his leadership when he is gone. You add those guys along with a little skill and this team is truely a contender. The question is where do you get the added forward skill.

The goaltending is too much of a question mark to make us a serious contender IMO, and we don't really have a lot of room up front. Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Fisher, Kovalev and Foligno I would say is the top-6 when everyone's healthy (Shannon, Regin and Foligno are I guess interchangeable for that title). After those six guys, you've got Shannon, Regin, Neil, Kelly, Winchester and Ruutu who I'd say are staples to the line-up.

That's 12 forwards just there, and on top of that you've got Cheechoo and Donovan as veterans, and Zack Smith as a very capable young guy in the mix.
I don't see how Moreau is enough of an upgrade to not only cost us assets to acquire, but also to push someone out of the line-up. Of those 12 guys, who do you sit for Mr. Moreau? I'm not sure I'd even keep him in the line-up over Smith. I think it reeks of the Martin Lapointe deal, which did absolutely nothing for us.

I'll echo Hem's sentiments (as always) and say that it's pretty pointless to do anything when there are so many question marks and the cap is as it is. Adding Souray, for example, means that you can not only kiss Volchenkov goodbye, but also kiss goodbye any opportunity to replace the A-Train with the Zbynek Zbus.

I'd rather just ride this team out. At the very least, it'll be valuable experience for Karlsson.

Well said. Unless there's a way to get rid of a few contracts - some of which I don't even want to anymore - I can't really see how Souray can happen.

Again, for me, the only way Moreau comes to the Sens is if we trade problem for problem in Cheechoo for Moreau. The buyout on Moreau (if need be) is obviously less than it would be for Cheechoo.

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

The goaltending is too much of a question mark to make us a serious contender IMO, and we don't really have a lot of room up front. Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson, Fisher, Kovalev and Foligno I would say is the top-6 when everyone's healthy (Shannon, Regin and Foligno are I guess interchangeable for that title). After those six guys, you've got Shannon, Regin, Neil, Kelly, Winchester and Ruutu who I'd say are staples to the line-up.

That's 12 forwards just there, and on top of that you've got Cheechoo and Donovan as veterans, and Zack Smith as a very capable young guy in the mix.
I don't see how Moreau is enough of an upgrade to not only cost us assets to acquire, but also to push someone out of the line-up. Of those 12 guys, who do you sit for Mr. Moreau? I'm not sure I'd even keep him in the line-up over Smith. I think it reeks of the Martin Lapointe deal, which did absolutely nothing for us.

I'll echo Hem's sentiments (as always) and say that it's pretty pointless to do anything when there are so many question marks and the cap is as it is. Adding Souray, for example, means that you can not only kiss Volchenkov goodbye, but also kiss goodbye any opportunity to replace the A-Train with the Zbynek Zbus.

I'd rather just ride this team out. At the very least, it'll be valuable experience for Karlsson.

Well said. Unless there's a way to get rid of a few contracts - some of which I don't even want to anymore - I can't really see how Souray can happen.

Again, for me, the only way Moreau comes to the Sens is if we trade problem for problem in Cheechoo for Moreau. The buyout on Moreau (if need be) is obviously less than it would be for Cheechoo.

Another point to consider about Moreau is that he's missed roughly 140 games (if my math is correct) since Oct 06. That's a ton of games to be missing. This guy makes Gaborik look like Cal Ripken! Even a healthy Moreau isn't a guy making a real difference to us imo. A broken down version is potentially much worse, and it would cost us assets. I'll take a huge pass.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Why are we even talking about that clown Moreau. Murray needs to find a way to get Souray and Whitney on this team and let that Dung take care of itself.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Another point to consider about Moreau is that he's missed roughly 140 games (if my math is correct) since Oct 06. That's a ton of games to be missing. This guy makes Gaborik look like Cal Ripken! Even a healthy Moreau isn't a guy making a real difference to us imo. A broken down version is potentially much worse, and it would cost us assets. I'll take a huge pass.

An asset named Cheechoo?

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

An asset named Cheechoo?

Imo, it's a sideways move at best. Granted Cheechoo has an extra year, but still. I understand the wanting to get rid of Cheechoo, but bringing back someone like Moreau doesn't really do anything for us, and more importantly, doesn't do a damn thing for Edmonton. Why would they trade away their captain for a guy like Cheechoo, who they'd have to be on the hook longer for? I'd say a Cheechoo for Moreau straight up deal is about as likely as Derek Boogaard winning a Richard trophy (longest active goal scoring drought in the NHL).

hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

An asset named Cheechoo?

Imo, it's a sideways move at best. Granted Cheechoo has an extra year, but still. I understand the wanting to get rid of Cheechoo, but bringing back someone like Moreau doesn't really do anything for us, and more importantly, doesn't do a damn thing for Edmonton. Why would they trade away their captain for a guy like Cheechoo, who they'd have to be on the hook longer for? I'd say a Cheechoo for Moreau straight up deal is about as likely as Derek Boogaard winning a Richard trophy (longest active goal scoring drought in the NHL).

On the topic of Maurice Richard trophies didn't Cheechoo win one? I guess anything is possible....

All jokes aside, I agree. This would be nothing more than a lateral move. Cheechoo and Moreau are signed for the same length btw. Both contracts end after next season. I'd be okay keeping Cheechoo. $1 million isn't a huge deal. If we're going to trade Cheechoo I rather it be for a pick so we could get him off the roster and let Smith or someone with more upside have a chance.

Kovalfie wrote:
hemlock wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:

An asset named Cheechoo?

On the topic of Maurice Richard trophies didn't Cheechoo win one? I guess anything is possible....

All jokes aside, I agree. This would be nothing more than a lateral move. Cheechoo and Moreau are signed for the same length btw. Both contracts end after next season. I'd be okay keeping Cheechoo. $1 million isn't a huge deal. If we're going to trade Cheechoo I rather it be for a pick so we could get him off the roster and let Smith or someone with more upside have a chance.

Like I mentioned yesterday, Doug Wilson literally couldn't give Cheechoo away. I don't think we could find a team to give us even a 7th for him. As far as trade value goes, I think Cheechoo's is in the negative, and I'm one of the ones who has cut him alot of slack in Ottawa.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'll put it this way. I'd rather have Moreau than Cheechoo... But, I'd rather have neither of them than either of them.

Bass Destruction wrote:I'll put it this way. I'd rather have Moreau than Cheechoo... But, I'd rather have neither of them than either of them.

But this whole thing is moot. There isn't one good reason for Edmonton to assume Cheechoo's contract unless we spice up the deal, which I am violently opposed to. Unless it's something like Cheechoo and Campoli for Moreau and a decent pick, I want no part of this filth.

hemlock wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:I'll put it this way. I'd rather have Moreau than Cheechoo... But, I'd rather have neither of them than either of them.

But this whole thing is moot. There isn't one good reason for Edmonton to assume Cheechoo's contract unless we spice up the deal, which I am violently opposed to. Unless it's something like Cheechoo and Campoli for Moreau and a decent pick, I want no part of this filth.

The Leafs took on salary to get picks/prospects. I wonder if the Oilers would be willing to do the same. What would we be willing to give up to get Cheechoo off the books? Lee? Campoli?

We're probably better off buying-out Cheechoo in the summer. That being said, if we did trade for Moreau we would keep him around next year. Is it worth spending $1.5 million for nothing on Cheechoo's buy out next year or paying $2 million for Moreau?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:

They both have a year left on their contracts, Cheechoo for 3 million, Moreau for 2 million. Neither is doing much, Edmonton might want to change it up a bit.

Kovalfie wrote:
hemlock wrote:

The Leafs took on salary to get picks/prospects. I wonder if the Oilers would be willing to do the same. What would we be willing to give up to get Cheechoo off the books? Lee? Campoli?

We're probably better off buying-out Cheechoo in the summer. That being said, if we did trade for Moreau we would keep him around next year. Is it worth spending $1.5 million for nothing on Cheechoo's buy out next year or paying $2 million for Moreau?

Well, Cheechoo's buyout would be $1 million per over two seasons, not $1.5 over one year. At least as far as I understand. And whether or not it's worth having Moreau instead, that really depends on how healthy he is. Like I said, he's missed 140 or so games in the past 4 seasons, including this one. That's quite a bit. If he gets injured, we are wasting cap space on nothing since Murray is apparently allergic to LTIR.

And for the record, yes, I'd be willing to ship out Campoli or Lee in this deal if it meant getting a 2nd or 3rd back.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How about we ship Spezza to Edmonton for their first? Sarcasm

- Unknown Author

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Kovalfie wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Good call... maybe we can give Cheechoo and eiher Lee or Campoli for Pisani or maybe even Comrie( Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait - Page 2 159628 ). Both are in their final years. If we get Comrie, we need to convince him we are going to sign him, and then just not. It'll be fun, for old time's sake.

Freeing up that roster spot would be worth it, as we can then give it to Smith next year, when we don't re-sign Donovan.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about we ship Spezza to Edmonton for their first? Sarcasm

Talk about laying an N4L carrot out there. Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait - Page 2 270956

If that first is the first overall, yes please.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about we ship Spezza to Edmonton for their first? Sarcasm

Talk about laying an N4L carrot out there. Anaheim and Ottawa interested in Edmonton trade bait - Page 2 270956

If that first is the first overall, yes please.

Just trying to help him with his will to type despite his flu.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum