GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trades in the East 2009-10: Who Pulls the Trigger Next?

+8
wprager
PKC
Riprock
beedub
LeCaptain
PTFlea
asq2
davetherave
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:Pothier was a guy who I thought was effective as a 5-6 defenceman for us, and who seems to have recovered nicely from his injuries.

In a jam, I'd be alright with re-signing him (for a reduced price), but it's definitely not the top-4 defenceman we need.

Same problem with Pothier as Foster in reality. We have a nice 5, 6 combo, can he play top 4? Probably not.

@Spez> if you're looking at a 'tweak' specifically for the Senators, when looking at this list, you're probably not looking for a Top 4 guy...rather someone to stabilize the 5/6 pairing or add something to special teams and who doesn't tie you up long term.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:Pothier was a guy who I thought was effective as a 5-6 defenceman for us, and who seems to have recovered nicely from his injuries.

In a jam, I'd be alright with re-signing him (for a reduced price), but it's definitely not the top-4 defenceman we need.

Same problem with Pothier as Foster in reality. We have a nice 5, 6 combo, can he play top 4? Probably not.

@Spez> if you're looking at a 'tweak' specifically for the Senators, when looking at this list, you're probably not looking for a Top 4 guy...rather someone to stabilize the 5/6 pairing or add something to special teams and who doesn't tie you up long term.

Then it's got to be a forward as Murray originally suggested IF he actually means a tweak because our 5/6 pairing is rock solid with Carkner and Picard. Carkner fills in admirably on the PK with A-Train out and is not a liability defensively. Picard has 2 goals and 10 assists on the bottom pair and has looked quite good paired with Carkner.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:
After having seen the ups and downs (mainly downs lately) that Luke Schenn has gone through, I'm not sure I want to see Cowen come up and play full time that soon.

I think the Sens have the luxury of developing him properly which might mean an extra year in the A to learn the ins and outs of the professional game.

Yeah, that's quite true. Although Schenn didn't go back to his junior team or AHL team like Cowen, so Cowen's getting an extra year as 'the man' on his team. This is going to be hotly debated in the coming months and especially into the summer. Should Cowen play NHL hockey next year or would the Sens be rushing him a little? No one on here can answer that, we can guess - and I think he could be really effective now personally, but no one can say for sure.

If we resign VOlchenkov I would be comfortable giving Cowen another year. It`s not like we are short on D, they will probably resign Picard and Karlsson will be here full time.

It may not be the next trade but I think Ottawa pulls the trigger sometime soon and trades Picard and Campoli to Chicago for Barker. This trade just makes too much sense for both sides. Chicago needs to off-load a player because of salary, and if they can get two defencemen back who can somewhat replace Barker then both sides win. Ottawa needs a top-four defenceman and has the defensive depth to spare. Chicago can decide to re-sign Campoli and/or Picard as they please next year as they don't have much in terms of prospects for defencemen and won't cost the Hawks much. If they sign both players to $1 million contracts and somehow clear out Sopel then they save over $3 million and have a pretty decent defence. This would leave Chicago with: Campbell, Keith, Seabrooke, Picard, Campoli, and Hjalmarsson. This leaves Lee in the minors to develop and also allows Cowen a year or two to develop in the minors as well.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

How much better is Barker than Picard, in your estimation? $2 million better?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:It may not be the next trade but I think Ottawa pulls the trigger sometime soon and trades Picard and Campoli to Chicago for Barker. This trade just makes too much sense for both sides. Chicago needs to off-load a player because of salary, and if they can get two defencemen back who can somewhat replace Barker then both sides win. Ottawa needs a top-four defenceman and has the defensive depth to spare. Chicago can decide to re-sign Campoli and/or Picard as they please next year as they don't have much in terms of prospects for defencemen and won't cost the Hawks much. If they sign both players to $1 million contracts and somehow clear out Sopel then they save over $3 million and have a pretty decent defence. This would leave Chicago with: Campbell, Keith, Seabrooke, Picard, Campoli, and Hjalmarsson. This leaves Lee in the minors to develop and also allows Cowen a year or two to develop in the minors as well.

Pure fantasy.

Nothing Murray has ever done in the trade market supports the idea of him taking on a young d-man with a $3MM contract.

Close to it. At this pace Picard will be due for a somewhat substantial raise. Maybe to the $1.75-2.25 million mark at the end of the year. Then you have to ask yourself if he's $1 million better and I think the answer to that is yes.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

just a few conversation starters from our good friend over "there"...

- Kovalchuk to NAS or NYI?
- S. Koivu/Selanne to East?
- E. Staal & pick to EDM for Cogliano, Grebeshkov
- Plekanec to CAR for Boychuk or Bowman

Obviously considering source, you could easily dismiss all these, but for the sake of killing time, which I have...

- can't see Koivu getting traded since he just signed in Anaheim and Burke is no longer in charge.
- Staal is too pricey, even for Edmonton I think
- Kovalchuk is obviously a guy that is highly likely to be traded if he is not re-signed soon.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:E. Staal & pick to EDM for Cogliano, Grebeshkov

Trades in the East 2009-10: Who Pulls the Trigger Next? - Page 3 270956

Also, why wouldn't Kovy re-sign? He's got children (or maybe just one child) in Atlanta schools, the team is prepared to throw unbelievably amounts of money at him, and the Thrashers are turning into a damn fine team.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Name Dropper mentions that veterans will be jettisoned from Anaheim and Carolina in the near term.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:Close to it. At this pace Picard will be due for a somewhat substantial raise. Maybe to the $1.75-2.25 million mark at the end of the year. Then you have to ask yourself if he's $1 million better and I think the answer to that is yes.

If Bryan Murray wants to re-sign Volchenkov, as tight as the Senators are against the cap and with seven pending RFAs, why would he take on Barker's $3MM?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper mentions that veterans will be jettisoned from Anaheim and Carolina in the near term.

haha there you go, Staal for Koivu and Selanne Trades in the East 2009-10: Who Pulls the Trigger Next? - Page 3 489887

I agree that Barker doesn't make a lot of sense.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper mentions that veterans will be jettisoned from Anaheim and Carolina in the near term.

haha there you go, Staal for Koivu and Selanne Trades in the East 2009-10: Who Pulls the Trigger Next? - Page 3 489887

Not Staal so much but certainly Salami and the Wizard from Carolina. Maybe Giguere?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

For your in-season shopping lists, notable ‘tweaks’ and some high ticket items among pending Western Conference UFAs :

ANA: Scott Niedermayer. Selanne, Koivu, Artyukhin, Boynton, Brookbank, Hiller

CGY: Jokinen, Rene Bourque, Conroy, Eric Nystrom, Aaron Johnson

CHI: Madden, Burish

CLB: Modin, Torres

COL: Tucker, Svatos, Koci, Brett Clark, Salei

DAL: Modano, Lehtinen, Ott, Barch, Turco, Auld

DET: Holmstrom, Draper, Bertuzzi, Jason Williams, Maltby, Brad May, Lebda

EDM: Pisani, Comrie, Strudwick

LAK: Frolov, Ivanans, Sean O’Donnell, Randy Jones

MIN: Owen Nolan, Eric Belanger, Sykora, Boogaard, Kim Johnsson, Zidlicky, Hnidy

NAS: Tootoo, Hamhuis, Bouillon, Dan Ellis, Rinne

PHX : Lombardi, Lang, Taylor Pyatt, Aucoin, Zbynek Michalek

SJS: Marleau, McGinn, Scott Nichol, Shelley, Malhotra, Ortmeyer, Nabokov

STL: Kariya, Tkachuk, Brad Winchester, Colaiacovo, Sydor, Chris Mason

VAN: Demitra, Wellwood, Ryan Johnson, Willie Mitchell, Mathieu Schneider, Raycroft

Complete list of pending UFAs, and cap numbers for all these players, here: http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?team=none&pos=none&summer=2010&status=ufa&type=capnumber

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

You're right. There's a regret there that we didn't get Foster in the off-season, but you're right, this isn't the kind of tweak we need.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

davetherave wrote:For your in-season shopping lists, notable ‘tweaks’ and some high ticket items among pending Western Conference UFAs :

ANA: Scott Niedermayer. Selanne, Koivu, Artyukhin, Boynton, Brookbank, Hiller

CGY: Jokinen, Rene Bourque, Conroy, Eric Nystrom, Aaron Johnson

CHI: Madden, Burish

CLB: Modin, Torres

COL: Tucker, Svatos, Koci, Brett Clark, Salei

DAL: Modano, Lehtinen, Ott, Barch, Turco, Auld

DET: Holmstrom, Draper, Bertuzzi, Jason Williams, Maltby, Brad May, Lebda

EDM: Pisani, Comrie, Strudwick

LAK: Frolov, Ivanans, Sean O’Donnell, Randy Jones

MIN: Owen Nolan, Eric Belanger, Sykora, Boogaard, Kim Johnsson, Zidlicky, Hnidy

NAS: Tootoo, Hamhuis, Bouillon, Dan Ellis, Rinne

PHX : Lombardi, Lang, Taylor Pyatt, Aucoin, Zbynek Michalek

SJS: Marleau, McGinn, Scott Nichol, Shelley, Malhotra, Ortmeyer, Nabokov

STL: Kariya, Tkachuk, Brad Winchester, Colaiacovo, Sydor, Chris Mason

VAN: Demitra, Wellwood, Ryan Johnson, Willie Mitchell, Mathieu Schneider, Raycroft

Complete list of pending UFAs, and cap numbers for all these players, here: [url=http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?team=none&pos=none&summer=2010&status=ufa&type=capnumber
http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?team=none&pos=none&summer=2010&status=ufa&type=capnumber[/quote[/url]]

I'll take a few of these guys for sure.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Do we sign Comrie again?? !!! !@!? Trades in the East 2009-10: Who Pulls the Trigger Next? - Page 3 235689

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum