GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner!

+21
sens4win
Bramlet07
Riprock
ddt
Hoags
LeCaptain
TeamRenzo
Sens19
Flo The Action
Tuk Tuk
SensGirl11
Jordo
wprager
PTFlea
SensFan71
asq2
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
beerandsens
shabbs
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Lehner may turn out to be our best pick in a long time. Better than Karlsson, even.

He might be the top prospect we have aside from Cowen. And he might even be more valuable because of the position he plays.

Fingers crossed as usual. Ahhhhh!

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

Yay Lehner!!! I'm sooooo excited about him, I can't wait to see him in Sens colors.

Is he back from the flu yet?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:Yay Lehner!!! I'm sooooo excited about him, I can't wait to see him in Sens colors.

Is he back from the flu yet?

Uh...yeah, he got a shutout last night. Ahhhhh!

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Lehner may have gotten the shut out, but he didnt need to work for it. This was the best the hounds played all year, Lehner only had one or two challenging shots. This makes up for the times he's stood on his head and the defense broke down, however Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner! - Page 3 Icon_wink

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:Excellent. Hope he likes how that feels and wants more.

So, realistically, does he skip the AHL next year? I don't think he needs any more "maturing" physically, and as a backup he does not need to be able to handle playing 65+ games in a season. If he skips the AHL, whom do we move?

I don't think so Prags. I think he spends the entire year next year in Bingo - hopefully leading them to the playoffs and hopefully playing well.

The big question is: does he play a 2nd year in Bingo, or does he come up to Ottawa to back-up (and probably challenge for starter)?

seriously i don't mind if he doesn't challenge for back-up for a few years. he's still 18 right? i don't mind if we sit on him till he's 22. i like leclaire and we might even get him at discount once his contract comes up. elliott is fine too. the only way i could see us bringinjg him up early is if elliott wanted a shot at becoming a number 1 somewhere else.

oh and about taking your AHL team all the way in the playoffs does not mean you're ready. case and point: carey price. that guy was not ready to face the hardship of the NHL. i don't want to live that episode here. mature, mature, mature... then become the second lunqvist! Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner! - Page 3 805406

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
seriously i don't mind if he doesn't challenge for back-up for a few years. he's still 18 right? i don't mind if we sit on him till he's 22. i like leclaire and we might even get him at discount once his contract comes up. elliott is fine too. the only way i could see us bringinjg him up early is if elliott wanted a shot at becoming a number 1 somewhere else.

oh and about taking your AHL team all the way in the playoffs does not mean you're ready. case and point: carey price. that guy was not ready to face the hardship of the NHL. i don't want to live that episode here. mature, mature, mature... then become the second lunqvist! Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner! - Page 3 805406

I agree, but at the same time, it's possible that Lehner learns everything he needs to learn this year and then next in the AHL in terms of getting seasoned for the NHL. It'll be a tough call if he continues to post strong numbers and have the work ethic and attitude needed to succeed.

My personal opinion means nothing, I have no idea if he should come up and back up Leclaire or Elliott - or if another season in the AHL would be better (I assume another year in the AHL can only be a good thing though).

What might make a difference is Leclaire would realize he's coming and ask for a multi-year deal - same with Elliott. Job security is always the number one priority.

Should be interesting when the time comes.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I agree, but at the same time, it's possible that Lehner learns everything he needs to learn this year and then next in the AHL in terms of getting seasoned for the NHL. It'll be a tough call if he continues to post strong numbers and have the work ethic and attitude needed to succeed.

My personal opinion means nothing, I have no idea if he should come up and back up Leclaire or Elliott - or if another season in the AHL would be better (I assume another year in the AHL can only be a good thing though).

What might make a difference is Leclaire would realize he's coming and ask for a multi-year deal - same with Elliott. Job security is always the number one priority.

Should be interesting when the time comes.

very good points.

this is my personal opinion and it might change as the season(s) go by: if leclaire were to ask for a good multi-year contract(say 3) i would give it to him counting it's reasonable money wise(3-3.5mill) given that he's oft injured he might be more inclined to take it.(also that ottawa is near his home of montreal, ad he's playing in a real hockey market)
then we keep elliott. IF lehner performs beyond expectations then i think a promotion to the nhl as back-up is feasable. in that case i would keep him for the few remaining years of leclaire's contract as back-up with the possibility of him being number 1 in leclaire's final year. that way we'd get a good chance to see what he's capable. in the event(god forbid) that he chokes, we can fall back on leclaire.
so basicaly re-sign elliott and leclaire after their contract and we can always trade elliott if lehner comes up(the way he's been playing, elliott, they're be many takers i'd imagine.

Lehner will be here before he hits 22, that's just IMO. The kid really looks like the real deal, I would put him ahead of Markstrom just based on his overall attitude and work ethic. What we saw from MArkstrom when things got tough last year at the WJC was disturbing to me, what we saw from Lehner when things go tough down in the Sault, he dropped the mits.

His competitivness and attitude will get him to Ottawa quicker then anything, tallent is something every goaltender in The NHL has.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

I think we have a good goalie tandem right now and wouldnt mind seeing Leclaire re-signed here, no need to rush Lehner even though I'm dying to see what he'll do for us

His dad is a really good coach if the result of his coaching is King Lundqvist, let's hope Real Estate listened to his dad

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Sens19 wrote:I think we have a good goalie tandem right now and wouldnt mind seeing Leclaire re-signed here, no need to rush Lehner even though I'm dying to see what he'll do for us

His dad is a really good coach if the result of his coaching is King Lundqvist, let's hope Real Estate listened to his dad
how often do kids listen to their parents? i'm sure to some degree of course. but i was listening to an interview with claude lemieux and he was saying that parents that have played in the nhl need an outside coaching for their kids because there's always a dregree of friction between them.
just pointing it out as interesting. i don't doubt that that lehner kid will be good... just don't need to rush him.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

Jordo wrote:Does anybody else think it's funny that Gustavsson is touted as being "the Monster" and so huge, when just about every other goalie in the league is the same size (or an inch shorter). I'm pretty sure the average height of goalies in the league is somewhere between 6'1 and 6'2, and Gustavsson is 6'3, 192. What's even funnier, is the fact that Justin Pogge- one they just got rid of, was the same size.

Perhaps even funnier, is the fact that we've got Lehner, who is 6'4, 220 lbs. Man, THAT guy is a monster. REAL ESTATE is such a great nick name for the guy.

I saw Gustavsson without his equip, he was a beanpole. I definitely don't see him as a "monster"

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
Sens19 wrote:I think we have a good goalie tandem right now and wouldnt mind seeing Leclaire re-signed here, no need to rush Lehner even though I'm dying to see what he'll do for us

how often do kids listen to their parents? i'm sure to some degree of course. but i was listening to an interview with claude lemieux and he was saying that parents that have played in the nhl need an outside coaching for their kids because there's always a dregree of friction between them.
just pointing it out as interesting. i don't doubt that that lehner kid will be good... just don't need to rush him.

If what he is today is the result of listening to his dad all his life, I suggest not to change anything Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner! - Page 3 270956

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

If what he is today is the result of listening to his dad all his life, I suggest not to change anything Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner! - Page 3 270956

Well let's hope he's a good kid who listens to his Dad. I don't think we should rush him either, like I said I wouldnt mind seeing Leclaire beyond his contract here

Sens19 wrote:
marakh wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Well let's hope he's a good kid who listens to his Dad. I don't think we should rush him either, like I said I wouldnt mind seeing Leclaire beyond his contract here

As much as you dont rush a goaltender, you dont stall his development either, that can be just as bad.

Lehner could be the backup in Ottawa next year for sure and he wouldnt look out of place or be out of his league.

Sens19

Sens19
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:
Sens19 wrote:
marakh wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

As much as you dont rush a goaltender, you dont stall his development either, that can be just as bad.

Lehner could be the backup in Ottawa next year for sure and he wouldnt look out of place or be out of his league.

Isn't that too soon?? And if it's not what do you do with Elliot?

Sophomore
Sophomore

elliott to chicago for sharp

111519 wrote:elliott to chicago for sharp

If Huet bombs or they deal him that could very well happen.

Elliott could very well be trade bait. Ottawa has a number 1 goaltender and they have 2 with the ability to push him and the potential to be number 1 themselves. Much like our defensive depth with the prospects, this is a nice situation to be in.

That being said I would go after another goaltender in the first 3 rounds this year or next, keep that depth strong.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Lehner with his 2nd straight shutout (I believe), stopping 26 shots tonight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum