GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner!

+21
sens4win
Bramlet07
Riprock
ddt
Hoags
LeCaptain
TeamRenzo
Sens19
Flo The Action
Tuk Tuk
SensGirl11
Jordo
wprager
PTFlea
SensFan71
asq2
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
beerandsens
shabbs
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think one of them will get a healthy dose of Philchenkov while the other gets a serving of Karlttun

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:All hail Andy Sutton.
Andy "Destroyer Of Penguins" Sutton.

I think we need Dash to do up a Yeti (the flashy penguin whacker) with #5.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

This just in: Lehner 2010 = Cam Ward 2006.
Dash can you ask Lehner if there's room for a COnn Smythe trophy in his hotel room?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:This just in: Lehner 2010 = Cam Ward 2006.
Dash can you ask Lehner if there's room for a COnn Smythe trophy in his hotel room?

Who needs "The Monster" when we have Robin "Real Estate" Lehner! - Page 11 62136 I was thinking that, but didn't want to post it.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Probably just getting used to the different style of game. I heard it's very much about crashing the net and banging in the loose garbage goal in the AHL. That would be something to adjust to as a goalie right?

This is awesome! I'm very happy to see 4 pages of talk on one of, if not thee best Sens prospect in the system, Robin Lehner.

If I could take a stab at your question directly though. I agree with you a bit, but there is definitely more to it than that.

Let me start off by saying, don't be alarmed at Lehner's AHL numbers so far. All that shows is the huge jump from the Junior ranks to the Pro level. There is no bigger and more dramatic jump for a goalie to make throughout his transition from prospect to bonafide stud. It's a big leap, but one that has to be made for most all great goalies. The biggest problem stud goalies have to make is adjusting to the speed of the play at the Pro level.

Goalies have the hardest time making the move from Junior to Pro when comparing them directly against forwards and/or defenseman. A great forward or defensive prospect can usually skate with the "big boys" right away. They can keep up with the play and not hinder their team/teammates. As long as they skate, they can usually then let their hands/shot/anticipation do the rest for them and help the team. The most obvious example of this is Matt Duchene. His speed allows him to fit right into the Pro Level. On the other end, Tavares (although playing great for a young player) is not making the impact that was expected by many, primarily due to his average skating. Keeping up with the speed of the game and helping your team, will slowly allow a skater to gain more confidence as they learn the rest of the game "on the fly".

Goalies obviously can't just let their feet do the talking for them. Their game is played out in their head, 95% of the time. They have to adjust mentally to everything that is coming at them faster. Everyone at the NHL level skates faster, shoots harder, dekes quicker, releases mid-stride, one-times the puck, etc etc. The game is just that much quicker. If a goalie is not ready mentally to anticipate, read the play, react and position yourself, you are bound to struggle. That sequence all starts with the ability the think at the Pro level.

Goalies are a rare breed and rightly-so. There is no other position that feels the pressure a goalie feels. Every start, goal, save, rebound, reaction, quote, etc etc, is under constant scrutiny from players, coaches, press, fans and even family. Some can handle it, Roy in his early years obviously, some struggle with it early in their careers - Carey Price.

The zone that Craig Anderson is in right now for Colorado is like heroin for a junkie - they crave and thrive for that feeling. Their aren't too many prospect goalies that are afforded that comfort of getting into a groove at the Pro Level. They get a start here and there only when the #1 goalie struggles or needs a break. Look at what Tukka Rask did in Boston this year when he was finally given cosistent minutes.

I'm repeating myself I think and that took longer than I expected to express on a computer, I wish I could have just said it verbally, but such is life on a hockey forum.

I hope this helps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum