GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Standings for 09/10 season heading into the playoffs

+11
davetherave
beerandsens
asq2
shabbs
wprager
Tuk Tuk
SensGirl11
Amnesia021
PTFlea
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

I still dont see what people are seeing in Toronto. They literally might ice 5 or 6 rookies. How do they make it?

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:I still dont see what people are seeing in Toronto. They literally might ice 5 or 6 rookies. How do they make it?
The following "Leafs logic" is being used:
- they were only 12 points out of 8th spot last year
- their "D" is *vastly* improved over last year
- they now have Kessel for improved scoring
- they were 10th in league scoring last year
- Toskala is 100%, finally
- they have The Monster
- they are going to beat everyone up
- they have "The Burke"
- Burke is a GOD
- truculence

I think that covers all the arguments I've heard.

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore

Haha truculence, if you guys haven't checked in a while, there is some golden analysis going on at www.downgoesbrown.com

Cheers

N4L wrote:I still dont see what people are seeing in Toronto. They literally might ice 5 or 6 rookies. How do they make it?

I was drinking your koolaid when I put the initial list down, but in all honesty, my first instinct was to put TO there from the outset. The Kessel trade and the fact that I agree with asq about Toskala having a rebound year meant I had to go with my first instinct and switch it up.

They have a lot more scoring depth (mid-level, albeit) than people are giving them credit for. I still don't like the Kessel trade in the long-term, but in the short-term, it will make them better.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Kessel trade is like a power shot... energy boost now... crash later.

Wink

CCgotITcovered wrote:

I was drinking your koolaid when I put the initial list down, but in all honesty, my first instinct was to put TO there from the outset. The Kessel trade and the fact that I agree with asq about Toskala having a rebound year meant I had to go with my first instinct and switch it up.

They have a lot more scoring depth (mid-level, albeit) than people are giving them credit for. I still don't like the Kessel trade in the long-term, but in the short-term, it will make them better.

I just dont see how a team with 5, 6 rookies makes the playoffs. Won't believe unless I see it.

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I know they'll be flatfooted but with

Kaberle
Komisarek
Beauchemin
Schenn
Exelby
White
Van Ryn

the Leafs shouldn't be easy to score on. If they can get out of their zone. Hard to say if that gets them into the playoffs though, it definitely isn't a sure thing.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

I just dont see how a team with 5, 6 rookies makes the playoffs. Won't believe unless I see it.
Who are the rookies that are expected in the line-up?

N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

meh just a feeling. Same reason I felt Boston won't be nearly the team they were last year - just a hunch.

shabbs wrote:
N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

Bozak, Hanson, Kadari, and Gustofson for sure. I'm sure there will be another kid or two who will crack that lineup for good out of camp or at some point during the season.

CCgotITcovered wrote:
N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

meh just a feeling. Same reason I felt Boston won't be nearly the team they were last year - just a hunch.

I think Boston is in a lot tougher this year as well.

The team I think that will run away with The East is Washington, but that's just me.

Oh yeah. If Washington can avoid putting their 4.5 million dollar mistake into their crease, then they'll challenge for the top. I still believe in Philly, but if they are better on paper than on the ice, then WAS should take the conference with PIT right behind them. I put Ottawa in 3rd, but points-wise, I'm thinking they'll be 4th-5th.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

Rookies on the Ottawa Senators during the 2005-2006 season:
Emery
Meszaros
Kelly
Eaves
Bochenski (briefly)
Schubert
McGrattan
Injury call-ups Tomas Malec, Denis Hamel, Filip Novak

...and that team was the highest scoring team in post-lock-out history, with a goals scored/goals against differential of 103 (only the Red Wings had fewer goals scored against, with 2). NHL Standings for 09/10 season heading into the playoffs - Page 5 48959 The team also finished with the second best record in the league at 52-21-3-6.

Now, the talent level on the Leafs isn't even on the same planet as the talent level on that Senators team, all I'm saying is that playing a number of rookies doesn't preclude the possibility of being successful.

I think the Leafs have it in them to challenge for a playoff spot, although I'm not sure they'll actually get one.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
shabbs wrote:
N4L wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:

Bozak, Hanson, Kadari, and Gustofson for sure. I'm sure there will be another kid or two who will crack that lineup for good out of camp or at some point during the season.

Kadri's more of a long-shot. Stalberg should be in their line-up though.

Wilson made it pretty clear that Kadri is an unlikely member of the team.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

CCgotITcovered wrote:Wilson made it pretty clear that Kadri is an unlikely member of the team.

He has to beat out players for a top-6 spot on the team.

Thus far, though, many Leaf fans are saying he has been.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'll be surprised to see Kadri stick around.

asq2 wrote:
CCgotITcovered wrote:Wilson made it pretty clear that Kadri is an unlikely member of the team.

He has to beat out players for a top-6 spot on the team.

Thus far, though, many Leaf fans are saying he has been.

And their coach has been saying he hasn't NHL Standings for 09/10 season heading into the playoffs - Page 5 42360 No offense to Leaf fans, but they're the least objective fans since habs fan. They want their 1st rounder to make it and be better than his ex-teammate Tavares. He's done some things right, but who is he supposed to push out of the top-6?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum