GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk

+15
The Silfer Server
mattshock
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
rooneypoo
PTFlea
spader
TeamRenzo
asq2
Snuh
Phoenix30
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
N4L wrote:Not gonna lie, no clue what that means. If I do though, I cant pronounce it.

Seeing the future.

EDIT: Claire - voy - ance

Isn't it more like Claire - vou - ay - ance ? (I'm thinking french)

Definitely a 3-syllable word when pronounced in English ("Clair / voy / ance").

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
N4L wrote:Not gonna lie, no clue what that means. If I do though, I cant pronounce it.

Seeing the future.

EDIT: Claire - voy - ance

Isn't it more like Claire - vou - ay - ance ? (I'm thinking french)

Definitely a 3-syllable word when pronounced in English ("Clair / voy / ance").

It's a 3 syllabe word in french too:

claire - voi (sound =vwa) - iance

but the prononciation would not be the same if I write it like that.

ANyways Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk - Page 6 Icon_smile

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

For the record, in terms of hockey writers, Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News called this trade on August 1.

http://www.gmhockey.com/ottawa-centaurs-f31/heatley-a-shark-plus-other-sens-and-non-sens-chat-t2951.htm#87145

An excerpt from Purdy's article, full text in the link to this post:

Heatley heats up Sharks' trade rumors

Mark Purdy, San Jose Mercury News, August 1 2009

In case you are wondering — or even if you're not — Doug Wilson is still angry.
Definitely still angry.

I discovered this the other day when I phoned the Sharks' general manager to discuss trade rumors that are floating around our beloved Los Tiburones.

Wilson, who after the Sharks' first-round playoff elimination lividly promised to rule out no potential roster moves, had an edge to his voice while saying his stance remained the same. But he declined to be quoted on any specific names or deals.

"I've been quoted enough this summer," Wilson said.

No quote? No problem. Plenty of other folk across the continent have been commenting and writing about what might be next for the Sharks.

Including, among other tantalizing things: Dany Heatley...

...Heatley's contract was thought to be a thorny problem. As an unofficial rule, nobody on the Sharks' roster can earn more than Joe Thornton, who will make $7.2 million next season. Heatley was on track to make $8 million. However, $4 million of that was a bonus that the Senators were forced to pay him last month when they couldn't move him before July 1. Heatley's actual salary for 2009-10, therefore, will be $4 million.

Finally, it can be easy to read between the lines and see where Heatley would like to play. His refusal to play in Edmonton might have been a message that he actually wants to be a Shark. He is known to love California.

Plus, here's another little tidbit that may or may not matter but probably does: Wayne Thomas, the Sharks' assistant general manager, was the college roommate of Heatley's father at the University of Wisconsin. Hmmmmmm.

You're probably wondering what the Sharks have to give up for Heatley. The Oilers' aborted attempt might provide a clue. It was widely reported that the Edmontons offered Ottawa a package of three players — Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid.

This would be the rough equivalent to the Sharks offering up Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and Marc-Edouard Vlasic...

Heatley is trying to find a way to get to San Jose. Wilson is still mad enough to think about making a major change at the top of his roster but is not stupid enough to make an illogical trade and is waiting out the Senators...

It's two months until the opening faceoff. But sometime between now and then, Wilson might have some interesting quotes.

At a Dany Heatley press conference.

----
There you have it...

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

He's off, though. Penner, Cogliano and Smid is nowhere near what Michalek, Cheechoo and Vlasic would have been.

asq2 wrote:He's off, though. Penner, Cogliano and Smid is nowhere near what Michalek, Cheechoo and Vlasic would have been.

In terms of depth in their organization though, that's about right. HEatley would make Edmonton a way better team then he makes San Jose though.

davetherave wrote:For ...Heatley's contract was thought to be a thorny problem. As an unofficial rule, nobody on the Sharks' roster can earn more than Joe Thornton, who will make $7.2 million next season. Heatley was on track to make $8 million. However, $4 million of that was a bonus that the Senators were forced to pay him last month when they couldn't move him before July 1. Heatley's actual salary for 2009-10, therefore, will be $4 million.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how a professional writer can be that sloppy and lax, so as to confuse cap hit with salary. It really is embarassing for them. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Just yesterday, in the $hitizen, either Warren or Panzi wrote that Heatley has 37.5M left on his contract Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk - Page 6 812636 This isn't tough math. 45-10-4 = 37.5 in what world?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

From an interview Heatley did on a local AM radio station in San Jose:

TOLBERT: "I've always wondered: When is a shot a good shot that you don't want to deflect? So you sometimes deke the goaltender that you're going to deflect it and then not deflect it? Or, if you can get your stick on the puck, are you always going to deflect it in that position?"

HEATLEY: "Wow. I think a lot of times when you don't touch the puck it's because you miss."

That's hilarious. Dany, welcome to "What's Hockey?" Country.

http://www.knbr.com/common/global_audio/201/12297.mp3

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

My only question is, if he wanted to be "The Guy", why the hell is he in San Jose?? That was clearly Dung!!

Joe Thornton is "the guy" in SJ, and they've got 2 or 3 others you could make a case for.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:From an interview Heatley did on a local AM radio station in San Jose:

TOLBERT: "I've always wondered: When is a shot a good shot that you don't want to deflect? So you sometimes deke the goaltender that you're going to deflect it and then not deflect it? Or, if you can get your stick on the puck, are you always going to deflect it in that position?"

HEATLEY: "Wow. I think a lot of times when you don't touch the puck it's because you miss."

That's hilarious. Dany, welcome to "What's Hockey?" Country.

http://www.knbr.com/common/global_audio/201/12297.mp3

Interesting interview, thank you for posting.

Heatley is a dull guy, kept searching in his list of cliches for an answer that fit the question. Also thought it was interesting how he kept saying 'I' and 'me' and said he looks forward to doing what he does. It's a small difference, but it speaks volumes about his intent and mindset.

I also really like how the guy ended with "I hope you have a nice long tenure here with the Sharks," as though he's expecting Heatley to request another trade. hahahah

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

This is painful to listen to.

And Charles Wang wanted to try sumo goalies did he not?

EDIT: painful = boring

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ben Clymer and Matt Bradley taking practice shots at a sumo-goalie (after Caps camp practice):

I wonder what happens during a delayed penalty or the last minute of a game, and the coach waves (frantically) for the goalie to get to the bench.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Over on Yahoo Answers the following question was asked/answered:

Q. Would a sumo wrestler make a good goalie in ice hockey? He would block most of the net, especially with padding on him.

A. no because every few minutes they always lift one leg then the other so it will be an easy shot for the offense! Timing is everything!

Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

mattshock wrote:My only question is, if he wanted to be "The Guy", why the hell is he in San Jose?? That was clearly Dung!!

Joe Thornton is "the guy" in SJ, and they've got 2 or 3 others you could make a case for.

Here is "The Guy" sellng Sharks tickets:

That dumby has more heart then he does for sure.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2009/10/18/sharks-send-mcginn-joslin-to-worcester-but-mclellan-hints-they-may-not-be-gone-for-long/

****The Sharks had two power play goals against the Islanders and
both came after McLellan did some shuffling of his special teams,
taking Dany Heatley off the top unit and inserting Patrick Marleau in
his place.

“The familiarity of Seto, Joe and Patty settled our power play
down,” McLellan said. “We’ve been using Dany Heatley there a lot, but
for a little while now we’ll probably go with that group. They were
very effective last year and we’ll probably continue to use them.”
OK, I know what some of you may be thinking. But let’s not go there yet.

uh oh Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk - Page 6 Icon_smile

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

“We’ve been using Dany Heatley there a lot, but
for a little while now we’ll probably go with that group. They were
very effective last year and we’ll probably continue to use them.

Very uh oh.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diminished role = trade. Ahhhhh!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Ben Clymer and Matt Bradley taking practice shots at a sumo-goalie (after Caps camp practice):

I wonder what happens during a delayed penalty or the last minute of a game, and the coach waves (frantically) for the goalie to get to the bench.

Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Hahaha, look at him just sit there saving everything. That's awesome. Once in a while you can see him flinch a little. Wicked.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum