GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk

+15
The Silfer Server
mattshock
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
rooneypoo
PTFlea
spader
TeamRenzo
asq2
Snuh
Phoenix30
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

RobbyJ wrote:How is Cheechoo's skating ? One thing this team needs is much more speed. That's why I prefer Michalek over Clowe.

It's average. He could use some work, but he's no Jason Allison.

rooneypoo wrote:
cas wrote:

Not a fan of the trade - not. at. all. I would much rather bring back Heatley and risk all that can go wrong Ahhhhh!

Just to clarify: Are you sure about the buy out numbers? I'm 90% sure any player over the age of 26 doesn't have the "1/3 over twice the length" buyout option. If we were to buy him out in the final year of his deal, I'm fairly certain it would be a 2M buyout for one year.

The standard buyout formula (roughly) is 2/3rds of the total value remaining on the contract, spread out over twice the years of the remaining contract.

Hence, if Cheechoo were bought out next year, the last year of his $3 mil / yr contract, we'd be on the hook for 2/3rds of $3mil spread out over two years. That equals $1 mil per year for 2 years.

Run it through CapGeek's buyout calculator if you want it double checked: http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php
ah my mistake. Thanks.

I was under the assumption that not only did the percentage rise from 33% (1/3) of the salary to 66% (2/3), but that the term of the buyout no longer exceeded the term of the contract.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
asq2 wrote:Michalek (streaky!), Cheechoo (who I'm still un-enamoured with, I just don't think he's a very good hockey player any more) and Couture isn't the worst deal possible, certainly.

All I know is that if SJ isn't willing to part with at least one of Michalek or Clowe, there's just no deal to be had. Period.

Cheechoo is I think for sure destined for OTT now, if any trade goes down. The money doesn't make sense otherwise.

Anyway, Michalek is a pretty solid player. I'd be more excited about him than Cogliano, and Cogliano was the only thing exciting about that last deal: he plays hard, goes to the next, PKs, regularly puts up 60 points a season playing on the second line with Pavelski. There are ways around Cheechoo if he doesn't work out (i.e., a buyout). Any prospects/picks would be gravy. A guy like Couture (skilled forward) is pretty much what the doctored ordered in terms of our organization depth needs.

Everything hangs on whether or not Wilson has the balls to step up and pay the not-so-unreasonable price of a Michalek or a Clowe for Heatley, tho'. If he can't do it, there's no trade to be had.

I agree, Michalek or Clowe or don't even call anymore. The rest of the deal may be hard to work out, but we can take on Cheechoo...if SJ can take on one of our 'bad' contracts.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell pretty much. This thing is staring Wilson right in the face. Either he mans up and gets it done, or Heatley stays in OTT. I don't know if there's any other choice right now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Yep, that's it in a nutshell pretty much. This thing is staring Wilson right in the face. Either he mans up and gets it done, or Heatley stays in OTT. I don't know if there's any other choice right now.

It's true, we've all been waiting for Wilson to show some stone and make the deal. Now is really the time, either you crap, or you get off the pot. And if you get off this pot, you better think about an offer sheet for Kessel because your team is eerily similar to the one that choked...again.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What about dealing Heatley and then sending an offer sheet to Kessel? Why isn't a team sending him and offer sheet, this is a young buck, speedy and is a legitimate goal scorer. Sometimes I don't understand the NHL and the GMs. Here is a nugget, already farmed, waiting to be signed to an offer sheet of 5 X 5. Boston can't match that, it's worth the draft picks and he's still on the upswing. If there was ever an offer sheet for Edmonton to do, this was it. Although, I guess they've lost their picks for Penner.

Minny? Someone? I don't understand.

I think its pretty clear that after the summer of Dustin the GMs have come to an agreement that offer sheets are taboo. No GM has attempted a serious offer sheet since and, in fact, no offer sheet has been attempted this summer. There were a couple low level offer sheets put out last summer, but that seems to have ended.

I wouldn't be expecting any offer sheets to be occuring in the next couple of years.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:What San Jose has to do is acquire enough players in this deal to fill out their roster- cheap players, like Lee, Schubert (who can play both positions), Bass, Picard, Regin, J.Smith (not so cheap) etc., and then they have to ensure that they're ending up giving up a couple of mid tiered contracts (4 million) to get Heatley, like Michalek and Clowe for example.

Does it make the Sharks better? Not really, but they're shaking Dung up and their PP is crazy. Shrug

Agreed. At this point the Sharks would want to possibly add Heatley, delete a roster player and prospects and probably their 1st round pick for cheap "ok" players to simply have a full roster.

We have those cheap "ok" players.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
TeamRenzo wrote:I thought that this trade was done to begin to clear up cap space so they could aquire Heatley.

I don't see why this move nixes the Heatley to SJ deal. If it does Dany has all but run out of options.

Garrioch is waaaaaaaaaaay off on this article, from start to finish. It's really as simple as that. Nothing new there.

As I said before, this move on SJ's part is either a final step towards finalizing the roster (i.e., they'll just fill in the rest of the roster with minor leaguers and/or role players) OR it will be pivotal to landing Heatley. It could be a precursor to either, really.

Anyway, if there's a deal to be made between OTT and SJ, I think it will look something like this:

Heatley + Picard or Schubert (about $8.3 mil)

for

Michalek/Clowe + Cheechoo + pick and/or prospect (about $6.7-7.3 mil)

SJ adds a needed D, and only adds $1-1.5 mil to their cap. They're left with 9 forwards, 6 D, and 2 goalies, and about $2 mil in cap space ($3.2 mil if they use the bonus cushion). They re-sign some of their RFA kids (Mitchell, Staubitz, Fox) for cheap and/or sign a role players for the league minimum and insert them in the lineup. Even if they spend $2 mil on those three players, they can still have almost $1.3 mil in cap space if they use the bonus cushion to shelter them from the costs of the bonuses they have to pay out this year ($1.24 mil owed to Blake, McGinn, and Setoguchi).

OTT, meanwhile, drops about $1-1.5 mil in cap space (which we have to do), clears an unneeded D off the books, adds a top six-er in Michalek/Clowe to help replace Heatley, gets a rather crappy contract in Cheechoo (but the Penner precedent is there), and re-stocks the prospect cupboards some more (Couture + 2nd?).

It's not the ideal scenario, or the trade I would have wanted or expected back in June, but there you have it.

[All numbers and calculations done through CapGeek, of course. Smile]

There she is. Not sure if that's the original one, tho'. I'll have to check the threads on the Erhoff trade...

Atta boy. How did you know Heatley would be going the other way?

We also had to give up a 5th round pick. In all, I think hats off to Bryan Murray. He was patient, played off other teams against each other, and definitely won the PR war. I don't think a GM has ever been handed such a difficult situation, and he really came through.

No doubt in my mind that these two guys will add grit, and between them make up for whatever goals we lost from Heatley. While season ticket sales may have been lagging, I suspect that they will pick up now.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Atta boy. How did you know Heatley would be going the other way?

Clairvoyance. Smile

Not gonna lie, no clue what that means. If I do though, I cant pronounce it.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Not gonna lie, no clue what that means. If I do though, I cant pronounce it.

Seeing the future.

EDIT: Claire - voy - ance

rooneypoo wrote:
N4L wrote:Not gonna lie, no clue what that means. If I do though, I cant pronounce it.

Seeing the future.

Ok, so it was both.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

Seeing the future.

Isn't it more like Claire - vou - ay - ance ? (I'm thinking french)

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Seeing the future.

Definitely a 3-syllable word when pronounced in English ("Clair / voy / ance").

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Seeing the future.

Definitely a 3-syllable word when pronounced in English ("Clair / voy / ance").

It's a 3 syllabe word in french too:

claire - voi (sound =vwa) - iance

but the prononciation would not be the same if I write it like that.

ANyways Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk - Page 5 Icon_smile

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

For the record, in terms of hockey writers, Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News called this trade on August 1.

http://www.gmhockey.com/ottawa-centaurs-f31/heatley-a-shark-plus-other-sens-and-non-sens-chat-t2951.htm#87145

An excerpt from Purdy's article, full text in the link to this post:

Heatley heats up Sharks' trade rumors

Mark Purdy, San Jose Mercury News, August 1 2009

In case you are wondering — or even if you're not — Doug Wilson is still angry.
Definitely still angry.

I discovered this the other day when I phoned the Sharks' general manager to discuss trade rumors that are floating around our beloved Los Tiburones.

Wilson, who after the Sharks' first-round playoff elimination lividly promised to rule out no potential roster moves, had an edge to his voice while saying his stance remained the same. But he declined to be quoted on any specific names or deals.

"I've been quoted enough this summer," Wilson said.

No quote? No problem. Plenty of other folk across the continent have been commenting and writing about what might be next for the Sharks.

Including, among other tantalizing things: Dany Heatley...

...Heatley's contract was thought to be a thorny problem. As an unofficial rule, nobody on the Sharks' roster can earn more than Joe Thornton, who will make $7.2 million next season. Heatley was on track to make $8 million. However, $4 million of that was a bonus that the Senators were forced to pay him last month when they couldn't move him before July 1. Heatley's actual salary for 2009-10, therefore, will be $4 million.

Finally, it can be easy to read between the lines and see where Heatley would like to play. His refusal to play in Edmonton might have been a message that he actually wants to be a Shark. He is known to love California.

Plus, here's another little tidbit that may or may not matter but probably does: Wayne Thomas, the Sharks' assistant general manager, was the college roommate of Heatley's father at the University of Wisconsin. Hmmmmmm.

You're probably wondering what the Sharks have to give up for Heatley. The Oilers' aborted attempt might provide a clue. It was widely reported that the Edmontons offered Ottawa a package of three players — Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid.

This would be the rough equivalent to the Sharks offering up Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and Marc-Edouard Vlasic...

Heatley is trying to find a way to get to San Jose. Wilson is still mad enough to think about making a major change at the top of his roster but is not stupid enough to make an illogical trade and is waiting out the Senators...

It's two months until the opening faceoff. But sometime between now and then, Wilson might have some interesting quotes.

At a Dany Heatley press conference.

----
There you have it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum