GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalev is willing to talk with Heatley to convince him to stay

+13
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
SeawaySensFan
TeamRenzo
The Silfer Server
PKC
TheAvatar
beerandsens
jamvan
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Jordo
SensFan71
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/07/07/10055761.html

Amazing sign of leadership that Kovalev is planning on bringing to the Senators, wanting to reach out to our lost soul Dany Heatley

Kovalev wants to reach out, keep Heatley

A Senators team with both Alex Kovalev and Dany Heatley in the lineup could be a reality.
Kovalev said he would be willing to talk to Heatley about his request to be traded and try and get the two-time 50-goal scorer to change his mind.
“He’s a hell of a player. It would definitely be nice for him to stay on the team,” said Kovalev, whose two-year, $10 million contract (all terms US) signed Monday pushed the Senators over the salary cap by about $1.5 million. Keeping both Kovalev and Heatley would necessitate Senators GM Bryan Murray moving some contracts.
But it’s an interesting proposition, especially since one of Heatley’s complaints has been the direction the team has been taking. Kovalev is the additional top-six forward the team has needed for a couple of years. Reality is he’s a replacement rather than an addition, but ...
“Each player and each person and team acts for himself, what he wants in life. I can’t answer questions for somebody else, but if I have a chance, I’ll speak to him (about staying),” said Kovalev.
“I don’t know what the situation is. Something is going on and he doesn’t want to stay. That’s pretty much all I know. All I’m saying is it would be nice for him to stay because the Ottawa Senators need players like that. He’s a goal scorer.”
Kovalev said the more top players, the better. He said he has no problem playing second fiddle.
“I’m not looking to be a superstar, to be the hero or be the best,” said Kovalev. “I’m just doing my part, what I do best and help the team win the Stanley Cup. That’s all I can do. I’m not trying to compete with anybody. I know the Senators have a lot of good players.”

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Don't take this so seriously- Kovalev was asked by a member of the media if he would consider having a conversation with Heatley to convince him to stay- to which he obviously answered yes.

It's not like he came out of nowhere and said he's going to convince Heatley to stay.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Jordo wrote:Don't take this so seriously- Kovalev was asked by a member of the media if he would consider having a conversation with Heatley to convince him to stay- to which he obviously answered yes.

It's not like he came out of nowhere and said he's going to convince Heatley to stay.

never underestimate the power of AK27 :^^^^: We may see a side of this guy he never showed Montreal.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think that's pretty big news personally. Kovalev is willing to go out of his way to phone Heatley and say 'get your head out of your arse'. Obviously Kovalev wants to win - and he thinks Heatley being here is integral to that.

If he didn't care, he would have said that it wasn't his business.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I think that's pretty big news personally. Kovalev is willing to go out of his way to phone Heatley and say 'get your head out of your arse'. Obviously Kovalev wants to win - and he thinks Heatley being here is integral to that.

If he didn't care, he would have said that it wasn't his business.

There may be something to that.

Given his complete lack of bedside manner when it came to the MTL question -- where he basically said that MTL was his 1st choice and not OTT -- it's hard to accuse the guy of saying things just to suck up to his new audience.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
There may be something to that.

Given his complete lack of bedside manner when it came to the MTL question -- where he basically said that MTL was his 1st choice and not OTT -- it's hard to accuse the guy of saying things just to suck up to his new audience.

Totally. He's treating this like he should. This wasn't my first choice, but it's my final choice, so now I want to be a part of this process.

He's an influential, big time superstar, I'm okay with this kind of thing unless he gets TOO intimate in Ottawa's affairs.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Who else would love to kick Chris Stevenson right in the knads?

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

I'm divided. Heatley staying is so sexy on paper. The depth that Kovalev brings is phenomenal.

On the other hand, get the Diddle out of here Heatley. And if even a few of his teammates feel snubbed, that could jeopardize the entire team dynamic. Plus, the annoying media outlets would be all over that excuse any time the Sens lose a game due to a weak effort.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

beerandsens wrote:I'm divided. Heatley staying is so sexy on paper. The depth that Kovalev brings is phenomenal.

On the other hand, get the Diddle out of here Heatley. And if even a few of his teammates feel snubbed, that could jeopardize the entire team dynamic. Plus, the annoying media outlets would be all over that excuse any time the Sens lose a game due to a weak effort.

One thing worth noting that, after this year, holding onto Heatley doesn't appear to be sustainable for the team. We have a lot of important UFAs and RFAs coming up to deal with, not the least of which are Volchenkov, Foligno, Shannon, Picard, Lee, potentially Elliott.

A cap-flexible return for Heatley sometime soon makes a lot of sense for the organization, long-term. BM has to start thinking more about picks/prospects, less about 2-3 NHLers. The return really needs to be 1-2 NHLers at most, the rest in picks and/or prospects.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

We'll worry about that next year Smile

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I know that Kovalev carries a lot of weight amongst russian players. I think the chances of him having a positive impact re.: outcome of Dany's carreer in Ottawa would be much improved if Dany was russian but who knows; it's worth the call!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
One thing worth noting that, after this year, holding onto Heatley doesn't appear to be sustainable for the team. We have a lot of important UFAs and RFAs coming up to deal with, not the least of which are Volchenkov, Foligno, Shannon, Picard, Lee, potentially Elliott.

A cap-flexible return for Heatley sometime soon makes a lot of sense for the organization, long-term. BM has to start thinking more about picks/prospects, less about 2-3 NHLers. The return really needs to be 1-2 NHLers at most, the rest in picks and/or prospects.

I'll take 1 NHL player - of high caliber - signed to a long term 5 million dollar deal. That would be optimum. A top 6 (like Marleau Smile ) or someone of that ilk.

I think we can get around cap issues with that. Maybe more likely, a guy like Michalek or Filatov etc.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the Sens should see if they can move Heatley, Smith and Picard for Gilbert, Cogliano and Smid.

Would give us cap flexibility and add another very good defender. Of course we'd need that pillock Heatley to waive.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Now I have to look at next year's cap situation. Darn you Pooney. 🇬🇬

Forwards:

**Heatley (7.5)
Spezza (7)
Alfredsson (5.6)
Fisher (4.2)
*Foligno (3)
*Shannon (1.2)
**Kelly (2.1)
*Winchester (1.0)
*Bass (0.6)
Ruutu (1.3)
Neil (2)
Kovalev (5)
*Regin (1.0)
Z.Smith (0.6)

Subtotal: 42.1

Defense:

**Kuba (3.7)
**Campoli (2.5)
*Volcenkov (4)
Phillips (3.5)
Karlsson (1.3)
*Lee (1.5)

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (1.0)

Total: 63.4

* = projection
** = trade bait

Yep, Heatley will have to be moved going forward I think.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Now I have to look at next year's cap situation. Darn you Pooney. 🇬🇬

Forwards:

**Heatley (7.5)
Spezza (7)
Alfredsson (5.6)
Fisher (4.2)
*Foligno (3)
*Shannon (1.2)
**Kelly (2.1)
*Winchester (1.0)
*Bass (0.6)
Ruutu (1.3)
Neil (2)
Kovalev (5)
*Regin (1.0)
Z.Smith (0.6)

Subtotal: 42.1

Defense:

**Kuba (3.7)
**Campoli (2.5)
*Volcenkov (4)
Phillips (3.5)
Karlsson (1.3)
*Lee (1.5)

Leclaire (3.8)
Elliott (1.0)

Total: 63.4

* = projection
** = trade bait

Yep, Heatley will have to be moved going forward I think.
People worry too much about the cap. I wouldn't worry about the cap, they take all these scenarios into account.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum