GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shark Bait gone for Heatley; Heatley gone, Shark talk

+15
The Silfer Server
mattshock
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
wprager
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
rooneypoo
PTFlea
spader
TeamRenzo
asq2
Snuh
Phoenix30
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/08/28/10660531.html

So when did the Hawks become an interests to Heatley...R the hawks even interested and what would they give up.

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

Phoenix30 wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/08/28/10660531.html

So when did the Hawks become an interests to Heatley...R the hawks even interested and what would they give up.

I think the Hawks are mentioned becuase they were on Heatley's list of teams he wants to be traded to.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Snuh wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2009/08/28/10660531.html

I think the Hawks are mentioned becuase they were on Heatley's list of teams he wants to be traded to.

Yeah, good luck Dany. With the Hossa signing and the upcoming need to re-sign Toews, Kane and Keith, I doubt the Hawks are looking to take on $31 million.

TeamRenzo

Rookie
Rookie

I thought that this trade was done to begin to clear up cap space so they could aquire Heatley.

I don't see why this move nixes the Heatley to SJ deal. If it does Dany has all but run out of options.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I agree. I think that the trade was made to clear space for another, bigger move. Just because Erhoff was part of the original package doesn't mean that a new deal can't be created.

I think this makes the Sharks the most likely option now.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:I agree. I think that the trade was made to clear space for another, bigger move. Just because Erhoff was part of the original package doesn't mean that a new deal can't be created.

I think this makes the Sharks the most likely option now.

I disagree. SJ gave away 2 players for basically nothing. They cleared space but are they going to now dimish their prospect pool or forward ranks for 1 player.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Who's to say it's only for one player? There's no telling what any trade would include.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What San Jose has to do is acquire enough players in this deal to fill out their roster- cheap players, like Lee, Schubert (who can play both positions), Bass, Picard, Regin, J.Smith (not so cheap) etc., and then they have to ensure that they're ending up giving up a couple of mid tiered contracts (4 million) to get Heatley, like Michalek and Clowe for example.

Does it make the Sharks better? Not really, but they're shaking Dung up and their PP is crazy. Shrug

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I would LOVE it if we could somehow get Setoguchi. I really hope BM can find a way to make that happen.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:Who's to say it's only for one player? There's no telling what any trade would include.

I know its going to be more than one for sure...but how much more is Murray willing to give SJ without loosing value on Heatley or the other players he sends their way. I think SJ was already down 4 players before yesterdays trade. You have to figure that Murray is going to want at least a similar deal to Edmonton where he was going to get 2 fowards and a dman...SJ would need to give a couple of quality starting players, picks and prospects. something that SJ cant afford to give up.

can someone please explain to me why we need another average D man? unless we are getting a top 15 D in the league i really do not see the point in stunning the growth of our young guys by giving more minutes to another average defender.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Blazer wrote:can someone please explain to me why we need another average D man? unless we are getting a top 15 D in the league i really do not see the point in stunning the growth of our young guys by giving more minutes to another average defender.

That's why I wouldn't mind getting Michalek and Clowe (if it's possible) and actually giving up one of Picard or Lee.

SpezDispenser wrote:
Blazer wrote:can someone please explain to me why we need another average D man? unless we are getting a top 15 D in the league i really do not see the point in stunning the growth of our young guys by giving more minutes to another average defender.

That's why I wouldn't mind getting Michalek and Clowe (if it's possible) and actually giving up one of Picard or Lee.

Personally I would be disappointed in Michalek and Clowe for Heatley plus Picard or Lee. I am sure we are losing there.

Sophomore
Sophomore

San Jose has 15 players signed and 5 million left to spend.You need at least 21 players meaning they have 5 million to sign 6 players. adding heatley puts them over the cap with 5 players need to sign. the ONLY way heatley ends up in SJ is if a third team steps in to take some of the higher priced players on SJ ( cheechoo, Boyle) and returns prospects back.

For example:

To LA:
Boyle
Kelly

To SJ:
Heatley
Picard
Schubert
Richardson

To Ottawa:
Frolov
Schenn
SJ first

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

TeamRenzo wrote:I thought that this trade was done to begin to clear up cap space so they could aquire Heatley.

I don't see why this move nixes the Heatley to SJ deal. If it does Dany has all but run out of options.

Garrioch is waaaaaaaaaaay off on this article, from start to finish. It's really as simple as that. Nothing new there.

As I said before, this move on SJ's part is either a final step towards finalizing the roster (i.e., they'll just fill in the rest of the roster with minor leaguers and/or role players) OR it will be pivotal to landing Heatley. It could be a precursor to either, really.

Anyway, if there's a deal to be made between OTT and SJ, I think it will look something like this:

Heatley + Picard or Schubert (about $8.3 mil)

for

Michalek/Clowe + Cheechoo + pick and/or prospect (about $6.7-7.3 mil)

SJ adds a needed D, and only adds $1-1.5 mil to their cap. They're left with 9 forwards, 6 D, and 2 goalies, and about $2 mil in cap space ($3.2 mil if they use the bonus cushion). They re-sign some of their RFA kids (Mitchell, Staubitz, Fox) for cheap and/or sign a role players for the league minimum and insert them in the lineup. Even if they spend $2 mil on those three players, they can still have almost $1.3 mil in cap space if they use the bonus cushion to shelter them from the costs of the bonuses they have to pay out this year ($1.24 mil owed to Blake, McGinn, and Setoguchi).

OTT, meanwhile, drops about $1-1.5 mil in cap space (which we have to do), clears an unneeded D off the books, adds a top six-er in Michalek/Clowe to help replace Heatley, gets a rather crappy contract in Cheechoo (but the Penner precedent is there), and re-stocks the prospect cupboards some more (Couture + 2nd?).

It's not the ideal scenario, or the trade I would have wanted or expected back in June, but there you have it.

[All numbers and calculations done through CapGeek, of course. Smile]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum