GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Heatley rumor to throw on the pile...

+11
wprager
Flo The Action
PTFlea
TheAvatar
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
pgood
beedub
Jordo
SensFan71
Vandelay
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i am beginning to think that keeping heatley wont be bad provided he has a turn around in attitude if the locker room can be good then we will be pretty deep and have a decent run this year....also back to that initial rumour frolov is a good piece he may be a bit streaky but the last 4 years he has put up 50+ points thats not bad but we obvioulsy need more than just him preferable for me prospects and picks

With the addition of Kovalev, we can afford to take Frolov and prospects/picks. I think Frolov is a good fit. He's reportedly bed buddies with Volchenkov, and having Kovy around will help him feel more at home. I'd love to see a guy like Purcell and a prospect like Voinov.

i hope you meant best buddies

Oh. My. God.

Yes, I meant best buddies. I'm at work trying to do this on the sly and getting distracted. Facepalm

Worse. Slip. Ever.

I thought it was semi-intentional. Still gives the same idea, though with different implications.

Don't you hate it when work interferes with the real important stuff !

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i am beginning to think that keeping heatley wont be bad provided he has a turn around in attitude if the locker room can be good then we will be pretty deep and have a decent run this year....also back to that initial rumour frolov is a good piece he may be a bit streaky but the last 4 years he has put up 50+ points thats not bad but we obvioulsy need more than just him preferable for me prospects and picks

With the addition of Kovalev, we can afford to take Frolov and prospects/picks. I think Frolov is a good fit. He's reportedly bed buddies with Volchenkov, and having Kovy around will help him feel more at home. I'd love to see a guy like Purcell and a prospect like Voinov.

i hope you meant best buddies

Oh. My. God.

Yes, I meant best buddies. I'm at work trying to do this on the sly and getting distracted. Facepalm

Worse. Slip. Ever.

I thought it was semi-intentional. Still gives the same idea, though with different implications.

No it wasn't. Like I said, I at work, where personal internet use is frowned upon, so I am semi distracted.

On a related note to these 3 way deals, am I the only one who would love to see Phoenix as the 3rd party?

Hockeyhero22000

Veteran
Veteran

i would really hope to get some forward depth coming into our system if teubert was offered cant say no but i think the sens really need some young forward prospects with potential of being a top six

Edit: damn edit button!

That's partly why I'd love to see Phoenix involved. They have an embarassment of riches at forward as far as youth goes. I doubt they do much until they figure out the ownership situation though.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think the fact that Phoenix can't take on any more salary is a stumbling block. And I don't know what we can entice them with. Between Ross, Summers, and OEL, they don't really need more d-men prospects. Potentially you could entice them with a Picard or Lee to play on the roster *now*, but I'm not sure if they'd give up a top-flight young forward for one of those two.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

pheonix is not a viable option until they reslove ownership issues

asq2 wrote:
FireOnIce wrote:
asq2 wrote:
FireOnIce wrote:Asq, I am going to assume that you like prospects as per your avatar and signature.

I think that is also why you highly overrate them. In your first paragraph, you name 8 prospects. You do realize that the odds are that only one of the 8 reach their projected potential. 3 will not make 100 games in the NHL and the other 4 will have average careers.

The above stats are taken from the Top 10 picks in every first round draft their has ever been and an average was created. Some of your listed names are not Top 10 picks, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

No, I was not aware that prospects have the possibility of busting.

I'm just saying that to say Toronto is set-up going forward as you put it, is not how I see it.

Sorry for disagreeing with you I guess.

Thanks for the discussion.

You don't have to apologize. That was a bit of an arseholeish response from me. I was just getting my thoughts together.

You're right, prospects do bust - frequently. Obviously, the discussions we have are on-paper (or on-screen discussions), so we tend to look at what players are supposed to be, rather than what they are. Heck, you also don't know if a player is going to pull a Wade Redden '05-'06 to '06-'07 -type decline (to put it mildly).

The weakness, as you've pointed out, for the organization is that they don't have young talent that's proven at the NHL level at the forward position. Trust that they are not the only team banking on improving a position dramatically via integration of prospects: heck, the Sens are praying like crazy that Karlsson, Cowen and Wiercioch can fulfill their respective potentials.

The Leafs don't have much talent at the forward position period, so they're going to have to look to the future to compete, ie. at their prospects. I feel Burke has laid a good foundation in that regard, though I suggest he should look at acquiring a corner-stone forward (and since I'm not sure they have the assets or the opportunity to acquire a young, proven one, they'll have to take a chance on a high-end prospect). I was also not a fan of them moving Stralman, because they don't have many youthful puck-movers.

Anyway, I guess I feel they're doing well because they've got young talent (albeit unproven talent) at every position, and they're largely unstrangled by big contracts. As teams with proven young talent begin to feel the squeeze (say, the Pittsburghs, Columbuses and Chicagos), the Leafs will be able to step in, acquire some talent while ideally having their own youth mature and develop.

Just wanted to get back to this post as promised.

I don't know Asq, call it Sens colored glasses, but I don't think you can compare Karlsson, Weircioch and Cowen in the same breath as Bozak, Kadri and Kulemin. As I type that, I changed my mind because Kulemin is the only one to prove he can play in the big show. But as far as "sure things" go, I will take our 3. Christs sakes, as I type that Cowen cancels out the injury question marks that I was going to put on Bozak.

You make great points all around. I absolutely agree that the cap space Toronto has could come in handy when going after UFA's and potentially RFA's.

To be honest, anytime someone says something positive about Toronto I usually get my back up and start thinking of counter arguements.

Thanks for the retorts. I really can't think right now, but appreciate the back and forth.

I'm actually going to give this one to you, even though I still disagree that Toronto is set up for their future. For some reason I can't verbalize why right now.

Time for a break.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

It's a bizarre debate. Obviously, they'd ideally have more proven talent on the roster: the problem with that is, soon that talent's going to be looking for big bucks, and depth starts getting cancelled out, or players leave (a la Havlat, Chara and Hasek in the '05-'06 off-season).

So, I guess I'd say they're well set-up for four reasons:
1. They've got depth at every position, and in the case of defence, a star and an up-and-coming star,
2. They're unhampered by big contracts, giving them a lot of flexibility,
3. They have some highly talented prospects, which isn't a guarantee but rarely hurts, and
4. They're not in any danger of being unable to spend to the Cap.

I'd say with some savvy management (and some of Burke's deals have me shaking my head in that regard), they can be part of the next wave of good teams, after the Columbuses and Chicagos start feeling the cap. And if the cap goes down, that might not be too far away.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The problem I see with Toronto is their lack of elite talent prospects in the forward ranks, coupled with their shortage of talent at this level now, combined with the expense of their blueline going forward.

Kadri is a nice piece to have (still can't believe they didn't get Cowen to complete a Schenn/Cowen pairing), but they'll need to TANK this year in order to get one of the potentially elite forwards coming up in the draft. Or they'll need to begin examining their roster closely and start thinking about giving up some young talent/draft picks to get some young dynamic talent.

Definitely, these are the moments when I'm most pleased to have a young, great-passing, 90+ point center on our team for the next 6 years.

Toronto will catch up to Ottawa officially - and then surpass us, if they do everything properly, when they restock the forward cupbaords with A level prospect (such as Cowen, Wiercioch, Karlsson to us on D).

It's complicated - and it will be a while before Toronto is able to be 100% competitive, but they've at least cleaned up the defensive side of things - and possibly the goaltending side as well. Now comes the shift of focus to the forwards.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think Kadri's an elite forward prospect. A project, mind you, but so is Erik Karlsson.

I can see him having the potential to be a top-6/top-3 forward on a roster. You're right, though, they have no one guy to build around up front. Bozak, Kadri and Kulemin (and to a lesser extent, Hayes and Stefanovich) all look to be supporting scorers rather than the main guy. And the best guy on the roster right now (Hagman, he's a gem IMO) isn't all that young. Stempniak and Stajan are probably their best young proven forwards, which isn't the nicest thought.

In retrospect, the Komisarek signing someone legitimizes passing on Cowen. But I think Burke screwed up on the defence in the Kubina and Stralman trades. Dumping Stralman really diminishes the offensive ability of the team down the line, and keeping Kubina perhaps could have enabled a Kaberle+ for Kessel swap (I don't know what happened in that regard, but I thought that would have been excellent for the Leafs).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

oh god... there is nothing left to do till pre-season openers then talk about non-possible trades and the leafs. Crying Puking2

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:I think Kadri's an elite forward prospect. A project, mind you, but so is Erik Karlsson.

I can see him having the potential to be a top-6/top-3 forward on a roster. You're right, though, they have no one guy to build around up front. Bozak, Kadri and Kulemin (and to a lesser extent, Hayes and Stefanovich) all look to be supporting scorers rather than the main guy. And the best guy on the roster right now (Hagman, he's a gem IMO) isn't all that young. Stempniak and Stajan are probably their best young proven forwards, which isn't the nicest thought.

In retrospect, the Komisarek signing someone legitimizes passing on Cowen. But I think Burke screwed up on the defence in the Kubina and Stralman trades. Dumping Stralman really diminishes the offensive ability of the team down the line, and keeping Kubina perhaps could have enabled a Kaberle+ for Kessel swap (I don't know what happened in that regard, but I thought that would have been excellent for the Leafs).

Kadri's pretty close to elite IMO, but then, as you say, the cupboard gets pretty bare. Stempniak and Stajan I don't like personally. I don't think either really has 'it'. They'll end up roaming around in mediocrity. Hagman's awesome, wrong team, wrong time though. He'll be traded at some point - and it'll be a forward prospect with upside I'm sure. I don't know how much Burke will want to keep a 30 year old on this squad if he's building from the ground up.

I'm not positive why Burke kept Kaberle at all. They can't move the puck, I understand that, but if the choice is trading a guy who doesn't fit into Burke's style and acquiring an American sniper to go with the American coach and the American GM and the American defender...I don't know why it isn't done already?

Boston had this in the bag and I think they got cold feet.

Burke's stacked the blueline though. They can't move the puck very well, but they're big dudes, that's for sure.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:I think Kadri's an elite forward prospect. A project, mind you, but so is Erik Karlsson.

So is he (Kadri) elite or supporting?

Personally, I think "Elite" goes top-three, even in a deep draft. Sure, Kadri led his team in scoring, but a team-mate finished just 2 points back, and this is a defenseman. Burke got Kadri for his style of play, I think, not necessarily expecting him to be a big scorer (which echoes what you said, actually).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

Personally, I think "Elite" goes top-three, even in a deep draft. Sure, Kadri led his team in scoring, but a team-mate finished just 2 points back, and this is a defenseman. Burke got Kadri for his style of play, I think, not necessarily expecting him to be a big scorer (which echoes what you said, actually).

Actually, that's a good question. When there was talk we were going to select Kadri, I thought of him as a second line center. I think he's on the threshold between elite and top tier, but, the question is a good one. Will he every dominate at the NHL level?

I have doubts to be honest. Close though. :*:

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

Actually, that's a good question. When there was talk we were going to select Kadri, I thought of him as a second line center. I think he's on the threshold between elite and top tier, but, the question is a good one. Will he every dominate at the NHL level?

I guess it depends on the definition of elite. And also your impression of Kadri: some say he's not that different from Duchene, just less polished. I have my doubts about whether some of his finesse will translate to the NHL level.

I don't think he's much less of a prospect than our defencemen, though, to clarify.

I don't think its anywhere near close - Imo there's no way in hell you can consider Kadri elite now, nor do I believe he'll ever be an elite player. Frankly, I'm dumbfounded at the suggestion. We must simply have different definitions of elite...for me, Spezza is "borderline" when it comes to discussing elite talent. As such, Kadri doesn't even get within a mile of that border...

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

cas wrote:I don't think its anywhere near close - Imo there's no way in hell you can consider Kadri elite now, nor do I believe he'll ever be an elite player. Frankly, I'm dumbfounded at the suggestion. We must simply have different definitions of elite...for me, Spezza is "borderline" when it comes to discussing elite talent. As such, Kadri doesn't even get within a mile of that border...

I believe Kadri isn't allowed to cross the border Sarcasm

asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

I guess it depends on the definition of elite. And also your impression of Kadri: some say he's not that different from Duchene, just less polished. I have my doubts about whether some of his finesse will translate to the NHL level.

I don't think he's much less of a prospect than our defencemen, though, to clarify.
I have very little doubt that it won't, but obviously I could be wrong.

As for the last sentence: I would take Karlsson 100 times out of 100 over Kadri. No even close.... I was ecstatic that Burke selected Kadri and left Cowen on the table, so you can guess how I feel in terms of that comparison. And Wiercioch had the kind of rookie year that makes your mouth water... I wouldn't take Kadri over any of them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum