GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A rumour is still a rumour - even if it is Eklund

+13
Phoenix30
Vandelay
jamvan
SensFan71
rooneypoo
Sens19
TheAvatar
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hayden
SensGirl11
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Good luck not taking on Cheechoo in a SJ trade. He's not poison guys, you're treating him as if he's pure Dung. He had that one freak season, then the subsequent seasons he battled through injury. Last year was a horrific year for him though - and I can see where a chance of scenery could help him big time.

Plus, he works his arse off every shift - and off the ice as well. If there was ever a reclamation project to get in on, it's Cheechoo, not Fat Penner (who may also be a fun project, but a little costlier and a longer term).

The fact that you're getting Seto as well is purely a plus.
He's not very good anymore either SD and nowhere worth $3 million. I'd rather Penner than Cheechoo any day of the week.

It's still going to be Michalek, Erhoff and another salaried player; IF it goes down.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Good luck not taking on Cheechoo in a SJ trade. He's not poison guys, you're treating him as if he's pure Dung. He had that one freak season, then the subsequent seasons he battled through injury. Last year was a horrific year for him though - and I can see where a chance of scenery could help him big time.

Plus, he works his arse off every shift - and off the ice as well. If there was ever a reclamation project to get in on, it's Cheechoo, not Fat Penner (who may also be a fun project, but a little costlier and a longer term).

Having a player with a nickname like "Seto" is a big minus. "Gooch" is the way to go, just like the bully in Diff'rent Strokes.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:
He's not very good anymore either SD and nowhere worth $3 million. I'd rather Penner than Cheechoo any day of the week.

It's still going to be Michalek, Erhoff and another salaried player; IF it goes down.

That would be fantastic.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is from a SJ fan - I put it in here because it adds a different element to what we've been talking about:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=661418&page=20

Swing and a miss.

2003/2004: Cheechoo scored 28 goals while playing on the 3rd line with Mike Ricci and Scott Thornton, two defensive players in the latter stages of their career. Obviously, he shows his goal scoring promise.

05/06: Cheechoo's Richard year. League scoring was up after the lockout, and he had just found ridiculous chemistry with the league's best passer. Obviously his career year and his only shot at a goal scoring title.

06/07: Cheech comes back to Earth and scores 37 goals. Nothing wrong, considering teams had time to adjust to both Thornton and Cheechoo's attack and the new rules. You'd have to be crazy to complain about a 37 goal season.

07/08: Cheechoo has double-hernia surgery in the offseason. Watching him skate the first half of the season was unbearable. He was in obvious discomfort for a majority of the season, and still potted 23 goals after finding his game in the second half. 23 goals pales in comparison to his 56 for those of you who love to just look up season statistics to form your opinions, but considering the circumstances, I don't personally see any big deal.

08/09: When he wasn't injured, which he was a good portion of the season, Cheechoo had lost all of his confidence and was relegated to fourth and third line duties. Never really had a chance to find his scoring touch again. In the playoffs, he was one of the few to show up and several quality games. He was among the best forwards on the ice several nights.

I definitely see why there's a cause for concern in relation to his injuries, but to dismiss Cheechoo as a hockey player is foolish. I don't get why people hold one freak year against a player. He never really has "declined," he simply came back to Earth and ran into some injury troubles.

And as far as him being a product of Thornton: Talk to Mark Bell or Nils Ekman.

If given a top-6 role, there is little doubt in my mind that if healthy, Cheechoo is still fully capable of scoring 30+ goals and earning every penny of his salary. If Cheechoo is a piece in a Heatley deal, I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There are a few huge fans of Ehrhoff praying for this to go down. From their POV he's better than any piece in the Edmonton trade - and they're hoping he's the one on his way here.

Another interesting tidbit. I like Ehrhoff, but I had recently soured on him a little for whatever reason.

Sophomore
Sophomore

Why wouldn't we take Marleau and Setoguchi for Heatley? I mean I think we have all moved past Heatley as a member of the team so why not get rid of him, get Setoguchi who looks like he could be a 40 goal scorer for the next few years, and with Marleau's money off the books next year pick up someone like Frolov or Savard who will be UFA's. In the end if you had Setoguchi and Frolov wouldn't you be happy??

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Having a player with a nickname like "Seto" is a big minus. "Gooch" is the way to go, just like the bully in Diff'rent Strokes.

well who in the nhl would you think fits the bill of a "gooch", pretty sure I haven't heard that one yet in the circle of nhl nicknames.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

111519 wrote:Why wouldn't we take Marleau and Setoguchi for Heatley? I mean I think we have all moved past Heatley as a member of the team so why not get rid of him, get Setoguchi who looks like he could be a 40 goal scorer for the next few years, and with Marleau's money off the books next year pick up someone like Frolov or Savard who will be UFA's. In the end if you had Setoguchi and Frolov wouldn't you be happy??

Yes. DancingBanana

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:There are a few huge fans of Ehrhoff praying for this to go down. From their POV he's better than any piece in the Edmonton trade - and they're hoping he's the one on his way here.

Another interesting tidbit. I like Ehrhoff, but I had recently soured on him a little for whatever reason.

A 3.1 million cap hit until 2010/11?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

111519 wrote:Why wouldn't we take Marleau and Setoguchi for Heatley? I mean I think we have all moved past Heatley as a member of the team so why not get rid of him, get Setoguchi who looks like he could be a 40 goal scorer for the next few years, and with Marleau's money off the books next year pick up someone like Frolov or Savard who will be UFA's. In the end if you had Setoguchi and Frolov wouldn't you be happy??

There's rumours that Marleau is not gonna waive his NMC, even though Melnyk and Murray both want him very, very badly. He might no longer be in play.

Which means there's little to no chance a SJ deal goes through I would imagine.

Which sucks... Tantrum

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
A 3.1 million cap hit until 2010/11?

No, it's not that. That's decent for a guy hitting his prime and putting up 40+ points.

It was his playoffs if I remember correctly. He was horrid.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
jamvan wrote:

That would be fantastic.
One of the few rumors from that site that actually makes some sense.  My prediction (and I did call SJ as Heatley's destination from day one) is Marleau to the habs for picks and prospects and Michalek, Erhoff + for Heatley with J.Smith going on LTIR.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think we can all agree that making a deal with SJS is awful tough from all angles.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I definitely have my reservations about him, but at the same time, I'm never opposed to giving this kind of guy a chance at proving himself on a different team. A lot of the times, that is all these guys need, a change of scenery. Look how ridiculous he was his first year with Thornton. It could be the exact same for him here, playing with Spezza. I don't know how we can do it under the Cap though, that's the biggest problem here. I could be wrong, but wouldn't it bring us over the cap if we acquired him?

I am not opposed to giving him a chance here and seeing what he can do. Same goes for Penner. I see them in a negative light, but I might not be as well informed as I should be before jumping to any conclusions.

I think that there are a lot of guys out there that might be underperforming right now (whether it be for the past year or longer) that could really benefit from a change of scenery and a change of partners.

I believe that Spezza could bring the best out of just about anyone and same goes for Alfie.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

To add to that ^ - the dynamic duo of the NHL since the lockout is Spezza/Alfie (I think they were third actually), NOT Spezza/Heatley. So we have our duo up on line one without Heatley. So do we want to spend 7.5 million for overkill? That must be where the idea of Fat Penner came in.

Poor eklund is slowing down in his old age ... I have a hard time to believe since his 'hands down' vinnie to montreal week.

his rumours today might as well read: "15 Teams in the NHL are interested in Tanguay" and "San Jose are talking to other gm's"

No Dung Sherlock! Also, that in-line video of that chick on hockeybuzz is driving me nuts!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

HowieMorenz wrote:Poor eklund is slowing down in his old age ... I have a hard time to believe since his 'hands down' vinnie to montreal week.

his rumours today might as well read: "15 Teams in the NHL are interested in Tanguay" and "San Jose are talking to other gm's"

No Dung Sherlock! Also, that in-line video of that chick on hockeybuzz is driving me nuts!

That woman Julie is driving me crazy - and not in a good way. Ahhhhh!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
HowieMorenz wrote:Poor eklund is slowing down in his old age ... I have a hard time to believe since his 'hands down' vinnie to montreal week.

That woman Julie is driving me crazy - and not in a good way. Ahhhhh!

She does love hockey, apparently...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum