GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A rumour is still a rumour - even if it is Eklund

+13
Phoenix30
Vandelay
jamvan
SensFan71
rooneypoo
Sens19
TheAvatar
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hayden
SensGirl11
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You seem really pre-occupied with what San Jose has to do to fit under the cap. :^^^^:

We're not in a position to push at this point. There's a lot of factors to consider besides taking on extra bodies on an already bloated roster, one of which is surely untradeable.

If I were GM, I would be more inclined to take Marleau and Lukowich along with a substantial number of picks and prospects for Heatley and Lee rather than wait and see if SJS can sort out their cap problems. It saves us both a little cap room too without all the hassle of finding other deals.

By the way, Jason Smith looks to be eligible for a buyout for a savings of 1.7 million next year.

jamvan

Veteran
Veteran

Marleau will not waive, so this deal is not even close to going down.

Heatley will be in Edmonton to start the year.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

jamvan wrote:Marleau will not waive, so this deal is not even close to going down.

Source? :^^^^:

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
jamvan wrote:Marleau will not waive, so this deal is not even close to going down.

Source? :^^^^:
Save

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I've heard the same. Probably a good thing. The salary would hurt us too much and we need a viable option for the wing cap wise. I would say Michalek and Ehrhoff, but that equals the Heatley salary.

Michalek and Couture and Demers would be acceptable IMO.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:You seem really pre-occupied with what San Jose has to do to fit under the cap. :^^^^:

We're not in a position to push at this point. There's a lot of factors to consider besides taking on extra bodies on an already bloated roster, one of which is surely untradeable.

If I were GM, I would be more inclined to take Marleau and Lukowich along with a substantial number of picks and prospects for Heatley and Lee rather than wait and see if SJS can sort out their cap problems. It saves us both a little cap room too without all the hassle of finding other deals.

By the way, Jason Smith looks to be eligible for a buyout for a savings of 1.7 million next year.

So make the move for Michalek as soon as you can, and let SJS work on dealing Marleau if and when they want.

No matter what happens, SJS has to make another move after they bring in Heatley. Both OTT and SJS are effectively over the cap. Trading with each other won't solve that problem. If SJS trades Marleau or Michalek for Heatley, they have to make another move or two.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

I've heard the same. Probably a good thing. The salary would hurt us too much and we need a viable option for the wing cap wise. I would say Michalek and Ehrhoff, but that equals the Heatley salary.

Michalek and Couture and Demers would be acceptable IMO.

How would Michalek and Ehrhoff or Couture and Demers be a acceptable if Heatley will be in Edmonton to start the year?

I don't get it? Shrug

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:So make the move for Michalek as soon as you can, and let SJS work on dealing Marleau if and when they want.

No matter what happens, SJS has to make another move after they bring in Heatley. Both OTT and SJS are effectively over the cap. Trading with each other won't solve that problem. If SJS trades Marleau or Michalek for Heatley, they have to make another move or two.

Whatever. I posted a straightforward trade that saves both teams cap space. In Ottawa's case enough to sign Elliott.

I guess it's only possible if you say it is. :^^^^:

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
How would Michalek and Ehrhoff or Couture and Demers be a acceptable if Heatley will be in Edmonton to start the year?

I don't get it? Shrug

Oops, that was me responding to Jamvan saying that Marleau won't waive his NMC. I automatically jumped to the next best scenario in SJ because Heatley will go there. Edmonton? He might be forced to soon, but I can't imagine he wants to with what he's done to them thus far.

If it's Edmonton, the price should have gone up big time IMO.

Gilbert, Cogliano and Penner (to take salary), we don't have to take him if they don't want though.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nope, those three guys are 9 million+. I want Eberle or MPS, we can take Gibert out for one of them if need be.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Lest we forget, Heatley plays for 4 million bucks next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray tries to squeeze more out of the Greasers on that basis.

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Nope, those three guys are 9 million+. I want Eberle or MPS, we can take Gibert out for one of them if need be.

I think the deal is still the same players, just Edmonton taking back some salary to get us cap friendly in Smith (if he can play) and/or Schubert.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Whatever. I posted a straightforward trade that saves both teams cap space. In Ottawa's case enough to sign Elliott.

Dude, you're advocating that OTT trading for Marleau rather than Michalek is somehow easier, simpler for everyone involved. All I've done is point out that that's not the case. And your retort is this ad hominem crap? Whatever.

We're talking about 2 teams both who are both effectively over the cap. Whoever SJ moves to get Heatley, they will have to move someone else after, on a significant contract. There's no debating that.

And depending on what OTT acquires, we might have to make a move, too. The ideal Heatley trade for OTT will clear $2.5 mil (or more) in cap space on the deal -- enough to sign Elliott and give us the requisite $1.5+ mil breathing room. That's why Michalek fits the bill so much better: Heatley for Michalek+ ideally frees up over $3 mil in cap space, which is perfect. Marleau, not so much.

If we can't get a trade that clears out $2.5 mil or more in cap space, we'll probably have to clear some cap space ourselves. Starting, presumably, with Schubert and Smith.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Nope, those three guys are 9 million+. I want Eberle or MPS, we can take Gibert out for one of them if need be.

I think the deal is still the same players, just Edmonton taking back some salary to get us cap friendly in Smith (if he can play) and/or Schubert.

Agreed. With the players' names released, the cat's out of the bag for EDM. Something like us adding Smith and EDM adding, say, a 3rd or 4th rounder sounds right.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Dude, you're advocating that OTT trading for Marleau rather than Michalek is somehow easier, simpler for everyone involved. All I've done is point out that that's not the case. And your retort is this ad hominem crap? Whatever.

What did you call me?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Lest we forget, Heatley plays for 4 million bucks next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray tries to squeeze more out of the Greasers on that basis.

Hmmm...

Gilbert - 4 million, 5 more years, 45 points last season , 26 years old- 60 point ceiling

Cogliano - 1.1 million, RFA next year, 18 goals, 38 points, 22 years old, 60 point ceiling

Gagner - 1.6, RFA next year, 19 years old, 41 points, 80 point ceiling

Fat Penner - 4.2 million, 3 more years, 17 goals last year, 30 goal ceiling

Eberle and MPS as the prospects, 1st rounder from next year as another valuable piece

Assuming we have to take Fat Penner as a salary dump and Gagner won't be traded, who's more important to our franchise? Cogliano or Gilbert or one of the prospects?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:I think the deal is still the same players, just Edmonton taking back some salary to get us cap friendly in Smith (if he can play) and/or Schubert.

I would assume so, yeah. But at least this gives Murray some time to really think about it one last time.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

What did you call me?

An ad hominem attack is one that targets the writer's person, and not the argument he/she is making. It substitutes personal invective for meaningful engagement with the opponent's argument. It is an evasive tactic that forgoes logic, usually employed by people who don't know how to dispute another person's argument, but want to disagree anyway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum