GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A rumour is still a rumour - even if it is Eklund

+13
Phoenix30
Vandelay
jamvan
SensFan71
rooneypoo
Sens19
TheAvatar
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hayden
SensGirl11
PTFlea
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

am waiting for response ... this is getting quite entertaining

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Obviously. I was just kidding, of course. I do that occasionally. If I were that mean, I would make fun of that crooked mustache of yours. In fact, I didn't mean to imply anything at all.

Anyhow, try trading Heatley and Lee for Marleau and Lukowich assuming Ottawa buys out Lukowich and Lee plays in Worcester.

My mustache rules, pumpkinhead.

In that deal, OTT takes on $6.3 mil (Marleau) + $522K (Lukowich's buyout), or just a tad under $7 mil ($6.822 mil). Total cap savings on the deal: $678K ($7.5 - 6.822). Currently, we have $286K in cap space; with this deal, we'd have $964K in cap space. That means that, after we sign Elliott, we need to free up about another $2 mil for injuries and call ups. If Smith is moved, then that number moves closer to $3.3 mil, as we'd have to make room for Lee or Karlsson.

Similarly, in that deal, SJS takes on Heatley ($7.5 mil). Total cap savings: $7.866 (Marleau's $6.3 + Lukowich's $1.566) - $7.5 mil = $366K. Their current cap space is $217K; with this deal, they'd have $583K in cap space -- with only 9 forwards, 6 D, and one goalie. To fill out the rest of the line up, SJ would need to move, at minimum, one $4 mil contract -- that's for 3 cheap forwards from the farm (say, $2 mil total), plus one cheap backup (say, $1 mil), plus the requisite cap space ($1.5 mil minimum).

Ideally, any deal OTT makes for Heatley will create a minimum of $2.5 mil in cap space. By the same token, if SJ wants to make any deal for Heatley, they will have to two TWO significant contracts -- and, as far as I can tell, Marleau will have to be one of them, while Michalek, Cheechoo, or Ehrhoff will have to be the other.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Indeed. Which essentially leaves San Jose with Michalek or Ehrhoff to move which would be far easier than dealing Marleau.

And it leaves Ottawa to move someone else, that they would have had to move anyway because Cheechoo wouldn't be going anywhere.

I don't think the deal is "ideal" for either team no matter who is involved.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Indeed. Which essentially leaves San Jose with Michalek or Ehrhoff to move which would be far easier than dealing Marleau.

And it leaves Ottawa to move someone else, that they would have had to move anyway because Cheechoo wouldn't be going anywhere.

I don't think the deal is "ideal" for either team no matter who is involved.

I don't think SJS will have any problems dealing Marleau -- there are so many teams desperate for scoring, star-power, etc. -- and I certainly think he'd be easier to move than Ehrhoff. Michalek, I agree, would be the most sought after of all the players mentioned here, but SJS has apparently been shopping Ehrhoff for some time.

Nevermind that I have serious reservations about OTT spending that much money on another forward, short or long term, as well as reservations about giving up our prime asset in Heatley for a guy on a one-year deal -- I find it implausible that Marleau will waive his NTC to come here. We're not exactly a desirable destination.

From BM's/OTT's perspective, Michalek is the better pick up -- and yes, I do think we're in a position to push for him. He's younger and signed long term to a contract that we can actually squeeze in to our cap going forward.

Getting Marleau now and losing him the next year would be a huge PR disaster and would probably cost BM his job; and signing Marleau long term is probably not an option for us, given that he will command considerably more than Michalek's current deal. When I see guys like Cammalleri signing for 6x5, I have no illusions: Marleau's next deal will still be considerable, probably in the $5.5-6 mil range. That $1.5-2 mil difference is pretty big for OTT in 2010: it's the difference between having to move one of Kuba or Volchenkov, or maybe just having to move Kelly.

If the deal has to be with SJS, then for me it's Michalek or bust. I'll leave SJS to get the best deal they can for Marleau -- probably something like a strong back up (Halak, Harding), a strong prospect, and a pick. SJS has been raping their farm for years, and a Heatley deal will only hurt it more, costing them one of Couture or McGinn for sure, if not more. They need to re-stock there, too, almost as badly as they need to sort out their cap situation for this year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Marleau might be impossible to move if he doesn't agree to waive his NTC.

That would end any Sens/Sharks speculation in a hurry.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Marleau might be impossible to move if he doesn't agree to waive his NTC.

Yeah. I think it was Nabokov who said he would do anything, including accepting a trade. Marleau said, at least it was implied from a few media sources, that he would be willing to step down from Captain of the team. But there was no mention of accepting a trade or not.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Marleau might be impossible to move if he doesn't agree to waive his NTC.

Very true. Marleau refusing to move anywhere would seriously throw a wrench into SJS's bid to acquire Heatley.

It would mean moving all of Michalek, Ehrhoff, and Cheechoo -- Michalek to OTT, the other two elsewhere for depth, backup, prospects, picks. Seeing as Cheechoo appears to have negative value, that's probably not an option SJS should be pursuing.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Lest we forget, Heatley plays for 4 million bucks next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Murray tries to squeeze more out of the Greasers on that basis.

Hmmm...

Gilbert - 4 million, 5 more years, 45 points last season , 26 years old- 60 point ceiling

Cogliano - 1.1 million, RFA next year, 18 goals, 38 points, 22 years old, 60 point ceiling

Gagner - 1.6, RFA next year, 19 years old, 41 points, 80 point ceiling

Fat Penner - 4.2 million, 3 more years, 17 goals last year, 30 goal ceiling

Eberle and MPS as the prospects, 1st rounder from next year as another valuable piece

Assuming we have to take Fat Penner as a salary dump and Gagner won't be traded, who's more important to our franchise? Cogliano or Gilbert or one of the prospects?

I'd say both Cogs and Gilbert can bring a lot to our franchise. Cogs brings youth, speed and skill that we lost when Vermette was moved.

Gilbert brings size, a right handed shot and is on a decent contract with still plenty of upside. He may be a little more expendable now that Greb has been resigned.

I have posted before and still stand by it that Penner would be a great asset to the team as well. The combination of size, skill/intangibles, and a fresh start could really do wonders for the him and our 1st line. The question becomes which of Penner and Gilbert would you prefer to go along with Cogs.

As for revising the deal. If I were Murray I would ask for a pick and a prospect while they take on Smith.

I've also seen it being mentioned that a 3rd team was interested but hasnt put an official offer yet. Any idea who it maybe?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum