GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where?

+27
Tuk Tuk
Riprock
Havlat9
dennycrane
Sp00nz
Vandelay
The Silfer Server
LeCaptain
Sens4thecup
TheAvatar
Phoenix30
Hayden
jamvan
Acrobat
ddt
beerandsens
shield4life
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
Hockeyhero22000
asq2
PKC
Mojo
PTFlea
shabbs
wprager
davetherave
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

How Will the Summer '09 Free Agent and Trade Market Be?

Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap29%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 5 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap27%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 4 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap29%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 9% [ 5 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap215%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 8 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap215%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 8 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap211%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 6 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap211%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 6 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap27%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 4 ]
Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_lcap21%Silly Season 2009: Free Agents and Trades--Who Goes Where? - Page 32 Vote_rcap2 1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 55

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 35]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It would be nice to have Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev and Tanguay up front...

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Well, just remember that the Ottawa Sun is responsible for reporting that "$1.2 mil" figure for Tanguay...

... which means I put zero stock in it.

My guess is that he'll get $3.5+ mil / yr on a short-term deal. Tanguay will not have to settle for a 400% or so discount.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:Well, just remember that the Ottawa Sun is responsible for reporting that "$1.2 mil" figure for Tanguay...

My guess is that he'll get $3.5+ mil / yr on a short-term deal. Tanguay will not have to settle for a 400% or so discount.
Agreed... he'll get a good offer but it may come down to the wire...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Wow. Best offer is listed at $1.2M? Holy. He's gonna have to suck it up or else make a jump to the KHL...

Maybe Murray can grab him on the real cheap.

Wink

No, Murray spent that (and then some) on Chris Neil.

Now do you guys begin to feel what many of us felt when the contract was signed? This is the situation: you overspend by just a little here and there (in Neil's case, I think it was more than just "a little", more like a third more) and the end result is that above average players are left out. As much as I love Neil for what he brings, what color is the sky in the universe where he makes almost double what Tanguay makes?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:It would be nice to have Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev and Tanguay up front...

You'd better have two Mike Fishers then to complement the skill with a little grit. Can Foligno play top-six for a full season?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Wow. Best offer is listed at $1.2M? Holy. He's gonna have to suck it up or else make a jump to the KHL...

Maybe Murray can grab him on the real cheap.

Wink

No, Murray spent that (and then some) on Chris Neil.

Now do you guys begin to feel what many of us felt when the contract was signed? This is the situation: you overspend by just a little here and there (in Neil's case, I think it was more than just "a little", more like a third more) and the end result is that above average players are left out. As much as I love Neil for what he brings, what color is the sky in the universe where he makes almost double what Tanguay makes?
Well, let's see what Tanguay actually signs for when he does... and I do agree we over paid for Neil... but that's history now.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:It would be nice to have Alfie, Spezza, Kovalev and Tanguay up front...

You'd better have two Mike Fishers then to complement the skill with a little grit. Can Foligno play top-six for a full season?
Hopefully not at the price we're paying him already...

Wink

Heh heh.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Well, just remember that the Ottawa Sun is responsible for reporting that "$1.2 mil" figure for Tanguay...

Agreed... he'll get a good offer but it may come down to the wire...

You just never know. He's got a young family so playing for a year in the KHL may be out of the question. Over there he could get $3-4M tax free, but if he doesn't have that leverage then he has little to negotiate with. I'm not saying he'd be forced to sign for $1.2M (if he did, he could grab that $4M contract in the KHL and put his family up somewhere in Europe with a private tutor for his daughter, for the duration of the KHL season).

We'll see how this shakes out, but he could be forced to sign something in the $2.5M range.

Burke spent $1M on Colton Orr and $1.4M on Wayne Primeau. Just sayin'

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

400% discount?

That'd be minus $16M and change....
80% discount sounds about right (give or take)...

[not to be picky or anything, but it's always gratifying to be able to correct someone who knows so much more than me in the use of language]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Acrobat wrote:

400% discount?

[not to be picky or anything, but it's always gratifying to be able to correct someone who knows so much more than me in the use of language]
Forgive him, he has a Ph.D. in English.

Wink

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:

400% discount?

I just meant that he would be making a full 4 times less than what he made the year before if he settled for $1.2 mil.

Lemme alone, I'm an English major! Facepalm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

400% discount?

I just meant that he would be making a full 4 times less than what he made the year before if he settled for $1.2 mil.

Lemme alone, I'm an English major! Facepalm
Heh heh. Still wrong, and we forgive you. I believe you're looking for the term "a quarter of what he made the year before".

Wink

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Heh heh. Still wrong, and we forgive you. I believe you're looking for the term "a quarter of what he made the year before".

Wink

No, I'm right on this last one -- $1.2 mil x 4 = $4.8 mil, or just under $5 mil -- I did double check with my calculator! Smile

Anyway, isn't it weird that a pay cut from $5 mil to $1.2 is "only" an 80% cut, whereas a pay raise from $1.2 mil to $5 mil is a pay increase of over 400%?

(Right???)

Math is stupid. cool)

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Wink

No, I'm right on this last one -- $1.2 mil x 4 = $4.8 mil, or just under $5 mil -- I did double check with my calculator! Smile

Anyway, isn't it weird that a pay cut from $5 mil to $1.2 is "only" an 80% cut, whereas a pay raise from $1.2 mil to $5 mil is a pay increase of over 400%?

(Right???)

Math is stupid. cool)
Math is awesome! (my degree was engineering btw)

When you say 4 times less... you subtract 4 times the original amount. So, if $4.8M is the amount he made last year (for example only), if he made 4 times less, you'd subtract 4 x $4.8M to get the result, which would be negative of course.

Percentage comparison is directional by nature so it depends entirely on what the value of the original number is when the comparison is done. 400% one way... 80% the other way... it's all relative and it all makes sense to me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You are using English to describe Mathematics. Now you're back in Dr. Poo's back yard.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:You are using English to describe Mathematics. Now you're back in Dr. Poo's back yard.

Prags>there you go again. Fluffing.
Wink

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:You are using English to describe Mathematics. Now you're back in Dr. Poo's back yard.
It was a necessity.

Nice fluffing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Look, you guys are both fluffing when you reply to my fluffs. You're re-fluffers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum